Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best songfic for Quicksilver Quill Awards

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Best songfic for Quicksilver Quill Awards

You could choose the best songfic that someone made and they would win the award.
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    I second this There are awards for all the other recognised categories, why not songfics?

Russia xxxxx
    I'm dreaming the hardest.

Thank you Nadia/majestic_ginny! <3
    Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    But songfic isn't exactly a recognised category at MNFF, is it? I mean half the one-shots are in a way inspired by songs and contain lyrics. Only a few dozen are ones that explicitly state in the summary that it is a songfic. I like it better that they are put into Angst or Romance rather than in a songfic section, I remember of them that way too - as a dark or otherwise fic. This is a personal opinion though.

But if the mods think it's all right to give an award for it, it's not a bad idea.

-Akay-

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

iamlordvoldemort
    Well then we would have to make a more clear definition of what a songfic is. Some stories have nothing to do with any song, but the title is a lyric only because it happened to fit the story line. Do you think those would count?

~Anna~

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    I think a songfic is defined if it has the lyrics *somehwere* in the story. Lyrics as titles would not count, the song must refklect the feeling and mood of the fic as well as have the lyrics incorporated.

Hmmm Akay I see what you mean...I know songfic isn't a category, but songs are insriration behind alot of fics, and if one-shots and chaptered are considered for dfferent awards, I think songifcs should have their own QSQ category. I agree totally with keeping them in Romance or Angst or whatever on the main site.

Russia xxxxx

Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    I know songfic isn't a category, but songs are insriration behind alot of fics, and if one-shots and chaptered are considered for dfferent awards, I think songifcs should have their own QSQ category. I agree totally with keeping them in Romance or Angst or whatever on the main site.
    But stories are nominated in QSQ categories pertaining to the category they are listed under in the archives, right? I think this suggestion could be successfully implemented perhaps next year or so if the mods were to create a separate category as such. At the moment, there might be a slight conflict of interest, I think. In a way, one story would as such be appropriate to two categories, and if I wanted to nominate it for angst and you for the songfic, then that would be sort of one reason (besides the obvious) we could say why stories are discouraged to be put under more than one category.

-Akay-

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    Yeah I suppose so... But in the question thread Hannah did say that you could nominate a fic that wasnt in the category. So if it was a romance in the romance category and it was funny you could nominate it for the humour award. I agree however that you wouldnt be able to nominate one fic for more than one award, you would have to look through the other threads to see if it had been nominated already... But then again one author can't accept two awards, so it wouldn't matter if it was nominated twice, they could still only get one award... I just think that songfics should get some recognition

Russia xxxxx

TheCursedQuill
    I agree that songfics should be recognised. As Russia has stated, they could be kept in certain categories as Romance or Dark, but still have a Songfic category for QSQ. Not all of the awards have a category on the site. For example there is a Best Canon Romance and a Best Non-Canon Romance and a Best Same-Sex. All of these are just under Romance on the site. There is also a Best Male/Female Other Character.

They have a pretty wide range of awards to look at the highest possible achievements an author could have (as well as a beta, reviwerer, bannermaker and artist). I think having a Songfic category would be an excellent idea becuase it gives recognision to those who have perfected a different type of literature. Relating one's story to a song isn't always a hard thing, but doing it in a way that has the song flow smoothly inbetween the story and adds another level of emotion and meaning to the story, should be awarded.

Just my two cents.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Quote Originally Posted by Russia
    I just think that songfics should get some recognition
    But surely if the song fic is that great, it would be recognised and nominated in the category it is posted in? I mean, angsty song = angsty songfic. The lyrics just add to the story a little more, especially if they flow with the story well. I think it should be the story iteself that gets the nomination; while it would still be the story that's nominated in a songfic category, a lot more focus would be on the lyrics, too, and how they've been used. I think this is a nice idea, but I just don't think it's how well a song is used that should win the nomination. It's the story itself. Am I making sense?

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Personally ... I can see both sides. There are a lot of fictions that are inspired by songs, but I don't know if you could really call them 'songfics'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spire
    But surely if the song fic is that great, it would be recognised and nominated in the category it is posted in? I mean, angsty song = angsty songfic. The lyrics just add to the story a little more, especially if they flow with the story well. I think it should be the story iteself that gets the nomination; while it would still be the story that's nominated in a songfic category, a lot more focus would be on the lyrics, too, and how they've been used. I think this is a nice idea, but I just don't think it's how well a song is used that should win the nomination. It's the story itself. Am I making sense?
    Completely, because I was just going to say this. Most 'songfics' could and would still be nominated under other categories, just as there are a lot of stories that would fit into many of the different categories. Also, as Spire said, those might have a stronger focus on the lyrics of the song rather than the story and the writing itself, which isn't what QSQ are about. They're about highlighting an author's writing ability [obviously, I'm not counting the non-fic categories]. Not only that, but a lot of fictions that, as I think its been said here in the thread, are inspired by a songs and encompass the mood of the song but that may not have the lyrics expressly written in the fic or just have a lyric at the title. I can give you a perfect example of this. I just wrote a fic for NEWT character class called Echoes of a Distant Time - a lyric from the song Echoes by Pink Floyd, by the way - doesn't have the lyrics written in the story. Yet the song heavily influenced the writing of the fic and, I persoally think, reflect the same tone as the song - but there are no lyrics to be seen in the actual text of the fic. I do say in my author's note that the song heavily influenced it and that readers would do well to listen to it, but not every author does that.

My point is that, even if you described what a 'songfic' is, it could still leave out a lot of fics that, on the surface, might not appear a 'songfic' but could be just like my fic. Granted, I state in my author's note about the song, but not a lot of fics do, and it might be hard to differentiate to the readers and the people nominating just what a 'songfic' is. I think it would be hard for the mods and the people judging that category because there would be a lot of confusion as to what sort of fics they could really nominate.

While I think its a nice idea for a possibly category in the future, right now its not really necessary, as the QSQ nominations for this year have already begun.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye