Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge 7

Hybrid View

MithrilQuill

Weekly Drabble Challenge 7

We covered Exams last week, so now we'll stray beyond the world of Hogwarts and into Wizarding Careers!

Use the following form:

Name:
    House:
    Title:
    Warnings:
    Words:

Points will be awarded as usual. I promise I'll judge those old ones ... soon.

Sly Severus
    Name: Sly Severus
    House: Slytherin
    Title: A Simple Dream
    Warnings: None
    Words: 371

Bellatrix Black sat alone in the Slytherin common room, flipping through the various leaflets that had been left regarding future careers. It was late, but this was the only chance she would have to read without prying eyes. If her friends saw her reading these they wouldn’t understand. She was a Black. She was not meant to work. She was meant to do nothing more than take the Mark and shoot out pureblood babies. No one saw her as good enough to do anything better.

She wanted the Mark. She knew it was her destiny. But sometimes she couldn’t help but wonder if she could be more. She wanted to serve the Dark Lord, but did that mean she could have nothing else in her life, besides a snotty pureblood husband. Why couldn’t she have a career? She was smart enough. She had been at the top of her year for the last five years.

She was reading through a leaflet with a crossed bone-and-emblem symbol on it, the sign of St. Mungo’s. Healing had its appeal. It required intelligence, which she clearly demonstrated. It also required discipline, which she had in spades. And she knew it would increase her usefulness to the Dark Lord. Surely, he would appreciate having some around who could nurse his servants back to health after a battle.

She was still immersed in the leaflet when she heard footsteps on the dormitory stairs. She glanced up just in time to see Rodolphus Lestrange enter the room.

“What are you doing up?” he asked, plopping down beside her, as she hid the leaflets from view.

“I couldn’t sleep,” she told him.

He rested his hand on her leg. “Is something wrong?”

“No,” she told him. She could never confide her thoughts in Rodolphus Lestrange. He was polite enough, but she knew he thought women were good for nothing but keeping a clean house and raising children. He would never understand.

“It’s late,” he told her. “You should try to sleep.” He extended his hand. “Let me walk you back upstairs.”

She nodded and accepted his hand, but not before she slipped the leaflet into her robes. She was going to have future. She was sure of it.
    Title: Not Another Black Housewife
    Words: 327

Andromeda sat alone by the edge of the lake reading through the career leaflets that had been left in the Slytherin common room. With only the moonlight to aid her vision, he eyes felt strained. She would have preferred to lurk alone in the library but she had promised to meet Ted, away from prying eyes.

She always had to meet Ted away from prying eyes. No one would accept their relationship, least of all her elder sister, who happened to be graduating that year. Oh Bella, she should have been helping Andromeda ponder these leaflets; she should be the one Andromeda was confiding to about Ted. But her days of confiding in Bella came to a sharp end when she realized that she loved a Mudblood.

Engrossed in the leaflets, she didn’t even hear Ted when he arrived. He plopped down beside her and ran his fingers through her hair.

“You know, we are risking detention for being out here,” he reminded her. “You could at least pay attention to me. Why did you bring those leaflets out here anyway?”

“I’m meeting with Professor Slughorn tomorrow morning. I need to be able to tell him something. I don’t want to be another Black who ends up living off her husband. This is important, Ted.”

He wrapped his arms around her shoulders. “I don’t mind supporting you.”

“I don’t want you to,” she snapped. “I want to be someone on my own. It’s something that very few women in my family have ever done. I will not be another Black housewife.”

He smiled and pulled her close. “All right,” he told her. “You’ll be whatever you want to be, Andy. That’s what I’ve always admired about you. That’s what makes you stand out from your sisters. And no matter what you decide to be, I’ll be there cheering you on.”

She smiled at him and they spent the remainder to the evening flipping through the leaflets together.
    Title: The Thoughts of a Princess
    Words: 175

Sighing, Narcissa Black slid out of the Slytherin common room, unnoticed by her housemates. She was often unnoticed by her housemates. She really didn’t mind; in fact, she preferred it that way.

That night she had been driven from the common room because of the incipit whining about the fifth year’s upcoming career consultation with Professor Slughorn. She didn’t know what the big deal was. They would tell him what they wanted to do and he would tell if their marks were acceptable. The process hardly warranted hours and hours of conversation.

Of course, the process was less important to her than most. She would never work. It didn’t matter what she said to Professor Slughorn. She was a Black. She was well provided for on her own, but she was betrothed to a Malfoy. Money would never be a concern to her, and nor would the minuscule complaints of lesser people, like her classmates.

She was a Black, who would become a Malfoy. The last thing she needed to worry about was career consultations.

lily_16_evans
    I had too many ideas, and I've landed up not liking any of them in the end! Oh well, Here goes...

