Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Hogwarts would Change

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    She contradicted herself in Tales of Beedle the Bard, which states that McGonagall did indeed become Headmistress.
    Not exactly. She said McGonagall wasn't headmistress in 2017, but Beedle the Bard is earlier - 2008 - so McGonagall can be Headmistress without it being classed as a contradiction. She could have retired in 2015 when she was 90.

Molly- Mmm, I dislike the same teachers being there all the time as well as all the Trio's friends having children at the same time. How likely is it that Rose and Albus would go to school with a Thomas child, a Finnegan child and a Longbottom.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    How likely is it that Rose and Albus would go to school with a Thomas child, a Finnegan child and a Longbottom.
    I know! One certainly seems like it could be a possibility, but more than that is just too much of a stretch.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

gene24
    Even though the Sorting Hat was created from the minds of the Founders, I always imagined it to still be able to adapt and to think for itself. It did, after all, change the Sorting Hat Song every year according to what was happening currently, so it would have to be able to absorb the current news somehow. Even if the teachers didn't do something directly to the hat, it would recognize the change in mood (and would surely know that Voldemort was defeated).

But on the other hand, even though Gryffindor and Slytherin are equally prejudiced, I think that would change among all the houses after the Second War. I think they would both (but gradually) start to trust each other more and more, and even though they may not be the best of friends, I think they would have a cordial relationship at the very least.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, there would be a change in the hat and a change in the people, so between the two, the relationship between the houses would change and become friendlier. I don't think it would be one or the other.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Okay, let's talk about other possible changes in some of the aspects of Hogwarts. Something that I did see in another fic was that by the time Albus and Rose began attending was that they had begun doing a baggage check on all the students' trunks. I feel like this is a very believable change in Hogwarts, and very in parallell with the rest of the world.

What are some other possible changes you think could have occured at Hogwarts, whether they be things yu read in another story or just things in your own imagination.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Okay, let's talk about other possible changes in some of the aspects of Hogwarts. Something that I did see in another fic was that by the time Albus and Rose began attending was that they had begun doing a baggage check on all the students' trunks. I feel like this is a very believable change in Hogwarts, and very in parallell with the rest of the world.

What are some other possible changes you think could have occured at Hogwarts, whether they be things yu read in another story or just things in your own imagination.
    A baggage check, more diligent bed checks, more safeguards to prevent students from wandering around where they shouldn't, those would all be reasonable and sane things to do. Of course, they'd also severely limit the adventures that children could have at Hogwarts, which is why Rowling had the staff being so negligent in the books.

(Seriously, you're going to leave some gigantic three-headed dog chained up in a corridor, and the only precautions you take against it eating someone is to tell the students, "Don't go down there"?)

I think it's likely that they'd have to bow to the increasing influence of Muggle culture. In the books, it seems Muggle-borns just dive into the wizarding world and leave their Muggle lives behind. Kids today are thoroughly attached to their cell phones, their iPods, their Wiis, their favorite entertainers, etc., by age eleven. Even learning they are wizards and coming to a magical school isn't going to make them forget all that. They're going to want to stay connected to the Muggle world. Even if magic prevents electronics from working (I don't see Hogwarts ever getting Internet access), the kids are still going to bring things from home and talk about the Muggle world. Without purebloods suppressing that, it's inevitable, and it's also inevitable that some of these things will interest wizarding children, and not just in the Arthur Weasley "Oh, isn't that cute? Muggles play with rubber ducks" sort of way.

Others have mentioned the possibility of Muggle Studies becoming mandatory. I think that's likely; someone is going to figure out that the wizarding world can't stay secret forever. And Muggle Studies should involve more than just learning how Muggles dress and what they eat; wizards really should know a little more about Muggle arts and sciences. I think a lot of the Muggle-borns' parents, at least, will be unhappy if their kids finish seven years of schooling at Hogwarts and still have no more than a fifth grade education in math, science, history, and language.

I also think there would be (or should be) a concerted effort to reduce house rivalries and encourage interhouse cooperation. More double classes, more events mixing members of different houses together rather than making everything a competition, etc. They'd need to change the culture of the school, which includes encouraging teachers to stop encouraging the houses to be at each other's throats.

Also, Hogwarts teachers are almost uniformly terrible at pedagogy. They really should learn more effective teaching methods, and institute some safety rules, as well as guidelines on appropriate behavior. In a Muggle school, Hagrid would be a lawsuit waiting to happen, and Snape would wind up in jail.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Ah, good old poor parential supervision! How would we have ever had any of our great childhood adventures without it?

