Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ginny Weasley - Part II

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Ginny Weasley - Part II

This is the new thread for discussing the character of Ginny Weasley. Here are some of the last few points that were posted in the last thread.

ok, i am doing a FF where Ginny is second guessing her engagement to harry, on the day of her wedding to him. Problem is i have already submitted chapter one and have now been told that i have made Ginny to pathetic, which having looked back, i agree with. My question is, how would she react is she overheard that Harry had cheated on her. i thought that , although she is a strong character and isn't supposed to be overly emotional, the fact that this is such a huge shock would cause her to break down (and cry, tell her mother, seek comfort from Hermione etc). But i don't know that much about the emotions of the harry potter characters so i wanted some help with this, if anyone could give me and info on how she might react! thanks!
    I think she'd be upset and incredibly angry. We don't see her cry in the books except for the time when she thought she was going to be expelled in COS.

She confides in one person at the most so doesn't share her problems around. For instance, rather than tell Molly that she likes Harry, she tells Hermione, and Hermione seems to be her confidente for most things (althouh I can imagine that person being Luna when they were at H/W without the Trio).

She would, I'm sure, cry, possibly to Hermione or by herself, but I think her overriding emotion would be anger at Harry.

Begs the question though, would she forgive him enough to marry him? Not sure she would, to be honest.

Carole
    And I have my own question as well. What do you think the differences would be in Ginny's mood between her first pregnancy and her second?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Double posting because I have another pondering about Ginny.

Do you think it would be possible that Ginny was a rather weak student in terms of magical study? I mean, for her career, she was a Quidditch player, and then she was a sports writer, careers that don't really have a great deal to do with magic.

I share the opinion many people have that J.K. turned Ginny into something of a Mary Sue after HBP, and she doesn't seem to have any real weaknesses or character flaws. I'm looking to find some and I wonder if this is a possibility.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

psijupiter
    We know she was quite a strong witch, in terms of casting spells, but I think it is plausible that she was weak or at least average at the more theoretical side of magic. We don't really know anything about how she did in school, other than that she and Harry didn't spend much time together at the end of HBP because she was studying for her O.W.L.s. Which could mean anyhting from doing the bare minimum amount of studying through to revising manically complete with multicoloured notes and timetables.

I don't know why a lack of theoretical knowlege would stop her going into careers that required more magical talent, if she was apparently more than capable of casting spells. Perhaps she didn't have the patience for working in the ministry or jobs like that?

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I guess I'm just trying to look to break Ginny's Mary Sue image and find out what some of her possible character flaws would be. Being just a weak (maybe even a lazy or distracted) student was just one of them. What could some other possibilities be?

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I guess I'm just trying to look to break Ginny's Mary Sue image and find out what some of her possible character flaws would be. Being just a weak (maybe even a lazy or distracted) student was just one of them. What could some other possibilities be?
    I dunno. I think Ginny was a reasonably interesting minor background character up until Half-Blood Prince. I suppose Ginny comes across as a Mary Sue not necessarily because she is perfect in every way, but because Harry goes gaga over her for no real reason other than "she's pretty", and she reciprocates his feelings. Being pretty and hot-tempered doesn't make Ginny a Sue, but her shallow romance with our central protagonist does, I think.

If Ginny, for instance, continued her relationship with Dean Thomas and never had any interest in Harry, I think she'd be a more respected character.

Tim the Enchanter

psijupiter
    I agree with Tim - I think Ginny ends up feeling fairly Mary-Sue like, because we don't actually know much about her. It's quite weird, actually.

As for flaws, I think being a lazy/distracted student would be a good one, and would fit in with her short temper. Simillarly, I can imagine her being quite a thoughtless person at times, speaking without thinking and perhaps hurting people's feelings in the process. She might also make snap judgements about people and then not change her mind easily. Afterall, she decided she loved Harry when she was eleven and then stuck with it, so she could easily make more negative decisions about whether she likes people and then never change her mind about them.

Going with that, she seems to be quite stubborn, to the point where it would get her into trouble. That can be quite a Mary-Sue like trait, if we think that she is right to be stubborn, but she could easily be stubborn and in the wrong, like refusing to apologise to someone, even if she should, or being determined to do things on her own when she she could ask for help. She also could easily be drawn into things, and not know when to back off or get out of a situation, like with Riddle's diary, when she could perhaps have asked for help/told someone earlier and instead she seemed to get sucked into it until she was trapped. Though admittedly, Riddle was probably affecting her mind just a bit!

I don't know if any of that helps at all. I'll go away and have a think.

kity1995
    i don't know what to say, when she was smaller she definitly had flaws: shyness and maybe beeing afraid of geting into trouble(she didn't tell anybody about Riddle's diary) and easily influenced (again Riddle's diary). but for her as an adult i don't know... i mean she had to be sort of perfect to be with harry and maybe that's why we think she is. maybe she is a super-protective mother or sonething like that... we don't have any way to find out, i think.

Castanje
    Well, based on the books we see quite a few flaws in Ginny. She seems to be open and funny, but she’s either jealous/possessive (of Harry, for instance) or she’s not trusting. Or you could possibly make her a bit plotting. All of these have base in the books. Just think of in book seven when Cho offered to show Harry the way to Ravenclaw tower – either of those motives could be behind her preferring Luna to be his guide. Just pick one and give a background.

Also we know she’s a good liar – not exactly a mark of perfection. And I agree with her being thoughtless at times – particularly when angered. She’s also caring, though. In addition - she admires her twin brothers, and Tonks. You could make her get into a bit of trouble at school. It doesen't seem unlikely at all.

In addition she’s the only girl in a big family – based on her stubborn quality and her ability to lie, you can make up a fair few bad traits. It’s likely she would have hidden her weaknesses the best she knew how to.

