Thread: Mandy Brocklehurst

twilight_maiden

Mandy Brocklehurst

We don't really know much about Mandy, just that she was a Ravenclaw in Harry's year. But I'm writing a fic on her experience at Hogwarts, so I've got a few questions.
    What is her full name? Mandy is commonly a nickname for Amanda, but also for Miranda and Melinda.(One of my friends suggested Mandaria or Mandarina.) Could Mandy also be a given name?
    Did she have any friends in her year? I think that the only other Ravenclaw girls in Harry's year are Lisa Turpin and Padma Patil. Would she have befriended them? There are two invisible girls in her dorm, so maybe she could have been friends with one of those?
    Is she halfblood? On Harry Potter and Me, JKR said that she was. I thought of the idea that maybe her father was a wizard who turned down the opportunity to be trained, and her mother was muggle. Would that make any sense?
    Does she have any other family? When I first planned this out, she was the youngest out of four sisters; Maria, Virginia, Tamara, and Katherine. By the time she was eleven, Maria was married and out of the house.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I think that the only other Ravenclaw girls in Harry's year are Lisa Turpin and Padma Patil. Would she have befriended them? There are two invisible girls in her dorm, so maybe she could have been friends with one of those?
    Where do you take that from? Are there blank spaces on JKR's list? Because if there aren't, then maybe there are just three Ravenclaw girls in that year...

On Harry Potter and Me, JKR said that she was. I thought of the idea that maybe her father was a wizard who turned down the opportunity to be trained, and her mother was muggle. Would that make any sense?
    If her dad turned down the opportunity to be trained, why would he have his daughter trained, especially since this would complicate his and his wife's lifestyle enormously?
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think the 'blank spaces' idea has come about because there are supposed to be two other girls in Hermione's dorm, so people assume that there were 10 children in each year. Infact JK has said there are a lot more than ten per year You wouldn't really have the situation where every House as equal numbers - that's a bit silly.

Hmm, half bloods - that doesn't necessarily mean one of the parents was a Muggle. A half-blood is classed as someone who can't prove they're totally pureblood. Harry is a half-blood because his mother was Muggleborn. If you can trace a Muggle ancestor on your Family tree then you're a half-blood.

Regarding her name. I'd stick to Amanda if she's a Muggleborn. JK children don't have wildly unusual names - unless they're people like Sirius or Remus. Miranda is a good Muggle name for Harry's era, but I've never heard it shortentened to Mandy (odd, we used to shorten it to Randy - which is horrible)

To be frank Mandarina sounds like a mandarin orange.

You basically have free rein with this character ... and any of her friends. She wasn't in the DA though, so possibly not friendly with Padma.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I almost think, though, that Mandy really is her real name. It's what she was called when she was Sorted in PS/SS, and McGonagall did call Ron Ronald. I think if Mandy's name were Amanda, she would have been called Amanda during the Sorting Cermony. And I don't think Harry was the sort who would be in the habit of giving nicknames to strangers, at least not such familiar sounding nicknames.

Also, as far as Ravenclaw girls, I always felt that Morag MacDougal was Sorted into Ravenclaw as well. There was an essay written on the Harry Potter Lexicon a while back, and they had the guess that she was in Ravenclaw as well.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

twilight_maiden
    I guess her real name must be Mandy after all. (Mandarina was a joke my friend thought up, not a serious suggestion. ) I must be kooky or something, because I thought that Morag MacDougal was male.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by twilight_maiden
    I guess her real name must be Mandy after all. (Mandarina was a joke my friend thought up, not a serious suggestion. ) I must be kooky or something, because I thought that Morag MacDougal was male.
    Morag is a good (should that be guid) Scottish girls name. The MacDougals (and/or MacDougalls) are a Scottish West Coast clan.

I'm with Olive. If the McGonagall said Mandy, then she was christened Mandy.

Etymology (if you're interested) brocc-hol hyrst is Old English. Brocc-hol means Brock's Hole (translates as badger’s sett) and a hyrst is a wooded hill. I wonder if the rest of her family are disappointed that she's not a Hufflepuff like them?

The surname is most common in Lancashire. She could be from Oswaldtwistle (I love place names).

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

twilight_maiden
    I'm thinking she's going to be muggle-born, Northumbrian.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Like with other unmentioned canon characters. Mandy is almost completely an OC, so you can really make her into anything you want, as long as you are able to give your story a concrete foundation.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

AlexGinny1
    What is her full name? I just think Mandy is her name
    Did she have any friends in her year? I think she would be friends with Padma Patil and Hannah Abbott
    Is she halfblood? I would think so if JK Rowling said so
    Does she have any other family? I think she would have a younger sister