Also, I think wizarding children, at least, might have taken more of an interest in Muggle toys, at least. I mean, I could understand the wizarding culture being without any sort up Muggle influence in the past, but when the kids started showing up to school with Game Boys, I-pods, I-phones, cellphone and the like, I feel like 'bless them' might turn into 'I want one'!

Brand New Story!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    As for potential heamasters, Flitwick and Sprout would certainly be possible candidates.
    if Pomona Sprout gets the job, then that creates two vacancies.

The School will need a new Herbology Professor

and a new Head of Hufflepuff.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Kids today are thoroughly attached to their cell phones, their iPods, their Wiis, their favorite entertainers, etc., by age eleven. Even learning they are wizards and coming to a magical school isn't going to make them forget all that.
    Hmm, being attached to electronic devices isn't confined to modern day though. Marauder era kids listened to crackly transistor radios - probably more obsessively than modern day because they didn't have computer games - As a child of the eighties I watched copious amounts of TV and plugged myself into my Walkman all day and every day. If Lily can get through her days without listening to Glam Rock all day, then the Next Gen kids will just have to put up with it.

I think an author would still have to take into account the effect magic has on electronic devices, otherwise your Next Gen Hogwarts will turn into Wild Child or St Trinians (the new version)

I think a lot of the Muggle-borns' parents, at least, will be unhappy if their kids finish seven years of schooling at Hogwarts and still have no more than a fifth grade education in math, science, history, and language.
    Mmm, I like this idea, perhaps they could teach them more Muggle type subjects - languages would be helpful ... but they wouldn't really need science (chemistry particularly) if they had Potions.

Also Muggle-born's parents might not approve of the syllabus, but what in reality could they actually do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil Med
    Something that I did see in another fic was that by the time Albus and Rose began attending was that they had begun doing a baggage check on all the students' trunks.
    Why though? I'm not disagreeing, but I'm wondering what reason you gave for searching their trunks. Was it a drugs check? Bomb check? I think Flich had already established some sort of filter system at Hogwarts (doesn't he check all the students when they go to Hogwarts?) and the Weasleys manage to get their products sent through the mail by disguising Love Potions as innocuous products.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothumbrian
    if Pomona Sprout gets the job, then that creates two vacancies.

The School will need a new Herbology Professor

and a new Head of Hufflepuff.
    Well, Herbology Prof is Neville ... but he wouldn't be the head of Hufflepuff. Actually, I presume the Head of House has to live in, and as Neville lives above the Leaky Cauldron with Hannah, I can't see him being Head of Gryffindor either. Basically you could have any of the teachers as HoH as long as you make out that they were Hufflepuffs. Perhaps Justin Ffitch-Fletchly becomes the new Muggle Studies teacher and HoH? But then that could be almost as bad as having all the Trio's generation of friends having children in the same year as Albus and Rose. - *sigh*.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    This is such a fascinating question!

I think that by the time the Next Gen got to school, a teacher who was new shortly after Harry's era might have been enough a part of the school community to ascend to the headmaster's office after a former headmaster/mistress retired (say, McGonagall). I think, more than anything, Hogwarts needs a catalyst for change. Dumbledore was an amazing headmaster, but did he ever really change anything in the way the school runs? While many might be dismayed to see changes to the formerly unchanging Hogwarts, they would also need to realize that as many good wizards as it turned out it also fostered an entire evil movement. I agree with the idea about required Muggle Studies, and I love the idea of a new History of Magic teacher. Binns strikes me as the absolute worst kind of history teacher - he's just repeating dry facts he's learned by rote, and which are no use to his bored students. The best history classes I've had are ones where we learned how things worked, cause and effect, that kind of thing. That plus learning some modern history could be very helpful. Stressing the evils of prejudice could no doubt do them all good. And having more of an emphasis on morals in general in their school life could also be good for the kids.

I also like the idea of fostering house unity by urging less competition, but then how else are they to have Quidditch? There aren't really any other schools close enough to play. Maybe have several teams with a mix of players from all different houses? Bit of a conundrum there.

As for the electronic devices, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some enterprising Muggleborn found ways to make wizarding versions of popular Muggle items (get more variety than your standard wizard!radio). The wizarding world may be leery of the Muggle world, but it could learn a lot from its technological advances.