Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge 6 - Results!

AsphodelWormwood
    Author: AsphodelWormwood
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: A lecture (from Fred and George's perspective) on the O.W.L.'s
    Warnings: None
    Word Count: 476

"Ginny, dear, have you started studying yet?" Molly Weasley asked her daughter.

"Mum, it's summer. What are you talking about?" Ginny raised an eyebrow, Arnold the Pygmy Puff rolling across the sun-bathed table.

"Your O.W.L.'s! Haven't you given them a thought at all?" Mrs. Weasley asked, surprised.

"Uh, no. I kind of have another year, don't I?" Mrs. Weasley gave her a look that obviously read trouble if she didn't go upstairs and study. "Oh, fine."

She scooped up Arnold and walked upstairs. A sensible person would go up to their room and study, but being ever-so-rebellious, Ginny knocked on the door of her visiting troublemaking brothers, Fred and George.

"Hiding again, are we?" George asked, wagging a finger. "You'll have to get on your O.W.L.'s sometime!"

"Oh, shut it. Mum won't get off of me about it. She didn't bug you two that much!" Ginny made her way through the boxes of experimental merchendise.

"That's because she knew we'd never listen!" Fred explained.

"Well, here's my studying for the day. What do you guys think of O.W.L.'s?" Ginny asked, picking up a brightly wrapped candy she knew not to eat.

Fred scratched his head and looked out the window at the paddock behind The Burrow. "I guess you could say they're hard. But hey, if you fail miserably- you can always work for us!"

"Splendid idea! Anyway, you have to do a written exam for each subject, then another one where you go into a room with one of the instructors, where you have to turn several objects into dinner plates, forks, each more meanigless than the next, that's for Transfiguration, and then you have to make a boggart disappear or something in DA-" Fred was cut off.

"You're honestly telling me the truth? I remember you telling Ron a few years that you had to banish a dragon to pass." Ginny said skeptically.

"Well, Ron's a prat- not as much as Percy, but all the same... Anyway, You make a boggart disappear in DADA, there's nothing for History of Magic... Then it just depends on what subjects you take, which I could imagine you having to take care of a dragon in Care of Magical Creatures." George said thoughtfully.

"That's it. Honestly?"

"Yeah. I guess you need to study, but don't take our word for it." Fred said, he'd taken to stunning any passerby birds that cared to fly past the window.

"Well, alright then. You think Mum will take the time wasted as time... studied?" Ginny stuck her head out of the room, and could hear her mother talking to Ron about something he had forgotten to do. "Okay, good. She's preoccupied."

"Good luck, don't forget our offer!" Fred yelled out the door when she went to the room she and Hermioen shared. Ginny rolled her eyes and sat down on her bed, Hermione set down her book and looked at her.

"What was that about?" Hermione asked. Suddenly, the sun that had been shining so brightly that day, was gone, and there were pelting rain drops on the window. "That's odd."

"Yeah, it is. I had a penfriend though from the U.S., and I guess it happens there a lot. Anyway, I just got a lecture about the O.W.L.'s." Ginny flopped onto her unmade bed.

"From who?" Hermione asked, hoping it was from somebody with at least a bit of sense.

"Fred and George." She said casually.

"Oh, God help us all."

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Author: kehribar
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Chased Through the Future
    Word count: 496

This is not right. I am supposed to be studying!

Seventeen-year-old Nymphadora Tonks though that she already had her fair share of being scolded all through her life, so she almost never scolded herself. Then why did she had to deal with this unfamiliar voice in her mind telling her that she shouldn’t be here on the grounds, playing with Fang?

Because only two days later, she was taking her NEWTs. And if she wanted to be an Auror, she had to study. Tonks might not seem to care about the exams from the outside, but she actually did; if she was not going to be an Auror, she was going to be nothing. It was this certain for her, and the idea of failing was scaring her to death.

Then why am I still here?

“Okay Fang, I have to go and study now,” she said, standing up from where she had knelt on the grass. Fang growled in protest. Ignoring him, Tonks started to walk away, but a few steps later, Fang ran forward and stood on her way.

“Don’t let me jinx you,” Tonks sighed tiredly, but her warning didn’t affect the dog a bit. So in the blink of an eye, Tonks drew her wand and had him jinxed. Painful-looking pimples started to grow on Fang’s face. Eyes widening, Tonks snapped her hand to her mouth – she couldn’t believe what she had done!

“F-Fang, are you okay?” she asked, looking closely at the whining dog. Fang’s head snapped up, and he glared murderously at her. Tonks involuntarily took a step back.