Name: lily_16_evans
    Title: Top Floor
    Words:226

“Professor McGonagall will see you now, dear.”

Lily exhaled quickly, and giving James’s hand a squeeze she rose from her chair. Slowly she crossed the hall into McGonagall’s office where she sat reordering some pamphlets.

“Lily dear, take a seat,” the professor motioned towards the chair in front of her. “I’m very interested to know what you have been thinking of doing with your life after Hogwarts. You have so many doors open to you.”

Lily’s cheeks turned slightly red, “I was thinking of doing something for the ministry,” Lily’s face turned even redder as a smile formed on Minerva’s face.

‘Well we’ve never had a female minister yet,” Professor McGonagall laughed at Lily’s astonishment. “I gather not what you had in mind?”

Lily shook her head, a meek and embarrassed smile on her face. She mentally smacked herself for ever telling her professor her secret wish.

“Actually Lily, I’ve mentioned your talents to someone on the top floor, and they’re quite interested.” Minerva McGonagall had a genuine smile on her face as lily’s face glowed with ambition.

‘The – the top floor wants – me?” Lily couldn’t conceal the smile erupting on her face.

Thirty minutes later Lily strode out of the small office, right past James who had to run to keep up with her.

“Lily what –“

“I’m going to be an unspeakable,” whispered Lily.

House:Slytherin
    Title: Tea with the Queen
    Words: 211

“Ooo, I feel like I’m having tea with the Queen,”

“Close enough Mr. Black,” Professor McGonagall couldn’t help but smile at the lax boy lounging in front of her. “What positions have you been looking at?”

“Minister sounds nice, he has quite a large office,” Sirius took a piece of Honeyduke’s chocolate off the Professor’s desk and stuck it into his mouth.

“Sirius, when you leave this building the world may not take to your antics as well as we have. You need to get down to business,” the professor waved her wand and vanished the glass bowl full of chocolates.

Sirius let out a huff watching the bowl disappear, “You don’t think I’d make a good minister? I thought you were supposed to have faith in all our decisions.”

“In fact Mr. Black, I think you could give our world the laughter it needs in this time, but you’re going to need to want for more than the desk.”

Sirius stood from his seat and made his way to the door, “other minister’s will be trying to stick me in Azkaban from fear of the competition,” and with a smile he left the room.

“I hope he’s right,” Professor McGongall whispered shaking her head in her hands.

Title: First Time
    Words: 146

“I’m going to be late!” he leapt out of his bed, staring at the clock that was flashing the time. Throwing off of his pyjama’s, he grabbed the faded green robes lying across an armchair, and stuffed his arms into the sleeves.

Running into the second room of his apartment, he poured some Magic-O’s into a bowl and started to stuff them into his mouth. His mind was running through the lines he was supposed to have memorized for the day, but couldn’t.

After trying to clean up he scribbled his practiced lines onto a small piece of paper and shoved them into his pocket at the sound of a horn coming from the street below.

“Goodbye Mum!” He ran down the stairs and looked at the large vehicle in front of him.

And Stan Shunpike got onto the Knight Bus for the very first time.

Unicorngirl22

My drabble!

Author: unicorngirl22
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: A Warm Welcome
    Words: 222

Tonks stepped into her fireplace, closed her eyes and said, "Ministry of Magic." She went spinning very fast. When she stopped spinning, Tonks opened her eyes. She looked around to make sure she was in the right place and then stepped out of the fireplace. As she walked to the lifts, several people waved. She waved back and kept on her way.

When Tonks finally got to the lifts she got on one and waited. She saw many people on the lifts on her way up. Arthur Weasley, who had gotten the same time as her and worked on the same floor, smiled at her and asked how she was doing.

When the lift finally came to Level Two, Tonks and Arthur got off. Tonks walked into the Auror Headquarters. She found her cubicle and walked in for the first time.

It was a nice little cubicle. There was a desk for her to one side and it had a couple of papers and a quill on it. There was a knock on her door. Tonks opened it and there was a black guy standing next to her door.

"Hi, I'm Kingsley Shacklebolt. I just wanted to welcome you to the Auror Headquarters." he held out his hand for her to shake..

I think I'm going to like it here, she thought.
    Here's another one I just finished.

Author: unicorngirl22
    House:Hufflepuff
    Title: Following in her Footsteps
    Words: 134

Ginny walked into St. Mungo’s. She caught up to Hermione who was on her way up to the Potion and Plant Poisoning ward.

“Hi, Hermione, how are you?” Ginny asked.

“I’m fine, just on my way to work. What about yourself?” Hermione said, smiling.

