Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah — Available

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!

Sarah — Available

Available

Looking for a beta? Well you've stumbled upon the right person! My name is Sarah, and I'm a twenty-two years old and from England. I've been beta reading on this site for a while now, and have been beta-ing on and off on other sites for a few years. Make sure to read the info below before asking me to beta your story; afterall, you want the best beta for your needs.

Genres: I'll quite happily do any, except poetry. My favourite genre is Marauder Era, but I will do anything, really.

Ships: My OTP is Lily/James, so I could never reject a fic with them in. I also like any canon pairing, but will do non canon as well, depending who it is. I will not accept any Draco/Hermione or Ginny, and am iffy about taking on student/teacher relationships and Lily/Severus. I am, however, a fan of things that could be canon, so if you've got a Parvati/Michael Corner, Fabian/Marlene or even Gilderoy/Professor Sinistra, then I will definitely consider.

Ratings: I'll do anything.

Warnings: Any

Abuse: I'd rather not, but I will look over it and get back to you if you would like.

Alternate Universe: For this one, it entirely depends on what I think of the story. Some I'll do, but others, I'm afraid not.

Book seven disregarded: Same as AU for this one, it depends on what the story is about.

Character Death: I'll do this one, no problems.

DH Spoilers: Since most of us have read DH by now, I have no problems doing this

Dubious Consent: I'd prefer not to if it's the main focus of your story.

Epilogue, What Epilogue?: As with AU and DH disregarded, it depends entirely on the story.

Mental Disorders: I can do these as I live with a Learning Disabilities Nursing student, and have friends on the Mental Health courses, but without asking them, I'm not too brilliant.

Self Injury: See answers for AU and Book Seven Disregarded.

Sexual Situations: As long as it's not the main focus of your story or too graphic, I'll do this.

Slash: I'll do this on a case by case basis.

Strong Profanity: I do not have a problem with this!

Suicide: See AU

Violence: I have no problem with this.

One Shot/Chaptered: I can do both, I'm not fussed. A note on contest submissions: please tell me when the deadline is and I'll try to get it back to you before then. These submissions take priority.

Turn-around time: Under a week, but longer if your chapters are long. If I'm going to be longer than a week, I'll let you know.

Permanent: I have no problem with this, it's up to you.

Strengths I know my canon fairly well, so I can pick up on things that are not quite right in that department. I am also good with characterisation and catching OOc moments, especially for the Marauder Era (I took the MWPP class in the Autumn Term). I am good with plot and can point out weak points and possible plot holes, and also identify things that don't fit well within the story. As a Brit, I can help with language and cultural issues as well, and weedle out Americanisms in your stories that other beta's might miss.

Weaknesses: Comma placement is a big weakness of mine, though I am trying to better myself over it. If you want someone to focus solely on grammar then I'm probably not your person. As I am British, I can't really help with other cultures, but I am willing to put in a small bit of research if there is need of it.

Editing Style: I work with track changes via email as I find that it's a lot easier than working through PM. However, if you feel that colour changes are easier for you, then I can do this. I tend to leave a lot of comments throughout the piece, so don't be disheartened if you see your document coming back with lots and lots of red comment boxes at the side. More often than not it's a suggestion rather than a correction. I'm also fairly honest in my comments, though I try not to be harsh. Please tell me if you want me to be brutally honest or more gentle.

When replying to this, please use this form so it's a bit easier for me to see what's what.

Username: Your name on MNFF (and on the Beta Forums if they're different)
    Story: Story title, linked if you already have one published
    Genre: Is it a romance? A mystery? Dark/angst? (Etc.)
    Ships: This is short for "relationships." If there is a romantic pairing in the story, tell us who you've linked up.
    Rating and Warnings:
    Word Count: Remember that the minimum word count for chapters on MNFF is 800-1000 words!
    One Shot or Chaptered:
    Expected Beta Time: How soon you wish to have a reply (1 day, 2 or 3 days, a week, etc)
    Permanent Y/N: If you're looking for a permanent beta (Yes or No)
    Summary: Short summary of the story.
    Has this story/chapter been submitted and rejected before?:

Sarah x
    Last edited by Sapphire at Dawn; 11-06-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

twilightHPgirl18
    Hi, Sarah! Grr I don't like forms...

UserName ringobeatlesfan4 on the archives and here it's...well, look up! But to simplify...I'm Becca
    Story Silver and Gold
    Genre General
    Ships none
    Rating and Warnings um, 1st-2nd years...and no warnings
    Word Count not sure yet
    One Shot or Chaptered one-shot
    Expected Beta Time whenever's fine
    Permanent Y/N for this story? yes
    Summary I dunno what it is off the top of my head...But Sev & Lily are 10 years old, Sev goes to spend Christmas with Lily. Lily's friend Jade comes too, and the three celebrate a good old-fashioned Christmas with Petunia, Mr & Mrs Evans.
    Has this story/chapter been submitted and rejected before? Nope, I haven't submitted it yet.

