Thread: Argus Filch

Amortentia x

Argus Filch

Besides Mrs Norris and Professor Umbridge, Argus Filch gives off the appearance of hating everyone else in Hogwarts. However, do you think there are any other teachers he gets on with? Who he might speak to with more than civility? Dumbledore, perhaps? Or do you think it's just Mrs Norris?

~Emma~

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hmmm, does he like Madam Pince? Or is that just Harry's imagination ... can't remember.

He does seem to get on okay with Snape as well. He certainly assists Snape when he's bitten by Fluffy (PS). I can't see Snape entrusting his injury to anyone he didn't have a civil ... almost friendly relationship with. He could have gone to Pomfrey if he needed help ... but instead he got Filch to help out.

I also think Filch probably respected all the teachers (except Hagrid), but he just didn't like them much.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    The teachers probably act civilly towards Flitch to an extent, but I wouldn't say they would quite respect him as a collegue. Think of it as how an office of professionals would regard the janitor. Not just because of the fact that he is a Squib, but also just as possibly a social class thing.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Amortentia x
    Hmmm, does he like Madam Pince? Or is that just Harry's imagination ... can't remember.
    Ah, I forgot about her. They would be a nice pair, wouldn't they? Slightly bitter, grumpy people... *stops herself from thinking about a weird romance bunny*

The teachers probably act civilly towards Flitch to an extent, but I wouldn't say they would quite respect him as a collegue. Think of it as how an office of professionals would regard the janitor. Not just because of the fact that he is a Squib, but also just as possibly a social class thing.
    Yes, I agree with you totally. However, I was wondering more about who Argus would like, as opposed to who would like Argus.

Also, in Chamber of Secrets, Argus has the flu and is even more miserable because of it. Do you think because he's a Squib and therefore cannot brew himself some sort of a Healing potion, he is too proud to ask Madam Pomfrey for help? Or do you think he's one of those people who never admit they are ill, and he'd insist he was perfectly fine?

~Emma~

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Or do you think he's one of those people who never admit they are ill, and he'd insist he was perfectly fine?
    No, I think he's one of those people who's always grumbling about his aches and pains and exaggerating every minor ailment. So probably he hasn't asked Madam Pomfrey, or maybe she dislikes him and has refused to make him anything (she must be busy after all if there's an outbreak of flu at Hogwarts) .

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I can't see Filch liking many of the teachers. He would be jealous of them because they can do magic. He would respect them, but not like them.

Azhure
    Personally, I don't think Filch hates the teachers, just holds a bitterness that he's no doubt had ever since he realised that he was a Squib. He'd be jealous, but still have respect for witches and wizards, as Elf said.

After all, if he hated the people he worked with so much, why would he stay at Hogwarts, of all places? It's basically made of magic.

Also, I'm sure some of the teachers would pity Filch because he is a Squib, and I doubt he would like that, so that's why he keeps mostly to himself (and his cat). That is, if the other teachers know he's a Squib. It might just be Dumbledore... I'm not sure.

Finest Firewhisky
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhure
    Personally, I don't think Filch hates the teachers, just holds a bitterness that he's no doubt had ever since he realised that he was a Squib. He'd be jealous, but still have respect for witches and wizards, as Elf said.

After all, if he hated the people he worked with so much, why would he stay at Hogwarts, of all places? It's basically made of magic.

Also, I'm sure some of the teachers would pity Filch because he is a Squib, and I doubt he would like that, so that's why he keeps mostly to himself (and his cat). That is, if the other teachers know he's a Squib. It might just be Dumbledore... I'm not sure.
    It's implied that Umbridge doesn't know he's a Squib in OOtP ("Don't stun them, Filch!"), but I think most of the long-serving teachers like McGonagall have figured out that he's a squib, or think he's not a very good wizard, why else wouldn't he ever cast a spell? Umbridge hasn't been at the school for long, and Filch tried to hide the fact that he was a Squib.

I agree that he probably felt bitter towards anyone that could do magic, but respected the teachers and especially Dumbledore. It appears that Filch only likes people who give him what he wants, like Umbridge. He probably begrudges Dumbledore for not getting rid of Peeves (Whether or not he can is besides the point).

ahattab33
    Originally posted by Azhure:
    I've always wondered why Filch would want to work at Hogwarts for this exact reason; he definitely seems to be quite bitter. My impression was that he also respected Dumbledore, who in turn respects Squibs, and finds places for them in Wizarding society where they might otherwise be scorned or pushed to the edges. He gave Mrs. Figg a place in the Order, and it seems like he would have offered and maybe even persuaded Filch a place inside Hogwarts, where he would have a more secure lifestyle.

I do agree that Filch's status as a Squib was probably kept discreet, considering how Ron reacted to it when they found out - slightly scornful and mocking, and they all found it a source of amusement.

On a side note, I find it interesting that their reaction to Filch was different from their reaction of finding out Mrs. Figgs was a Squib - Harry almost seemed to pity Filch, where he seemed almost impressed with Mrs. Figgs living side by side the Dursleys. I take this to be a difference in their personalities (Filch vs. Figg), and a testament to Harry's character.

~Amanda