“I-I’m sorry...” she stammered, but before she could finish, the dog leapt forward with a furious bark. Letting out a shrill scream, Tonks turned and broke out into a run.

“Stop chasing me!” she shouted as she sprinted, but the dog simply ran faster, barking madly.

I was supposed to be studying!

She crushed into someone.

Not looking up to see who it was, she jumped behind the person, hiding.

“Miss Tonks! What are you doing?!” cried a surprised voice, and all thoughts of the chasing dog flew from Tonks’ mind. She looked up, and came face to face with a dangerous looking Professor McGonnagal.

Fang’s barks saved her from the awkwardness.

Turning swiftly, McGonnagal pointed her wand at the dog, and the next moment, Fang slowly collapsed on his side, immobilized.

Tonks slowly straightened, smoothing her robes. Her cheeks were burning.

“I won’t even ask for an explanation,” said McGonnagal sternly. “I’d expect even you to be studying, Miss Tonks, instead of... fooling around.”

“Yes, Professor. Erm.... thank you,” Tonks murmured in a small voice. She turned, and trudged away through the castle. As guilt began to settle in her stomach, she defiantly held her chin up, trying to suppress the voice in her mind. She was going to fix this; she’d make it up to Fang at her first chance.

But now, her destination was the library.
    I am supposed to be studying Archeology for the midterm on Tuesday instead of dealing with this drabble :/
    The Run of the Mill

The phenomenal banner is by MissBean

crazy_purple_hp_freak
    Name: crazy_purple_hp_freak
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Charming pink ink
    Word count: 499

“S…S…” searched Sirius, wandering among rows of desks. “Now would that be ‘S’ for Snivellus, or for – “

“Snape. Here Padfoot! I got it!” James Potter waved a roll of parchment excitedly. “Hurry up guys. Flitwick could be back any second…”

Remus, Sirius and Peter hurried over. Remus picked up his wand and pointed it at the parchment. “Prongs, you sure this’ll wear off? I’d hate for the Ministry to find – “

“Oh don’t worry!” Sirius cut in. “What’s the fun without a bit of risk?”

Despite himself, Remus grinned. “Okay. Moony. “He said, beginning the incantation.

“Wormtail.”
    “Padfoot.”
    “Prongs.”

The parchment glowed for a second.

“Marauders in mischief, marauders to the end.”

~*~*~

An hour and a half later, Severus Snape sat down for his Charms OWL.

“You may begin.”

Severus turned the paper over and read:

Question 1. Give the incantation and describe the wand movement to make objects fly.

Dipping his quill in ink, Severus began to write.

“The incantation for – “

He stopped short, on seeing writing in bright pink ink form on the paper in front of him.

Mr Moony presents his compliments to Severus Snape and wonders why he bothers sitting exams in the first place.

Mr Prongs is equally astonished that such an idiot can even pick up a wand.

Mr Padfoot would like to add that Severus Snape would be an excellent subject for a flying spell – preferably a Quaffle.

And Mr Wormtail reminds Severus Snape that his FLIES are undone.

Severus blinked, his face turning scarlet, though he realised that nobody else would know what was going on, except perhaps, four certain other boys in the hall. Sighing, he turned to the next question, hoping that this one would be better.

Question 2. State the inventor of the Cheering charm and describe its effects.

Tentatively, Severus placed his quill on the parchment. He wrote one word…then another…nothing happened. Happily, he began to write.

He turned to read the next question, but stopped on seeing the same pink ink appear again. It began to alter his answer.

“The Cheering charm was invented in the 1400s by Felix Summerpee. The main effect is happiness towards the person the spell is performed on (so Severus Snape really needs one), though if overdone, hysteria may also be produced, which is also good for Severus Snape.”

Severus cringed, and glanced a few rows back. Surely enough, James Potter was sniggering. He scowled and turned back to his question paper, only to find that the next question had been answered for him.

Give four suggested uses of colour change charms.

1. To dye the Slytherin dormitories pink.
    2. To dye Severus Snape’s clothes pink.
    3. To dye Severus Snape’s hair pink
    4. To dye Severus Snape pink.

Severus screwed the parchment into a ball and stuck his hand into the air to ask for more.

Simultaneously, four boys sitting across the hall sighed with disappointment. Sirius pouted.

