Thread: Pride & Prejudice, Potter Style

type-n-shadow

Pride & Prejudice, Potter Style

It is a truth universally acknowledged that if there are two literary geniuses of the female sex in existence within such a short time as two centuries as one another, (J.K. Rowling and Jane Austen) they must be compared by that devotee which....is you!

I've had this idea for a long time and I keep meaning to write it. I think it would be wonderfully entertaining, especially if you use an Austen-esque style of writing.

I will relate to you the actors which I have cast in our little play of words:
    Mr. Darcy - James Potter
    Elizabeth Bennet - Lily Evans
    Charles Bingly - Sirius Black
    Colonel Fitzwilliam - Remus Lupin
    Mr. Collins - Severus Snape
    Mr. Wickham - Rabastan Lestrange (or someone to that effect)
    Charlotte Lucas - OC ( a girl who Lily befriends, probably not in the same house. Plain & a little desperate, but very sensible)
    Mary Bennet - Mary MacDonald
    Jane, Lydia, Kitty - Lily's roommates

Another idea is to have Charles Bingly as Frank Longbottom and Charlotte Lucas as Alice.

OR Mr. Darcy could be Sirius Black and Elizabeth Bennet could be an O/C, with James as Charles Bingly and Lily as Jane Bennet. Characters are, of course, up to you.

I wasn't willing to tackle it alone, but I would be willing to co-author, or you can just have it and run away with it. Let me know!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I don't know. I feel like the mods might see this as a cross-over, and you know how strict the site is in terms of keeping our stories canon-compliant.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I don't know. I feel like the mods might see this as a cross-over, and you know how strict the site is in terms of keeping our stories canon-compliant.
    I don't think it would be rejected as a crossover. A crossover would be having Mr Darcy go to Hogwarts or something stupid like that. However, just stealing the general plot of another story and substituting Harry Potter characters seems to be fine - I've seen one or two stories like that on the main site. For instance, Schmerg_The_Impaler has a Potter-fied Pride and Prejudice story up, so they're allowed. You just have to state what your story is based on.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Yes, but that was done with next generation characters who were all essentially OCs. With canon characters, I'm just not sure if the AU warning can stretch that far.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I've seen a fic based on The Great Gatsby - that wasn't classed as a crossover and featured a lot of canon characters. (Harry, Lucius, Hermione).

I think one of the problems is that you'd have to confine the Potter characters into the Austen ones and thus they'll be OOC. It might work for James or Sirius to be Darcy ... but Snape really isn't like Mr Collins. He's not at all obsequious and wouldn't switch to Lily's plain friend when Lily turns him down.

You could include elements from P&P (a lot of romances start with the couple hating each other) but I don't think you should base the whole story on it.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I also believe there was a class based on the book Pride and Prejudice where the students were require to write a story based on the book. That might be something to study.

Brand New Story!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

P&P HP style

I actually don't think it would be all that difficult to do this.

Obviously, to keep the characters in character, you would need to change a few small elements of the plot from that of P&P, (like Snape's not being so obsequious, and the fact he wouldn't switch to another girl after Lily shut him down) but I really think this would be a good fic. I don't think it would be considered a crossover if you did it well.

I recently saw a play that was "loosely based on Shakespeare's Twelfth Night" according to the program, but had a story that seemed entirely its own creation. And Twelfth Night happens to be my favorite of the Bard's work, so.... yeah, I don't know where I was going with that. But I highly enjoyed the play because, while it was reminisent of my favorite of Shakespeare's writings it was still able to surprise me and the characters were new and original.

I think this could be an entirely feasible piece of fanfic. I am not sure I want to adopt this plot bunny myself at this moment (although I would highly enjoy it) because I am having a hard enough time keeping my 'work in progress' in progress as it is, but if I find time later, when my WIP is coming along better I will be sure to revisit this thread.

-bookworm
    On Hiatus. Banner by the amazing Minnabird!

FwooperFeathers
    That sounds like a fantastic idea, and would like to advice you to take a look at "Pride and Pre-Juiced Plums" by Schmerg_the_Impaler for ideas.