Credit goes partway to x_GinnyPotter_x for her original suggestion in the KA Suggestion Box.
1. You may only post one banner at a time. However you may post two versions of the same banner if you are unsure about which is better. For example, if I have one banner with a balloon in the background and one with a lollipop, but both are else wise the same, you may post both. Please try to limit to two versions, don't post five with each a different color scheme. Yeah I know it's annoying to stare at 10 different canvases that are all tweaked a little bit for an hour and try to decide which is the best!
2. I DONT CARE IF ITS BEEN A YEAR SINCE THE LAST PERSON POSTED!
ALWAYS (<--- notice that it's bolded and BIG) critique the banner before you. Even if you have personally witness the person give that banner to the requester.
3. I was good, quality critique. No: "oh that's really good! Here's mine:" You must say at least two negative and two positive things above the banner before you. Why positive? Because we don't want anyones feelings hurt. There's gotta be something there that you like.
4. If you want, it is optional to choose a critique severity for your banner. If you're new to critique, I would suggest using this system, or if you really would perfer one of them specifically. Make sure to write down which category you want in your post! Otherwise, just ignored this system and you'll get what you get.
Mild, Medium, or Harsh.
Mild: "That's a really good banner! I think the coloring on her eyes is a little too blue- it looks unrealistic. Also, maybe you could sharpen it once. Just my two cents. However the composition is really nice- whatever you do DON'T MOVE THAT BUTTERFLY! Oh and also how did you ever pull off that artsy look? I could never do that! It really fits the theme. Good work!" Basically, you get praised but also some area to improve. Very vague which gives you a wide area to change. Choose this if you think your banner is so bad you just don't know where to start, you don't want to be upset, or you don't want to be told what to do.
Medium: "Hm... there's something weird about that girl, she doesn't look like Lily at all. Maybe you could try Kirsten Dunst? She's an old favorite of mine for Lily. Also the blending is a bit too soft on her arm... make sure you fix that whether or not you change the girl. I would use a hard eraser. I've seen some of your other work and I know you can do it! Otherwise, really really nice coloring! The blues and greens work very well together. Also the text flows nicely, is that Georgia? You've got some real talent!" In short, you gain some self-esteem, but not too much. There's definetely some stuff you've got to work on, but at least you've got detail instructions telling you how to go about it. There may be more than two things wrong with your banner though. I suggest this if you're happy with your banner but you want it to really be your best ever, or if you know there's something wrong but you're not quite sure how to fix it. Or it you just want some critique.
Harsh: "Eh, this isn't really my cup of tea. The two people are way too pixely... please blur over their skin. There's a tutorial how to do it here. Also the coloring is way too bright. You could try a levels layer but those are difficult so maybe you'll have to redo the selective coloring. And also, the text is not going to work. I think ibleum or Selfish would be much nicer. You can download them at dafont. Don't give up though this banner has potential. You chose nice images and the border was a good idea!" Really, you're fishing around for compliments. You want to be told what to do, but not how to do it. You want this banner torn to shreds, you want to break down and cry, and you definetely WONT say "You know what, I am not going to do all of that! I like this banner perfectly fine that's too much work!" afterwards. Hehe I know that feeling... Choose this option if you think your banner is the best thing that ever walked this earth, or if you're really strong willed. In which case, I am so jealous.
5. Please obide by the person's wishes. Critique how they want to be critiqued (Mild, Medium, or Harsh). DON'T be extremely harsh if they posted for Mild critique. If you don't want to do a certain type of critique that they are asking for, don't. Wait until another banner pops up that you can critique the right way.
6. The golden rule of critique. Critique how you want to be critiqued. Haha. No seriously, I don't want any nastiness. You know what I mean.
7. If you don't abide by these rules, penalties may be taken. These can include but are not limited to: Banning for the critique thread, disqualification from the current/upcoming challenge, or deletion of your post.
8. Before I forget and someone asks, BA members are allowed to critique in this thread. However they are NOT allowed to post banners for critique. In other words, there will be no images posted in a BA member's post. Only words. If a BA member critiqued before you, then please critique 2 people behind you. For example:
Ba Member - critiques person A
Person B- critiques person A
Yeah, I know, lucky person A. I'd suggest always checking to see if you've got two rounds of critique. BA members must abide by the same rules despite not being able to receive critique themselves.
^The same applies for anyone who just wants to critique, but not post a banner. Like Sitara nicely put it in the questions thread, sometimes you're just having a good day.
9. If one banner has been critiqued at least three times by means of rule nine, it is not required to post critique. There's only so much you can say about one banner!
10. You may request a certain type of critique if there's something in particular you would like. I'll use Ari's post as an example:
Or you could point to certain aspects of your banner, perhaps you really want help with that text. Or maybe there's something wrong with the image of the boat, but you just can't put your finger on it.
Originally Posted by A.H.
Well, that's all. Enjoy! Please direct questions to the Suggestions/Questions thread.
The last two banners posted in the old thread:
by the opaleye
Originally Posted by the opaleye
Originally Posted by Annalise28