“But we were just getting to the good bit…”

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Snape Hates Me
    Author: That'd be me, Cinderella Angelina
    House: Hufflepuff...oh wait, did you mean my house or the house of my characters? *shrug* no difference
    Title: Calm Down
    Warnings: In a wild departure from my usual work, I focus on minor characters. Try not to be too shocked.
    Words: English. 463 English words. In fact, some of them are probably Anglo-Saxon based. The short ones, most likely. I couldn't count up for you how many of them are such, though, because I'm not very familiar with it. At any rate, all 463 words are English as far as I know. (Especially Draught)

Ernie MacMillan rushed into the common room, his eyes wide and desperate. He caught sight of me and practically galloped over.

“Justin, mate, you’ve got to help me.”

“What is it, Ernie?”

He gasped for breath. “Hannah. She’s almost hysterical with nerves. If we don’t calm her down she’ll have to get another Calming Draught from Madam Pomfrey.”

I glanced over at Susan, who had looked up from her Transfiguration notes in the fuss. She was a better friend to Hannah than I was and could tell from the expression on my face that I wasn’t going to come without her. Shutting her book, she stood up and made her way over to us.

“Do you think it might be a good idea for her to get a Calming Draught?” she asked quietly. “At least then we’ll be sure that she’s calmed down.”

“Is there time?” Ernie asked wildly. “We have our exam in less than an hour!”

I tried not to smile. “I’m sure there’ll be time. Where is she?”

“Oh! I left her in the library! I hope she hasn’t had a complete breakdown!” He ran back out of the room without waiting for us.

Susan looked sidelong at me. “Sounds like Hannah might not be the only one that needs a Calming Draught, eh?”

“You’d think with all the studying he’s done he’d be more confident,” I replied. “How are you feeling? Studied hard enough?”

She sighed. “It’ll have to do. I guess we’ll just see. Poor Hannah, though. We should go find them before they do some damage.”

Luckily, Madam Pomfrey had plenty of Calming Draughts made up (“It’s always the same, this time of year,” she clucked) and our friends were sorted in plenty of time to make our way to the Great Hall with the rest of the fifth years.

“It didn’t work,” Hannah murmured tremblingly as we sat down. “I feel better, but I just know I’m going to mess up terribly. I can’t remember how to Vanish!” Her voice rose alarmingly.

Susan squeezed her hand. “Don’t worry!” She stared at me until I chimed in, “It’ll come back to you, you’ll be fine!” Ernie just sat like a statue.

Too soon the examiners were ready. Hannah and Susan left in the first group, Hannah still clutching Susan’s hand till the last moment. I sent them one more smile of encouragement and sat back to calm myself down; I had studied as much as I could and only hoped it would be enough. With any luck I wouldn’t be too close to a Ravenclaw; that was a guaranteed self-esteem dip.

Then came the flamingos. Clearly, Hannah hadn’t remembered how to Vanish. I caught Susan’s eye across the Hall and we agreed: Well, we tried.
    Is this a good place to apologize for my submission form? I'm not in the mood to change it but perhaps I shouldn't be so random. It probably hurts my chances (slim as they are to start with).

FuzzyMuffins
    Author: FuzzyMuffins
    House: HufflePuff
    Title: A Loony Quiz
    Word Count: 375

“I will now hand back your quiz that you took on Friday,” said Professor Binns. “And then we will continue discussing the history of the Ministry of Magic,”

Luna twirled her Sugar Quill in her hands excitedly. She has studied all of Thursday night for this quiz. Luckily, she had kept an old issue of The Quibbler that discussed these very topics.

Professor Binns dropped a familiar piece of parchment of Luna’s desk, this time marked up with red ink. Luna gasped as she spotted the large D on the top of her paper. Once she got over the shock, she picked up her paper.

Her eyes got narrower and narrower as she progressed down the page. When she finished, she shot her hand into the air.

Professor Binns looked shocked that someone had interrupted the flow of his class. Attempting to get back on track, he stumbled, “Wh-what is it M-Miss Lan…Laner?”

“Lovegood,” corrected Luna. “I have a question about the quiz,”

Professor Binns looked totally lost. All he could do was nod at Luna to continue.

“On question one,” Luna started “You asked why the Ministry of Magic was created,”

Professor Binns nodded. “To help keep the Wizarding World secret from Muggles,”

“Well, I put down that it was to cover up the mass murdering of house-elves and goblins by the first Minister.” Luna frowned. “I vaguely remember reading about that last week,”

“Are you finished?” asked Professor Binns, a little impatiently.

“Ah, no Professor. The second question reads: ‘What was the main reason for the Muggle Protection Act of 1934.’”

“That should have been obvious,” snapped Professor Binns. “To protect Muggles from hate crimes,”

“Ah,” said Luna, smiling “That’s what they said. But in truth, it was a way to convince people that Minister Dingle wasn’t working for Grindlewald,”

Professor Binns glared at her. “Are you trying to be funny?”

“Oh no,” said Luna “I was merely surprised that I was wrong about some things.”

“Well, get used to it,” said Professor Binns. “Now, where was I?”

As he reverted back to his monotone, Luna withdrew the latest copy of The Quibbler from her bag.

I won’t fail the next quiz, she thought as she flipped to the article on the Ministry.

Masked One
    Author: Masked One
    Title: Practical Examination
    Warnings: Moody-like!Harry
    Word Count: 222

“This year,” Professor Potter said, “you will be taking your N.E.W.T.s. Undoubtedly your other Professors have already impressed upon you the importance of the N.E.W.T.s, warned you of the dire consequences of failure, and assured you that if you study hard and pay attention, you will pass them.”

He twirled his wand between his fingers, hiding a smile at the eye-rolling and murmurs of agreement.

“I’ll spare you that. You know what the N.E.W.T.s are. I’m going to tell you what they aren’t.” That got their attention. “They aren’t the end all and be all of your educational career. They aren’t an accurate representation of the skills required for most jobs. They aren’t the only thing future employers will look at.

“In short, your N.E.W.T.s aren’t the point of this class.”

He let his wand fall properly into his palm, and with no more warning cast a Leg-Locker at a Gryffindor in the back of the class.

“In my classroom, you will forget the N.E.W.T.s. The class this year - for the entire year - will be a practical examination in Defense. You will be prepared to defend yourself at all times - and you or your classmates will be responsible for sorting out the consequences of inattention. Five points to Gryffindor,” he added, as his first victim successfully countered his spell.

Sarakime
    Author: Sarakime
    House: SLYTHERIN!!!!!!!!
    Title: Nerves
    Words: 382

Focus! Pull yourself together, Hermione! You can do it! Hermione mentally pumped herself. She knew she had studied long and hard for these OWL exams, but that didn't prevent the doubts and nerves from creeping up her abdomen. She felt as if her hardly eaten breakfast would collapse onto the desk in front of her. The incessant tapping of her nails against the table drove her mad, yet calmed her at the same time. You can do this...

Even though Hermione prided herself on being a very, very bright witch, not even she could escape her feelings of total despair. Against her better efforts, she thought she was going to fail. Better yet, she was certain of it. The professor was preaching on about instructions of the test, where to put it when you're done, how it will work, and the importance of this test. As if Hermione didn't already know how important this would be! Her entire life, every single thing worth living for, was going to be depended on this test! She would fail this test, and then she'd never get a job. She'd never make any money. She'd be poor, and no one would love her, and she'd never be able to get married, or have kids, or own a house...

Oh Merlin! This is useless! Hermione let her head fall to the desk, heaving out a sigh. I might as well quit now. No use in going any further. I wonder if my Mum will mind if I move in with her..

With a snap of papers from the head of the classroom, Hermione lifted herself back up. She squared her shoulders and took deep breaths. She was over reacting, that's all. Calm, Hermione. Stay calm.. She murmured a quick thank you to the professor as she was handed the tests.

She gazed at the test and read the first question. Suddenly, almost as if a waterfall of knowledge in her brain had finally been let loose, Hermione remembered her full potential. She recalled every hour she studied, every book she read, every ounce of information possible. She was feeling very confident as she grasped her quill, dipping it in ink.

I guess I won't have to live at Mum's house after all... She smiled, and began writing.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Author: Cheshlin
    Title: Accomplishments
    Word count:265

Tonks jumped as her name was called to enter the exam room. She was motioned over to a wizard with white hair and kind blue eyes. Halfway to the station, she tripped and ended up flat on her face. Blushing, she stood up and walked the rest of the way to the wizard.

“Are you quite alright?” he asked with concern. At her nod he continued, “I’m Ampherd Dunst. I will be issuing your Defense Against the Dark Arts practical exam. You will please start here, and face each part to the best of your ability.

Tonks took the spot that was indicated. She found herself faced with a boggart, but luckily she had been expecting that and shouted “Riddikulus!”

Then she found herself in front of a board, where she had to list the three Unforgivable Curses. Moving on, Tonks had to face a few more creatures. She then had to perform a stunning charm and a disarming spell. She was surprised she got through the entire maze without falling on her face again.

“Good job Ms. Tonks, very good! I think you did a good job on this. You will receive your final scores at the end of the summer, “the elderly wizard said to her.

Tonks wanted to jump in glee. After having taken most of her exams, she had a good feeling for what the results would be.

Maybe her dream to become an Auror was more realistic then most of her friends and teachers kept telling her. She walked out of the exam with a feeling of pride and accomplishment.

Banner by Grangergirl from Slytherin

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Name: Gmariam
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Things With a Wand
    Words: 497

Albus Dumbledore took a deep breath and stepped into the Great Hall. He held his wand loosely at his side, ready for the practical examination of the Transfiguration O.W.L. An ancient wizard in blue robes met him at the door.

“Professor Marchbanks is available, Dumbledore,” he wheezed, then turned to the next student. Albus made his way across the hall to a small table in the corner. A middle-aged witch sat behind the table, glaring at him through wire spectacles. Her black hair was pulled tightly into a bun at the nape of her neck, and her face was stern and hard.

“Name?” she snapped.

“Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore,” answered Albus. Professor Marchbanks snorted.

“Well, I hope you live up to that mouthful!” She began by asking him for a simple Switching Spell, which he performed quickly and quietly. She made a mark on the parchment in front of her with a green tipped quill, then asked him to Transfigure her quill into a bird, which he did without comment. When he had turned the large peacock standing on the table back into a quill, she marked her paper once more.

Professor Marchbanks narrowed her eyes at him, and conjured a large badger in front of the table. “I’d like you to Transfigure that badger into a rug.” Albus completed the task easily. “Turn it into a gopher.” Albus frowned, as a gopher was hardly distinguishable from a badger, but did as he was told. “How about a lion?” Marchbanks was watching him closely; Albus knew she was testing his courage as well as his ability. He produced the lion, which gave a great roar, startling the other students in the hall. Marchbanks quickly Vanished the beast with a wave of her wand.

“Good, Dumbledore. Very good. Conjure a statue for me, please.”

Albus conjured a small marble bust in the likeness of the professor. She raised her eyebrows at his choice. “Animate it,” she ordered. With a wave of his wand, the statue opened its eyes and gazed around before speaking to the real Professor Marchbanks.

“He’s quite good, Griselda,” said the statue. The real Professor Marchbanks threw back her head and gave a barking laugh.

“Last one, Dumbledore,” she said, piercing him with her dark eyes. “Vanishing Spell.”

With a wave of his wand, Albus caused Professor Marchbanks to disappear. There were several loud gasps in the hall, and the old wizard who had called him in came running over in dismay.

“What happened?” he cried, his face panicked.

Albus waved his wand, and Professor Marchbanks reappeared. Tears were running down her face as she laughed heartily.

“Sorry, Professor,” said Albus blandly. “I wasn’t sure what to Vanish.”

“You’re a bold one, Dumbledore!” she exclaimed, marking a clear ‘O’ on her parchment. “I like you. I’ll be watching you.”

“Thank you, Professor,” replied Albus with a small bow. He left the hall, satisfied with a job well done and a benefactor well earned.

GreyLady
    Author: GreyLady
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Approval
    Word Count: 294

Neville sat fidgeting at the worn kitchen table, wearing a hole in the floor with his nervously tapping foot. In front of him lay a creamy parchment envelope that he eyed with apprehension. It looked innocent enough, but he knew better.

Every year when his exam results came in, his grandmother sat him down to give him a talk about “upholding the Longbottom name.” This, of course, included receiving good marks, which Neville was inconveniently abysmal at doing. And every year he would flee to his room afterwards to lie on his bed, jaw clenched tight and tears prickling the backs of his eyeballs. No matter how hard he tried, it was never enough for Augusta Longbottom. And to make matters worse, this year was N. E. W. T. S.

So it was that Neville found himself peering anxiously out of the window into a bright summer day, waiting for his grandmother to come home and bestow upon him the annual diatribe.

Lost in his worries, he didn’t realize she was there until a strong, wrinkled hand reached over his shoulder to pick up the envelope, making him jump.

“Gran! I didn’t hear you come in.”

She snorted softly as she lowered herself into the chair opposite him, “Oblivious as always,” she said, rolling her eyes slightly as to take the edge off her words.

Neville blushed slightly, ducking his chin. It was the truth, and they both knew it. He only hoped that his marks wouldn’t reflect that. He had really tried.

Time seemed to slow unbearably as the envelope was carefully slit open and a single sheet slid out. He held his breath as Gran’s flinty eyes scanned the page. Her face betrayed no emotion. Until—

“Well..." She looked up into his eyes.

And she smiled.