Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyjuice Question

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Polyjuice Question

I just had the oddest pondering about Polyjuice, and I wanted to gather some perspective from the other members of the MNFF coomunity.

If a person were to collect hair from someone who was pregnant and put it into a Polyjuice Potion, once transformed, would the transformed wizard take on the form of a pregnant woman as well? What do you guys think?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

No answer but a related question that came to my mind some days ago. If never mind the circumstances, I have no idea how it actually would happen *a man was turned into a woman using polyjuice potion and slept with a man (and got pregnant), kept drinking polyjuice potion regularly for the next few weeks *and then stopped, what would happen?
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    To Karaley Dargen's question, I don't really think so. Just because of the sheer number of potions that would be necessary to carry a person through for nine months. They wouldn't be able to go back to their male forms for even a moment, and remember how much effort it takes to make a Polyjuice Potion.

Also, remember that the effects only last for a few hours with what we have seen from the books. The person taking the potion would also never be able to get a full nights sleep. They would go insane and probably die before they were even a month in.

But back to my question, any imput?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Gryffindor

Ah but remember Moody. He lasted almost a whole school year, and I suppose he would have to take it at night in case a ghost popped in through the wall or there was an emergency and someone rushed into his room.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Molly's question - I don't think the person would actually carry a baby inside them, but they'd look pregnant. They're not taking PJ potion made with the baby's hair after all.

Kara - I have no idea ... scary thought, though. I can't get my head round it, but I'll try. I think as soon as there's the slightest change back into a man, then the baby could disappear. I think they could get pregnant, after all Hermione complained about Harry's eyesight and I presume both her and Fleur grew *coughmaleappendagescough* as well.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor

I'm sure they'd definitely look pregnant I doubt they'd actually get pregnant, I mean imagine that, you could clone people like that take a hair of a woman who is just about to go into labour, and give the potion to a bunch of people *and you'd get tons of identical babies o__O

But since the pregnancy hormones go everywhere, I think it has to affect the outcome of the potion.

Maybe if you drink the potion and then get pregnant you get stuck *like Hermione when she took the animal hair. I wish I had Most Potent Potions... I'll never get the slip for the Restricted Section though *damn Madam Pince!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I never thought this would be made into such a long discussion.

What do the rest of you think in terms of my pregnancy questions? Would a person have to collect old hairs to keep from looking pregnant themselves? Do you think glamours could be used to hide the pregnancy bump, but then it would still technically be there.

On a related topic, how far do you think glamours could go in a disguise? Could they be used to create a full-body disguise? It has always been my pet theory is that glamours can be used as disguises, but they can only fool the eyes. Meaning you keep your same voice, but also, you remain as tall and short as you are originally. So if you were to take the form of a person much taller than you are, and someone tried to throw a book at your head, it would just pass right through.

Of course, then you are pretty much found out.

Brand New Story!

TheCursedQuill
    Isn't glamour faerie magic? Or can wizard's use it too?

But anyways, the questions. I agree with the other that when a person takes a hair from a pregnant woman, they would only appear pregnant and not actually be pregnant. Kara's question is more difficult though. For some reason I think that the potion wouldn't change the insides of you. So you could appear to have female parts, but wouldn't be capable to carry a baby. I can't think of why I would think this, but it seems easier if the potion didn't change your insides too. I mean, everyone has different organs really, I'm not into biology or anything, but I'm sure not two people have the exact same anything. SO, it would be difficult for the potion to change EVERYTHING about a person. Maybe it only changes the outside appearance?
    Editting this part because I remembered my point on why this idea could fail. When Harry drank the polyjuice potion he didn't need his glasses anymore. His eyesight changed and that's not really one's outside appearance but the working's behind your eyes. So. I'm at a lost and helped no one.

Back to glamours, my understanding of it (which is what I read from Faerie novels -yay Holly Black!-) is that it can only disguise what is already there, and will disappear over time. Your theory makes sense; if you make yourself taller and someone throws something at you, it would pass right through, because that part that you have now added onto youself, doesn't actually exsist. But, if you go even deeper into the matter, I think it would also depend on how powerful the glamour is. Stronger glamour might be able to create something that was solid.

Another little edit. 200th post =D

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Well, I know I saw glamours on The Craft (I know, not HP canon, but who doesn't take a bit of information from external sources), and witches were using them. The way they described it as was 'a illusion so real as to fool an onlooking, is one of the oldest forms of magic there is'.

And I would think that for all the powers witches and wizards have in the Potterverse, casting a visual illusion on themselves is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    I could be wrong, but I feel that if a person were to take Polyjuice Potion containing the hair of a pregnant woman, the drinker would not look pregnant. My reasoning is that - pregnancy is actually a (nine-month-long) temporary situation. When Hermione and Fluer took that potion and had Harry's poor eye-sight, it was because his condition was more or less permanent. In order to look pregnant, the person would have to use a charm.

As for Kara's question - wow - that one was tough, But following my earlier reasoning, I think the pregnancy might go away as soon as he stopped taking the potion as he would no longer have the woman's body and the child might be lost.

~ Just my two cents.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3