Thread: Various questions on the HBP-year.

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Various questions on the HBP-year.

So I'm feeling out the idea for a story focused on Cho during her final year, and I'd dig some outside perspective on a couple of points.

1. What other students are in their final year during HBP? So far I've got Cho and Marietta Edgecomb (presumably), Katie Bell and her friend Leanne (against, presumably), Cormac McLaggen, and Roger Davies (who could be a year older and finished with Hogwarts, but I want a wider cast to draw from). Anybody I'm missing that we know is in this year? Any other students that could conceivably be in the year above Harry?

2. If a student was just to take off from Hogwarts - just get on their broom and go, say - how easy would it be for them to do so? Harry has a good track record of disappearing off the grounds, but those tend to be in exceptional circumstances, and judging from both GoF and OotP there's nothing like a warning system in place that says if any student has left the grounds. How long would it take before someone raised the alarm, so to speak? Again, Harry is all the time sneaking about the castle in the middle of the night - could a student realistically manage to slip away some time after the evening meal and be gone all night, and not have anyone really notice they were missing?

3. Does Katie Bell play in the last Quidditch match of the year, or is she still too injured?

4. Are students allowed in other Houses' common rooms? Like, at all? The Gryffindor and Slytherin common rooms are password-protected, but you could argue that it's a hold-over from the Founders wanting to protect their trade secrets, and we see in DH that technically anyone could get into the Ravenclaw common room, and it's never specifically forbidden, as far as I remember... In the spirit of inter-House unity, could a student of one House sort of vouch for a student of another for access into their common room?

5. What's the process for students electing to stay at Hogwarts or return home over the holidays? Do they just notify their Head of House? And is it only over Christmas, or is there another break where students can go home that I can't remember because Harry's usually at Hogwarts come break time?

Thanks for any illumination people can provide.
    There is shadow under this red rock,/ (Come in under the shadow of this red rock),/ And I will show you something
    different from either/ Your shadow at morning striding behind you/ Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;/

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

DuelManSeven | DrabbleManSeven | DeadManStories | DeadManSounds

Finest Firewhisky
    1. Having checked the Lexicon and the harry potter Wiki, there doesn't seem to be any explicitly metioned beyond those you listed. It is true that Davies is in the year above Cho. Other people mentioned who are probably older than Harry but are there in OOtP or HBP are mostly Quidditch players, like Urquhart and Montague from Slytherin and Cadwallader(chaser) and Summerby (Seeker) from Hufflepuff. Katie Bell I would think is in this year, as she is playing in PS/SS and first-years aren't supposed to have brooms (Harry being an exception).

2. It would be difficult to do, but possible. During HBP security is very tight, and so walking out of the front gates without a teacher would be a definate no (we saw Snape open the magically sealed gates for Harry at the start). However, it can be done, like how Malfoy did at the end of the book and Neville managed it in DH. So there are bound to be magical possibilities no-one thought of. An empty bed next to you might have you wondering, but you wouldn't get too worked up, you'd just assume they went to bed late and got up early.

3. Again, this isn't said, but there is no known reason for her not to play, (she recovered for the 2nd match) and a replacement was never named, so it's safe to assume she did.

4. I don't think they are. Students are encouraged to keep the password protected and knowledge of where the common room is secret. Harry goes into the Ravenclaw and Slytherin common rooms under very exceptional circumstances. I don't think it would be a serious offence, but not something done casually.

5. Students go home for Easter holidays as well as Christmas (late March - early April). I would think it would be a simple matter to organise staying, notifying your HoH sounds about right.

Hope this helps,
    Jake

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    2. It would be difficult to do, but possible. During HBP security is very tight, and so walking out of the front gates without a teacher would be a definate no (we saw Snape open the magically sealed gates for Harry at the start). However, it can be done, like how Malfoy did at the end of the book and Neville managed it in DH. So there are bound to be magical possibilities no-one thought of. An empty bed next to you might have you wondering, but you wouldn't get too worked up, you'd just assume they went to bed late and got up early.
    I don't know... security was so tight during HBP... Doesn't Dumbledore have to lift some spells first before they can break through the barrier surrounding the castle on their brooms when they return from the cave? I don't think it would be possible to actually leave the school grounds just like that. You would probably run into some kind of invisible barrier... Maybe there would be a way through or over the forest, but I'm still not sure. But you could make it during or after a Hogsmeade trip, when they were still allowed?

5. What's the process for students electing to stay at Hogwarts or return home over the holidays? Do they just notify their Head of House?.
    If I remember correctly, there is a list on the house notice board where you can write your name down if you wish to stay.

Well all right, I looked it up. It says in PS/SS:
    Professor McGonagall had come around the week before, making a list of students who would be staying for the holidays, and Harry had signed up at once.
    In CoS:
    In the second week of December Professor McGonagall came around as usual, collecting names of those who would be staying at school for Christmas. Harry, Ron, and Hermione signed her list; they had heard that Malfoy was staying, which struck them as very suspicious.
    So, I'd assume that that's how it's done. I don't think there's anything mentioned again in the years after that, but it looks like Professor McGonagall has them sign a list at a specific time, and in an organised manner.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey