Thread: Werewolf Registry

Hybrid View

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Werewolf Registry

I have been having a lot of my more recent thoughts leaning towards the subject of werewolves. For instance, does the Ministry of Magic have department that registers and keeps track of all werewolves? What do you suppose the penelty would be for not reporting a condition of lycanthropy?

What about Muggles who are bitten by werewolves? I assume that since all that in necessary is a bite from a werewolf to become infected yourself that Muggles can become werewolves just as wizards do. How would the Ministry find these people? How do you think Ministry involvement would differ if it were a Muggle who was affected by this condition? Would they be subject to the same laws a regulations as wizards would be?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I have been having a lot of my more recent thoughts leaning towards the subject of werewolves. For instance, does the Ministry of Magic have department that registers and keeps track of all werewolves? What do you suppose the penelty would be for not reporting a condition of lycanthropy?
    I would presume the Ministry would have something like this in the Department of the Control of Magical Creatures or something like that. I expect the penalties for not registering yourself as a werewolf would not be good - probably some time in Azkaban for potentially putting lives at risk.

What about Muggles who are bitten by werewolves? I assume that since all that in necessary is a bite from a werewolf to become infected yourself that Muggles can become werewolves just as wizards do. How would the Ministry find these people? How do you think Ministry involvement would differ if it were a Muggle who was affected by this condition? Would they be subject to the same laws a regulations as wizards would be?
    The Ministry of Magic is good at spotting magic performed on Muggles, but a werewolf bite has nothing inherently magical about it - there are no spells involved. I'm not exactly sure the Ministry of Magic would even know about Muggles being bitten until they hear some rumours or reports of werewolf activity in the Muggle world. They'd probably learn of Muggle werewolves eventually, but I doubt they'd know about them the moment they are turned into werewolves.

As for Muggle werewolves the Ministry knows about... I think they would be treated like Squibs. They'd couldn't continue to live as a Muggle with lycanthropy, so I think they would have to be taken into the wizarding world where they can be regulated and controlled. But not having magical powers themselves (and werewolves to boot), they'd probably just be like Squibs, I suppose.

Tim the Enchanter

Inverarity
    Alternatively, perhaps only wizards can become werewolves. Maybe Muggles bitten by werewolves just die.

(It's the old population multiplication problem -- if you assume a werewolf goes on a rampage once a month, and will, on at least some of those months, end up mauling someone, and everyone who gets mauled transforms, you're going to have a lot of werewolves after a few years.)

I believe (though I am not sure) that Rowling said that only wizards can become vampires. If that's the case, then it would make sense for this to be true of lycanthropy as well.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Alternatively, perhaps only wizards can become werewolves. Maybe Muggles bitten by werewolves just die.
    I don't know. I've looked through all the resources there are on Harry Potter werewolves and nothing says only wizards become werewolves; it just said 'human'. Maybe Muggles just have a greater chance of dying for the same reason why wizards are said to live longer than Muggles and don't get very many Muggle diseases.

Also, I imagine that werewolves kill a great many of their victims since they seem to have such a taste for human flesh. Maybe the reason we don't see a great deal of werewolves is because there just isn't a very high survival rate for werewolf attacks of any kind. I doubt a werewolf will just bite you and leave.

As to vampires, I have looked up the Harry Potter info there and the general concensis seems to be that we just don't know a lot about what vampires are portrayed as in the world of Harry Potter. We may end up just having to rely on other know legends to fill in the gaps for these creatures.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Also, I imagine that werewolves kill a great many of their victims since they seem to have such a taste for human flesh. Maybe the reason we don't see a great deal of werewolves is because there just isn't a very high survival rate for werewolf attacks of any kind. I doubt a werewolf will just bite you and leave.
    That is a good point. Perhaps wizards, being able to perform spells and just being innately magical would have better defenses against werewolves, in both being able to ward off the werewolf and surviving the bite. However, I still think that it is possible for Muggles to become werewolves.

Now, I have a weird question...

If we ignore the fact that the planet Mars has no breathable atmosphere and that people would die if left exposed to its environment, what do you think would happen if you were to transport a werewolf from Earth to Mars? How would the werewolf's transformation cycle be affected by the presence of two Martian moons with low albedo? Would these dark moons produce full moons, and do you think a werewolf on Mars would transform in accordance to phases of Phobos and Deimos? Or do you think all werewolves are tied to the phases of Earth's Moon, regardless of the werewolf's distance from Luna?

Tim the Enchanter

Finest Firewhisky
    I think werewolf transformations are directly tied to Luna, as it appears to be a thing of powerful magic in the HP universe. I doubt that any moon would cause the same effect, after all Earth has other moons (objects much further away that orbit the earth to some extent) and I doubt they would affect werewolves at all. I also think that werewolf transformatons, since they depend on the phases of the moon, would depend on how the moon is visible from Mars, if at all. Mars is visible from Earth on some nights, so Earth would be visible from Mars, but I'm not sure about the Moon.