Thread: Half-term?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!

Half-term?

I'm not sure if this really belongs here or in the Reference Desk, so mods, feel free to move it if I've put it in the wrong place.

Basically, what I wanted to ask was is it a plausible idea for there to be a half-term holiday at Hogwarts in the next gen? I've got the idea that since there is a new, married, Headmistress, she would want to spend more time with her family, and felt that the students should also have the opportunity to go back to their families as well.

I've got a scene that needs the absence of most of my MC's friends so that she goes and talks to some new people and I initally had it as being in the Christmas holidays, but that's too late now I've got other aspects of my plot planned out, so is a half-term holiday with their Christmases, Easters and summer holdiays shortened a believable idea? Are there other reasons that there could be a half-term holiday?

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Most UK boarding schools do (I think) have a one week half term holiday corresponding with the standard school terms.

That would be October Week (aka Blackberry Week in my part of the world), Spring Holiday and Whit Week.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Yeah, I think they do. My boarding schools did, anyway. What about the reasons why? I don't want readers to read it and groan because it's not something that's in the books or is obviously something I've added in for them to meet (which it is, but I want to have a good and believable reason behind it).

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    The addition of a new half-term holiday could come about for several reasons. The new Headmistress is just one.

I think that we can safely assume that Lucius Malfoy is no longer a school governor.

If the governors actually represent the pupils then about 25% (I think) of the pupils are Muggleborn and 50% are halfblood. It is possible possible that 25% or more of the Governors are not merely Muggleborn, they are Muggles. This figure could be higher if it is the Muggle parent of a halfblood who takes an interest. The traditionalists may protest, but Muggle parents may want to see more of their children.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers