Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Knockpixel Critique V2

JokerBlue
    I think the colour scheme you've picked is really good, it certainly suits the word 'Enchanted', however I think the objects themselves are a little dark and undefined, which makes the banner itself look a little flat. Upping the contrast and putting in a light texture might help, or maybe lowering the opacity on some of the layers. The colours are beautiful, but they should enhance, not smother I do love the images themselves, so it'd be nice to see more. I love the person int he witch doctors mask - ultra creepy

Here's mine, it's been ages since I did any graphic art, so I imagine I've got very rusty.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Belching up Slugs
    **Should be below SingingWren's post**

Jokerblue: I'd work on the composition in this. At first glance, your banner looks like a blur of color and it's only when I pause and focus hard that I can see individual images emerging. The yellow in the center is much brighter than the rest of the banner, so the eye goes there first, but there's nothing to be seen! Try rearranging the images so that there's something for the eye to focus on, and use coloring to draw the eye towards that point, not away.

SingingWren: What bothers me most are the vertical lines dividing the left from the right. It's very harsh, and keep the banner from looking like a cohesive whole. Really, I'd take them out and work out a different way to keep the two images of Kurt distinct, but blended nicely together. The black and white is nice, but I think the larger Kurt needs a bit more contrast, his shadows are much lighter than on the smaller one. The text also is a bit too blocky and far too the side, like the lines it's breaking up the flow of the banner. Maybe change one of the fonts to a script-y one instead, and shift the text more towards the center of the banner.

~Bella

SingingWren
    Ooh, I find that absolutely delightful! The way that the colours blend into each other is so effortless. The colours you've chosen in general are quite lovely to look at. And I love the mystery of the banner! The longer I look at it, the more things I discover. I'm trying so hard to come up with a critique and finding it quite difficult. The only thing I'm not quite sure about is the brownish tinge around the edges. Compared to the cleanliness of the rest of the colours it looks a little out of place, though I like how it gives perspective. I would maybe just lighten the hue of it the slightest bit, but that's my humble opinion. Overall, I am so impressed!

I made this banner after watching the latest episode of Glee. There's something off about it, but I can't figure out what. Any help? (Hehe, sorry about the Glee overload with my signature and my avatar in combination with this. I'm a little obsessed at the moment).

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Haha, I would have to critique Karen's banner I know you fixed it and stuff already, but if I want mine critiqued

You know that I love your bannering work I really like how you used the font and Kurt's face on the right side. I'm not a huge fan of the vertical line and checkerboard thing. Maybe if you blended the other picture into the other texture...I really like the black and white effect of the whole thing.

Gosh, this is hard as I critiqued it TWICE in your other thread. I think you really captured the mood perfectly, and your focal point is perfect

Ok, as for my banner:

I really like the left side of the banner, but the right looks empty. I tried putting in fireworks, but it just made it look cheap. I`m at a loss. Any ideas? I'd like a very honest critique
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Third Year Gryffindor
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Maple: This banner has a lot of interesting images and I really like your placement. I can see that this banner has a lot of potential. Now, while the banner is made up of a lot of interesting images, ideas and colour schemes, you can make all the images blend in together better. To spice up the right side, try using some brushes. Play around and eventually something will work. To make the banner more dramatic, I would suggest unsaturating Remus Lupin a little and increasing the contrast of the background as well as Remus. Have you tried putting a few golden sparkles around 'Firework'? I think that would look nice. Also, you could raise the first line of text just a smidgen so that it doesn't brush Remus' head. You've used a really nice font for the word 'Firework'. Jane Austen I think, very appropriate.

So I decided to put my horribly rusty bannermaking skills to use and made a few different versions of the same banner, but I cant decide which one to pick-

1)

or

2)

or

3)

Harsh critique will do just fine.

k5c
    wendelin the wierd: Well firstly I'd like to say your bannermaking skills are anything but rusty if these three banners are anything to go by! I really like all of them. I would say number 1 is the best (my prefrence anyway). The colours and softness in the first banner really emphasise the feeling of closeness of the couple. I also like the brush you have used. In the second and third, I feel the colour is too bright for the feeling the quote evokes, as if it's overpowering the image. I think that is why the first banner works so well. I love your use of font and the way it is set out compared to the couple. I also like the your use of the copy of the same line of text and having one line fading, it adds a very nice touch!
    I hope that was okay for you wendelin as I've never done this banner critique before!

Well I've been making banners for a few weeks now and never had the courage to show any of them...so here goes, this is a character banner for Ginny Weasley

medium to harsh critique thanks, I want to improve!

Third Year Gryffindor
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    K5c: Wow. This banner is gorgeous, I love the colour scheme and the overall feel of this banner. The image placement is really interesting and you've used some very appropriate brushes. They go along marvellously with the rest of the banner. The thing I like most about this banner is that it is just so very interesting, and pretty. I would change the colour of the text though. While the present colour is very interesting, you do need the text to stand out a little. Also, I would either erase or smudge the part of right Ginny's back which is seen through the left Ginny's hair. It is a little visible and the banner will just look much better if this is done. Overall, I must say that it's really hard to believe that you've only been bannermaking for a few weeks. You've done a really good job with this one.

Mine,

Rip.
    Banner by the wonderful Minnabird
    Author Page ~ Banner thread ~
    PI Accredition

k5c
    wendelin the wierd: I love it! I really like how you've merged the image of Hermione with the library image. I also really like the effect over the overall image, giving a kind of weathered, angsty look. I also love your colour theme, and feel it makes the banner look just lovely! The only thing I'm not sure about is the text, it seems a bit blurry and makes my eyes feel a bit funny. I do like the font you've used though, really gels with the rest of the image. You've done a great job with this banner! Congrats!

Mine's. I have been influenced by the newly released Deathly Hallows Part 2 posters!

Medium to harsh critique if you please

IllusionofSunlight
    I think this is a really good banner, firstly i like the blend of colours, also I like the text you've used with using the different colour/font for "ends", the text placement lloks good but the only thing I would say is experiment with moving the text over to the right in that blank space and see what it looks like, it's probably just me with my OCD symmetricalness though, also I'm personally not a fan of that particular picture of Voldermort, but apart from that I congratulate you, amazing banner

Ok I have only been making graphics for about a week, but some medium/harsh criticism would be appreciated

Mags
    k5c: Love the color! The texture in the background is good too. I think changing the text color will help the banner a lot. The overall coloring in the banner is sorta sepia, but the text is grey, try going with a sepia tone for the text too so it goes more with the banner. Also, the blending of Voldemort and Harry needs a little work, they are blended well, but the edge of Volde-poo's face, where it is the brightest, kinda fades away and doesn't look right. I am guessing that part of his face was in bright light and melted in with the background of his image, try faking the edge shape of his face when you are blending, but use a harder brush, so the edge of his cheek isn't so blurry or try adding another texture layer over them and have it go right up to the edge of his face to cover that. Also, Harry's hair that is over Voldemort's face, it is too severe of a cut/blend. I don't know if you used the eraser tool or a layer mask to that, but go back over it with a softer brush, just a little softer, and that should lower the abruptness of the edge.

Illusion of Sunlight: Great work for only making graphics for a week! My first banners were horrible! This is not bad! Good cut out of Draco! I would suggest taking the blur brush to soften any parts of him that didn't cut too well to soften his edges from looking pixelated. Text/Font: The words are not happy, but the font you use kinda is. I would go for something different. The blue color kind of throws me off. Maybe if you add a little blue to the background, it would blend better with the whole piece, maybe add a layer of blue and then play with the opacity and/or blending mode to add some color to the background. Or you could just make the banner all black and white. The white you have in the texture in the background is VERY bright, try lowering the contrast/brightness a bit to keep it from being blinding.

Medium to harsh critique would be great! Thank you!

Last edited by Mags; 06-12-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: updated banner for critique