Thread: Genies

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Genies

Has the concept of genies ever been explored in the Harry Potter universe? Would they be classified as beasts or beings? What are their origins? How are they view by wizards from an academic standpoint?

Oh, all sorts of random ponderings just circling through my head.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Has the concept of genies ever been explored in the Harry Potter universe? Would they be classified as beasts or beings? What are their origins? How are they view by wizards from an academic standpoint?

Oh, all sorts of random ponderings just circling through my head.
    Your stereotypical genie lives in a lamp, and grants the possessor of that lamp (and thus the genie) three wishes. I doubt this popular image matches the original legends and stories about genies, but since most of the magic in the Harry Potter universe is based on modern, popular conceptions, the wish-granting spirit of the lamp is probably what would exist in the series, if they were to appear.

I think a genie would more closely fit the spirit category, and I suspect they would have Middle Eastern origins.

I doubt genies would be able to grant wishes, which is something that does not appear in the Harry Potter universe. However, if there are animals that make you unlucky (like the Mackled Malaclaw), there should be creatures or spirits that do the reverse, so I think having a genie in your possession would make you lucky.

As for living in lamps, I think these genie spirits are attracted to small spaces, but they don't necessarily have to inhabit lamps.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Maybe it is possible that genies do have a type of magic in them, but just don't have the ability to grant every wish that comes their way. We hear so many stories about people getting wishes by means of genies, but the genies, but the wishes go horribly wrong. Maybe this explaination is somehow a reflection of that.

Why they don't just tell people they really can't grant wishes, who can say?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!