“I’m fine, just on my way to work, too.” Ginny answered.

They chatted for a until they got to the floor that Hermione needed to go to.

Ginny walked up one more floor. She was at the Spell Damage ward. Before she walked in she took at a look at the writing on the door before she walked in. She read:

Sandra Weasley ward: Hexes
    Healer-In-Charge: Ginny Potter. Trainee Healer: David Malfoy.

Ginny smiled at the words. She was following in the footsteps of her Great, Great Grandmother, Sandra Weasley.

Harry_Ginny4ever
    Author: Harry_Ginny4ever
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Hot Off the Press
    Words: 384

Luna gazed at the stack articles awaiting her most coveted stamp of approval. The prospect of another long night of work loomed dangerously in her subconscious. She didn't feel like reading more rubbish unworthy of her father's journalistic legacy. She had taken on the position at his request, as he was unable to run his tabloid due to old age. Luna's heart and soul went into every issue, hoping she could live up to her father's high expectations. She sighed as she began reading the first neatly printed paper. Her previously hopelessly bored eyes lit up as they slid across the page. "

"This is....good!" she whispered to the walls and windows. She turned it over and read the name and address stamped on the back. "Professor Neville Longbottom." She should have known only the Hogwarts herbology professor could write so keenly about the newest discoveries in the world of magical plants. She stamped it and set it aside.

"Surely this next article won't be as good as the previous," Luna said pessimistically, but she was proven wrong. The Dark Magic Chronicles could use this piece easily!" She cried, and eagerly read "Harry Potter, Head Auror" at the top of the stamp. After the ministry was completely revamped, Harry had given into his childhood desire and worked his way to the top of the field.

Any harbored pessimistic feelings dispersed, and Luna stamped Harry's article and tore into the next. It was entitled "Granger's Newest Best Seller Hits Shelves." Indeed, Hermione had written several volumes, the newest chronicaling her and her friend's adventurous life battling Voldemort. Luna did her part in alerting the world of the story, and stamped the article.

Luna decided to check the author on her next submittion first. "Ronald Weasley," she read. She quickly delved into the text, eager to find out what he'd done with his life. "The Ethics of Chess," Luna read the bold-faced title. "Interesting," Luna pondered as she scanned the rest of the page. "Boring content, brilliantly written," she muttered, "maybe all those assignments Hermione edited did him some good!" Luna dialed the Weasley's number to request an interview with a Mr. Weasley for "The Quibbler."

After hiring her newest employee, Luna sat back in her swivel chair. This edition would certainly do her dad proud.

Third Year Gryffindor
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Name:wendelin the wierd
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Shadow within the flames
    Warnings: none
    Words: 137

Tom Riddle threw the papers in the fire. They meant nothing to him, not any more. He was a Riddle, no matter how much that name shamed him, he would continue carrying it with pride. Who were they to think that Tom Riddle could be broken and chained? Who were they to think that he could be enslaved under the name of employment? What did he care for the pittance they offered him? It certainly didn’t make a difference. Not to me, Not to anyone else. The flames in the fire couldn’t compare with the flames within him. He would have a future, and it would rise far above those faceless people with their so called ‘careers’. There is no good and evil, there is only power and those who are too weak to seek it…….

Name: wendelin the wierd
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: The world goes grey
    Warnings- AU
    Word Count: 261

Tears began to fall freely. Silently at first, but then she stopped restraining herself and broke down into sobs which wracked her body and sent her into agony.

And she was washed down with memories, of another time, of another place.

Harry brushed away a strand of hair from her face. She was intensely concentrating on all the pamphlets around her. She knew that her destiny lay in one of them. She just needed to find the right one.

‘ Why don’t you become an Unspeakable? You are intelligent enough.’ He questioned gently.

‘It’s such a boring job. I would rather become a Healer, or an Auror like you. Who would be crazy enough to become an Unspeakable?’ she retorted without even looking at him.

He leant against the cool tree trunk. It was a perfect spot. The sun was just setting and they had found a place beside the lake. The rays of light shimmered across the water, passing into it’s transluscent depths.

And then she remembered the fateful night which had changed everything. She was running, running for her life and Harry had sacrificed himself to save her. She could still remember the jets of green light shooting past her and how he had shielded her from them, instead of shielding himself.

She was snapped out of her reverie by a soft hand on her shoulder. She wheeled around to look at the kind face of Professor McGonogall.

‘ Have you chosen your career yet, miss Weasley?’ McGonogall questioned softly.

‘Yes,’ she replied, smiling through her tears. ‘I want to be an Unspeakable.’
    Banner by the wonderful Minnabird
    Author Page ~ Banner thread ~
    PI Accredition