Thanks, Sarah!

Becca

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Woohoo! First post in my thread *dances*

Sure, I can do this. I'll PM you with my email

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I'm just looking over your first chapter now. Could you PM me with your email so I can send a word doc back to you?

Sarah x

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Ooh, another request!

Nymphie, simply fill out this form and I'll get back to you.

Username: Your name on MNFF (and on the Beta Forums if they're different)
    Story: Story title, linked if you already have one published
    Genre: Is it a romance? A mystery? Dark/angst? (Etc.)
    Ships: This is short for "relationships." If there is a romantic pairing in the story, tell us who you've linked up.
    Rating and Warnings:
    Word Count: Remember that the minimum word count for chapters on MNFF is 800-1000 words!
    One Shot or Chaptered:
    Expected Beta Time: How soon you wish to have a reply (1 day, 2 or 3 days, a week, etc)
    Permanent Y/N: If you're looking for a permanent beta (Yes or No)
    Summary: Short summary of the story.
    Has this story/chapter been submitted and rejected before?:

If you're still unclear, just PM me.

Sarah x

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

beta please

Username: Okiblossom/ Kuri
    Story: Shattered Moonlight (this might change)
    Genre: IDK - Exactly (I need help on pinpointing that)
    Ships: OC/OC Flashback
    Rating and Warnings: Language, Mild Abuse, Psychological Abuse, Non - Consensual Consent (last 3 are mainly implied*)
    Word Count: 1200 - 2000 per Chapter
    One Shot or Chaptered: Chaptered
    Expected Beta Time: ASAP
    Permanent Y/N: Yes Permanent
    Summary: Professor McGonagall starts up an advanced psychology seminar for challenged students. She thinks it wil help those who go into fields fighting againist the Dark Arts. It's taken ages for approval, so she wipes the slate clean as an experiment. She invites a woman to tell the story of her past; in this wek ling seminar, Charlotte DeLuca walks through her days at university, and reveals the silence. For years, she told nodody of her sufferings. Taken by surprise, she realizes her son attends the seminar; he taught at Hogwarts not long ago himself. Can she reveal her secrets without shattering her image?
    Has this story/chapter been submitted and rejected before?: Nope.

NOTE: I realize that this might be a challenge, and that it might not be appropriate for the forum. I'm just trying to give it a shot.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Hey there, Kuri,

I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to decline this one. It sounds interesting, but far too dark and serious for my capabilities as a writer/beta, I really wouldn't be able to do it justice. Thanks for enquiring though.

Sarah x

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Well, I'm here. Requesting your amazing beta services. Well, I'm a little unsure what to do. I can send you my story via email? I'm presuming you have your email on your profile page? Just give me the OK! As long as you are totally willing to accept. Back away now if you're unsure. haha. I'm joking. xxx

~ Annalise x

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I've just PM'ed you with my email as it's not on my page (I checked).

I'm also thinking that I need some sort of list....

LIST:
    1) Zahra
    2) Sophie
    3) Becca
    4) Charlotte
    5) Annalise

I'm sorry but I can't remember pennames!

*is excited she has a List*

Sarah x

P.S I'm terrible at organisation. If you think you should be on my List, PM me!

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Okay Sarah, since you did and are doing a wonderful job with Peter, it would be awesome for you to take a look at my other story. You certainly don't have to accept but I think that you would probably the best person to help me fix it since you helped me a lot with the main character.

Username: Annalise28 (on both)
    Story: Bewitched In Time
    Genre: General/Mystery/Next-Gen... Decide later.
    Ships: None
    Rating and Warnings: 1st - 2nd years, character death (minor)
    Word Count: Not sure. I have finished four chapters and in the middle of the fifth and each chapter is around 1500-2500.
    One Shot or Chaptered: Chaptered
    Expected Beta Time: Really, I don't mind. You can take as long as you want, although the quicker the better.
    Permanent Y/N: For my fic, yes, if I am writing something that you would prefer not to do, no.
    Summary:
    A dream can be happy sad, exciting, boring and sometimes even bring back repressed memories but no one expected what this dream held. Is it possible that a dream could inform someone of something in which they have never been told?
    Okay, I can officially say that I am shocking at summaries.

Has this story/chapter been submitted and rejected before?: Yeah, but that was when I first wrote it, ages ago.

Yeah, so, Sarah, if you remember Daphne, this is her story. It needs a lot of help, so you don't have to accept. If you remember, also, I was having a lot of trouble with her and her family and, well, everything.
    Well, if you accept, I know your email and I'll send the first chapter to you.

~ Annalise x

P.S. You will see my Daphne and Excerpts threads in my signature. The Excerpts are just from the prologue, which I have decided to scrap but I may write another one, although probably when my story is close to being finished. xxxxxxxx

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*