Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Marks

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    I don't think you'd be able to tell all the deatheaters by the Dark mark, surely it is something only the very inner cirlce of Voldy's deatheaters have. When he summons them, he doesnt summon everybvody who ever helped him does he? Just his inner circle.

I am sure somewhere (I am too lazy to find a quote) it says that greyback was allowed to wear Deatheater robes, but wasnt given a dark mark? or did I imagine that?

I am undecided whether it would be visible all the time or not. When the Dark lord was powerful mayvbe it showed and when he was out of power it didnt? I dont know, but yeah, it seems pretty stupid to tatoo all your followers when they're trying to hide that they are your followers...

Russia xxxxx
    I'm dreaming the hardest.

Thank you Nadia/majestic_ginny! <3
    Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    How? Are they going to make everyone in the wizarding world file past and roll up their sleeves?
    Well, yes actually. The Wizarding world managed to throw Sirius into Azkaban without a trial so I hardly think a little thing like forcing someone to show their arms would faze them.

And no, not get them all to file past. But if they had Avery in a holding cell they could quite easily rip his sleeve and look at his arm. Wizarding justice, at this time, is very much 'act first and ask questions later'.

That's why I think it's unlikely the mark was continually visible. It would be very easy to prove who was a DE - Imperiused or not.

It could have been argued that Sirius had just turned traitor, and his betrayal was supposed to earn him full DE status.
    Yes, that could be argued, except that the 'traitor' had been passing secrets for a full year before the Potters' deaths.

Pettigrew had the Dark Mark. I think his friends would have noticed if it had been visible all the time. Suggestion - perhaps they could hide it.

And Snape would have had to be awfully vigilant to ensure no one at Hogwarts ever saw his forearm, for all the years he taught there.
    Exactly - he's Potions Master. I can't see him brewing potions with long robe sleeves flapping around the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Russia Snow
    I am sure somewhere (I am too lazy to find a quote) it says that greyback was allowed to wear Deatheater robes, but wasnt given a dark mark? or did I imagine that?
    No you didn't imagine it. He didn't have a DE mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot
    One reason why I think the Dark Mark is always visible is that perhaps, Voldemort wants to impress upon his followers the finality of becoming a Death Eater-- once you're one, there's no turning back. The Dark Mark is with you for all your life, your reminder that you are his servant.
    It would still hurt them though. When Snape clutches at his arm it could well be in pain. I don't think they'd forget.

By the way, in the scene with Madam Malkin, Draco jerks his hand away when she tries to roll up his sleeve ... so it could be argued that he didn't want his arm to be visible ... but, a bit later on, he pulls the robes over his head and storms out of the shop. Now, obviously he's not naked, but he was probably pulling away because of the pain and not because the tattoo could be seen.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Halgy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    Judging by Molly's reaction to the Dark Mark at the Quidditch World Cup it was known to be a symbol of the Death Eaters, but maybe the general public didn' t know about the tatoos.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by the opaleye
    Since few people knew about the marks outside of the DE's then I don't think it would have been a largely incriminating factor for people like Lucius.
    Even if few people knew about the tattoos, almost everyone knew about the actual Dark Mark (sign in the sky), which is closely connected to Voldemort. As such, having the sign of the Dark Lord branded into their flesh would be pretty damning.

How? Are they going to make everyone in the wizarding world file past and roll up their sleeves?
    If someone is in for questioning (like Lucius and many Death Eaters were), then it would be pretty simple to check their arms.

Assuming that every single follower of Voldemort has a Dark Mark, which was probably not true even when his following was still small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russia Snow
    Yes, we know that some people like Greyback didn't get the tattoo (I'm too lazy for a page number, too, but I know it's true).

It could have been argued that Sirius had just turned traitor, and his betrayal was supposed to earn him full DE status.
    True enough; the lack of a tattoos doesn't exonerate someone, but having one can only help to convict them.

I maintain that the mark faded completely during Voldemort's exile; it is the simplest explanation of why the Ministry did not use the tattoos to prosecute Death Eaters and why Sirius did not know of them.

And it makes sense; since Voldemort was very weak at the time immediately after his downfall (the time when most of the Death Eaters would have been prosecuted), the Protean charm that he used to create the marks would also be weak. When he regained his rudimentary body in beginning of GoF, he and his magics regained some strength, so the mark began to reappear. As Snape said:
    This Mark has been growing darker all year.
    GoF p.710, American hardcover
    The idea that it faded during Voldemort's downfall is supported by Karkaroff:
    [The mark has] never been this clear, never since--
    GoF p.519, American hardcover
    Unless, of course, he was referring to something else. I don't think he was, though.

I think that after Voldemort returned, the mark was persistent. However, it would seem to fade from jet black with time:
    The Dark Mark. it is not as clear as it was an hour ago, when it burned black, but you can still see it...
    GoF pp. 710-11, American hardcover
    But I doubt that it would disappear completely, since it was visible during GoF.

In the end, I would say that the Mark dissapeared (or at least faded significantly) during Voldemort's exile, returned with his re-rise, and permanently remains to some extent thereafter. If anyone see's any holes in my logic, let me know.