Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyjuice Question

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    But I do have another pondering. Day a person needed to take on the form of a woman before she became pregnant. Would hairs collected before she became pregnant be able to succeed in doing this, or do you think Polyjuice Potions only work with freshly gathered ingredients. Brings up an entirely new topic of people being able to transform into people who have died.
    I think you would take the form of the person at the time their hair was collected. What canon evidence is there to support this? Well, none, but it's just how I think it would work.

So, if you plucked a woman's hair before she became pregnant, you will take her non-pregnant form. And if you have a hair taken from someone who had died, you can still look like him/her. However, if you were to take a hair from a rotting corpse, you might just end up looking like a rotting corpse.

Here's a question: What if the person you want to look like was tragically hit by a cannonball and blown to little pieces? If you were to take a hair from his/her severed head, would the Polyjuice Potion give you the appearance of the person when they were whole, or would you end up being a writhing collection of red rags?

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hmmm, and here I have another problem ... I want to ask why Barty Crouch jnr, kept Mad Eye alive when he could have killed him and shaved all his hair off and kept that as a stash. My reasoning has always been that the hair needed to be as fresh as possible so Alastor had to be alive.

BUT, the hair Hermione collected (Millicent's cat) wasn't fresh at all. Harry and Ron collected fresh Crabbe and Goyle. Perhaps the fact that it was cat hair and old, left Hermione with her 'furry problem' for far longer than the hour Ron and Harry were PJ'd.

I still don't think the person would actually become pregnant, but I think he/she would look pregnant.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Tim, your morbid mind is showing again, and for some reason, we encourage it.

I suppose if you took hairs from someone who had been torn to bits, they would become just torn bits as well, but then they would alos be dead, so I don't imagine they would be able to change back afterwards. Or would they?

What does your morbid mind have to say on the subject, Tim?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

leahsm2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    I think you would take the form of the person at the time their hair was collected. What canon evidence is there to support this? Well, none, but it's just how I think it would work.
    Me too. I don't think its a manifestation of magic creating life, exactly, but of manifesting yourself as the person in whatever state they were in at the time you plucked the hair, so as Tim so eloquently put it, if you plucked the hair of a "writhing collection of red rags?" you'd be yourself as manifested inside aformentioned collection of red rags for one hour. You'd be you again when it wore off I think, because its sort of like how an animagi is radically different than a transfigured human. Why? Not sure, unfortunately I'm stuck being a Muggle but I would assume its in the nature of the magic being performed.

Inverarity
    I agree that you'd take the form of the person at the time the hair was collected. In Hermione's case, I assume she took the form of the cat (more or less) at the time it shed its hair on Millicent's robe.

Everything else is extrapolation, but we also know magic has limits. It's probably reasonable to assume that the hair has to be fairly fresh -- which would explain why Crouch kept Moody alive; you can't just shave someone's head, then kill them, then use the hair you collected to masquerade as that person indefinitely. (Though that would be a pretty interesting plot...)

Collecting hair from a corpse would probably make you look like a corpse. Collecting hair from a dismembered head? Eww. Depending on how grisly you want it to be, it might turn you into a dismembered head (would that kill you? Or would you be magically restored when the potion wears off), or -- because there was no body to copy -- maybe the result would be that your head would transform, but not the rest of you.

There are obviously limits to just how complete the transformation can be -- Hermione did not actually turn into a cat.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Tim, your morbid mind is showing again, and for some reason, we encourage it.

I suppose if you took hairs from someone who had been torn to bits, they would become just torn bits as well, but then they would alos be dead, so I don't imagine they would be able to change back afterwards. Or would they?

What does your morbid mind have to say on the subject, Tim?
    I think Polyjuice should be dangerous, and have some risks involved. We already know that lots of things go wrong if you used cat hair, for instance.

So I think that if you were to take the hair from someone who had been blown to bits, you will also turn into a writhing collection of red rags, meaning YOU WILL DIE. People don't tend to live if they're in pieces, so you will expire by virtue of what you are trying to mimic - something dead. Also, I don't imagine a pile of body parts would be able to reassemble themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by leahsm2
    Why? Not sure, unfortunately I'm stuck being a Muggle but I would assume its in the nature of the magic being performed.
    You give me an idea for another question: Would a wizard assuming the form of a Squib be able to perform magic? What about a Squib or Muggle using Polyjuice to take the form of a wizard?

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Would a wizard assuming the form of a Squib be able to perform magic? What about a Squib or Muggle using Polyjuice to take the form of a wizard?

I'm going to say yes to the first, because you keep your own self when you take Polyjuice Potion. Although harry felt his footsteps and voice becoming slow like Crabbes (or was he Goyle?) he was still Harry, so I think a wizard taking the form of a Squib would syill be able to do magic.

And for that reason I'd say a Squib or Muggle taking PJ potion wouldn't be able to perform magic.

Polyjuice is a disguise but that's all, it doesn't change you permanantly (ie genetically) and although Hermione complains about the eyesight - it's temporary. When they broke into Gringotts all the disguises came apart - Hermione stopped being Bellatrix and Ron looked like Ron again
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

leahsm2
    So I think that if you were to take the hair from someone who had been blown to bits, you will also turn into a writhing collection of red rags, meaning YOU WILL DIE. People don't tend to live if they're in pieces, so you will expire by virtue of what you are trying to mimic - something dead. Also, I don't imagine a pile of body parts would be able to reassemble themselves!
    >.> You don't really know that in that well, I was thinking about the Time Turner. There are two Hermiones and two Harry's at exactly the same moment because the future ones affect the behaviors of the earlier ones so they are all in the same moment at the same time and they shouldn't be by all logic, but they are so therefore I think you could make a case that you could inhabit unliving tissue, maybe in the same way an animal transfigured into an inanimate, non living thing can be returned to living. It seems possible to me at any rate.

Inverarity
    I think Polyjuice should be dangerous, and have some risks involved. We already know that lots of things go wrong if you used cat hair, for instance.

True, but I keep thinking of splinching, which apparently can leave pieces of you behind, yet it doesn't seem to be regarded as a serious risk, just kind of annoying and inconvenient.

This is another one of those things where it's going to depend on whether you're writing the YA version of the Potterverse that Rowling did (where someone turning into a bloody pile of dismembered bits and dying kind of goes against the genre), or the "adult" version.

You give me an idea for another question: Would a wizard assuming the form of a Squib be able to perform magic? What about a Squib or Muggle using Polyjuice to take the form of a wizard?
    I don't think Polyjuice Potion changes your intrinsic qualities. Saying that you'd gain or lose magic would be like saying you could gain or lose intelligence. Would Polyjuicing yourself into Dumbledore make you as great a wizard as him? Obviously not.

I don't think someone who used Polyjuice Potion to turn themselves into Remus would become a werewolf, nor would would Polyjuicing into Tonks make you a temporary metamorphmagus.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    And going on with this theme, a Muggle who took the Polyjuice Potion would not be able to perform magic if they took the form of a wizard.

I wonder if Polyjuice would work for turning into a vampire, or if they are technically considered human. I know that if you were to take hair from Lupin while he was in his werewolf state, they would not become a werewolf, but I wonder if vampires would be considered humans in this context.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!