Thread: Did the marauders have any other dorm mates?

Lily Windsor

Did the marauders have any other dorm mates?

Do you think the marauders had any other Gryffindor dorm mates. I don't believe any were ever mentioned but I'd like to hear peoples opinions on this.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    You're right, none were ever mentioned, so you can make one up if you think that there were five boys in that year. Some people think that it's unlikely that there were five of each gender in every house thoughout Hogwarts history, the probablility of that actually happening would be incredibly small indeed, so if you just want to make it that there were only four Gryffindor boys that year then go ahead. Alternately, you could have more than five boys in the year; I imagine that the remaining boy would feel quite lonely and left out as he wasn't part of the Marauders. You've got a free rein, basically.

One thing I would caution against is the use of Frank Longbottom as the fifth boy. He had to be at least a year older, if not more, than the Marauders, due to the time it take to complete Auror training and establish the reputation he apparently had as an Auror when he was tortured.

I hope this help!

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Lily Windsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire at Dawn
    You're right, none were ever mentioned, so you can make one up if you think that there were five boys in that year. Some people think that it's unlikely that there were five of each gender in every house thoughout Hogwarts history, the probablility of that actually happening would be incredibly small indeed, so if you just want to make it that there were only four Gryffindor boys that year then go ahead. Alternately, you could have more than five boys in the year; I imagine that the remaining boy would feel quite lonely and left out as he wasn't part of the Marauders. You've got a free rein, basically.

One thing I would caution against is the use of Frank Longbottom as the fifth boy. He had to be at least a year older, if not more, than the Marauders, due to the time it take to complete Auror training and establish the reputation he apparently had as an Auror when he was tortured.

I hope this help!

Sarah x
    Thanks Sarah. Not to worry, in my story Frank Longbottom is around sixth/seventh year I think (I have a list I made somewhere, lol). No, if I add any more dorm mates they will be OC's.

Personally I wouldn't exceed six boys in one dorm for the simple reason that (from a writers point of view) I couldn't handle writing about more than six I don't think. But the way I see it, Hogwarts can't possibly know how many students will be divided between each house every year as it will completely vary depending on each student. So I always see it as after each sorting the dorm rooms magically adjust to cater for the number of students that have been sorted into that house. So I agree that there wouldn't be five students in that dorm every year, lol, (afterall, weren't there only three in Hermione's dorm). But I'm just trying to evaluate whether adding one or two more students would work.

Thanks for your input.

Any other opinions?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    As a matter of fact we don't realy know that they were all in the same dorm, we theorize and it is extremely likely, but there's nothing in canon about MWPP all sharing a room.

I would caution against adding another boy into their room because it would have been impossible for the Marauders to get up to half their midnight wanderings with another boy around.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I personally don't feel like there was a fifth boy in the Gryffindor dorms with the Marauders. For starters, what was it that he did to be excluded from the group? And second, we have all heard the arguement of the 'missing' Gryffindor girls when there only appear to be three in Harry's year: Lavender, Parvati, and Hermione.

The arguement seems very OCD to me, to think that every House needs to have five members. Let's look at the people we know are in the other Houses.

Slytherin has three girls: Pansy, Millicent, and Daphne, and five boys: Draco, Crabb, Goyal, Theodore, and Blaise.

And in Ravenclaw, we know of four girls: Morag, Lisa, Mandy, and Padma, and four Ravenclaw boys: Anthony, Micheal, Kevin and Terry.

And finally, Hufflepuff, we have the girls: Sally-Anne, Hannah, Megan, and Susan, and the boys: Ernie, Justin, Stephan, Wayne, and Zacharias.

Then we have a few people who we do not know where they end up: Lil-something Moon, Sally-Anne Perks (though most likely a Hufflepuff), Rivers, Roper, Runecorn, and Spinks. These will mean it is possible that some Houses even have six members. There is also a Su Li, though it is believed that this girl was just an early prototype of Cho Chang.

Information is taken from the Secrets of the Classlist essay, which is a surprisingly good read.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!