I always picture Ginny having a few quite Slytherin-like qualities, but that could just be me. And it's based on her waiting so long for Harry. It seemed so ... planned. And plotting seems a Slytherin trait.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by psijupiter
    She might also make snap judgements about people and then not change her mind easily.
    Actually most of the Weasleys are pretty judgemental. Arthur aside, they're all fairly prejudiced. Ron's reaction towards Remus being a werewolf and also his reaction to Hagrid being a half giant are indictitive of a person who judges very quickly.

Molly believes Rita Skeeter very easily in GOF. I mean, she knows Hermione, yet still thinks that Harry's sobbing his heart out over her. She and Ginny also dislike Fleur intensely - in Ginny's case I think she's jealous, but in Molly's it's because no one is good enough for her son.

Fred and George can't forgive Cedric for catching the Snitch ahead of Harry.

They don't hold grudges though. Ginny does appear to be rather a jealous girl and I can see her being really disparaging of anyone who doesn't live up to her particular ideals. And she loses her temper quickly (hexing Smith, shouting at Blaise)

I don't think Ginny's a Mary-Sue and I'm not totally sure where this comes from. Why isn't she allowed to be as brave, stubborn and reckless as her brothers? Is Ron a Gary-Stu because he comes back and saves Harry and gets to snog Hermione? JK never refers to her as beautiful or slim, Harry remembers her blazing look and the feel of her lips before he dies. He never mentions her incredible beauty, or skin or any of the stuff they talked of in the movies.

I don't think she's particulalrly bright, and she's not mentioned as being a Prefect - in fact she's not a prefect because she doesn't patrol with Ron and Hermione in HBP. She was probably good at DADA and Charms, but you could have her being bad at a lot of other things. She's more like Fred and George than Ron.

Pregnancy question (I knew I'd get round to that)

Right, whilst pregnancies can vary from one to another, she's unlikely to feel vastly different. There's a theory that if you're carrying a girl it leads to more hormones so you;re more emothional and if it's a boy you'll be more sick, but in my experience that's bunkum. She may have different cravings, she may have different dislikes, but the tiredness, the emotional aspect and the irritation when complete strangers insist on touching the 'bump' will be the same.
    One thing I would say, is that she'll get a lot less fuss made over her because people assume she's fine. If she's also looking after a toddler (James) then she probably needs more help - not less. Heaven help her when she's pregnant with Lily - because no one will help!

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    I dunno. I think Ginny was a reasonably interesting minor background character up until Half-Blood Prince. I suppose Ginny comes across as a Mary Sue not necessarily because she is perfect in every way, but because Harry goes gaga over her for no real reason other than "she's pretty", and she reciprocates his feelings. Being pretty and hot-tempered doesn't make Ginny a Sue, but her shallow romance with our central protagonist does, I think.

If Ginny, for instance, continued her relationship with Dean Thomas and never had any interest in Harry, I think she'd be a more respected character.
    First of all, until now I never had the feeling that Ginny was a disrespected character. On the contrary, I always felt that she was one of the few not-so-major characters who had really obvious flaws –*many more than Hermione for example, in my opinion.

Next, Harry doesn't "go gaga over her for no real reason other than 'she's pretty'". I've often heard people say that the romance between Ginny and Harry isn't well developed enough, but I wonder where you take that from. For one, Harry never calls her pretty. Others do (like Pansy in HBP on the train ride, I think), but equally often it is said that she is small and resembles Fred and George. That sounds quite average to me. Then, where does your "for no reason at all" come from? Harry has known Ginny for five years before they get together, and has spend a lot of time with her during those years. Apart form them running into each other in the Common Room, the Great Hall, the corridors, the grounds etc, she was always around when he visited Ron during the summer (and at some point maybe even started speaking to him). They can't have ignored each other all those weeks –*they would have talked, made jokes, maybe done some household chores for Mrs Weasley together, sat next to each other during dinner, played Quidditch, fed the chickens... I'm not saying that they did everything together form day one. But you can't live with a person for weeks at a time without feeling in some way (good or bad) about them. For Hermione, Harry developed brotherly feelings; for Ginny they were romantic. I don't see this as implausible at all – only because JKR didn't write it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. They must have interacted in some way or another while they both were staying at the Burrow or at Grimmauld Place.

Now, to get to the actual topic/question: Just like Carole, I don't think that Ginny is portrayed as a Mary Sue, but that you just have to go and maybe look a bit deeper to find her flaws. She's short-tempered with people she dislikes or when she's in a bad mood. She certainly seems like a trouble maker (hexing people, crashing into the commentator's box after Quidditch, lying, stink pellets,...). I definitely see that she wouldn't be able to pay much attention in classes she doesn't like a lot or where she isn't really good. I don't see her getting frustrated over trying to get a transfiguration spell to work, but rather just doing something completely different instead, like levitate around the teacup she was supposed to transfigure.

Some subjects might come natural to her –*like maybe Charms (we see that she's good with hexes) and DADA, perhaps Care of Magical Creatures or something like that. But if she isn't good in a subject, she wouldn't spend hours studying either. Except for her OWLs, we hardly ever see Ginny studying or doing her homework, do we.

We definitely see her being jealous at times (maybe with Fleur, definitely with Cho in book 4 (when Harry says he asked her to the ball) and book 7) – maybe that's just with Harry because she's scared of losing him now that she's finally got him, but maybe it's a general character flaw too. Perhaps she's used to all her older brothers paying attention to her?

Quote Originally Posted by psijupiter
    Simillarly, I can imagine her being quite a thoughtless person at times, speaking without thinking and perhaps hurting people's feelings in the process.
    I actually doubt that Ginny would hurt someone's feelings by speaking thoughtlessly – or do we ever see her do that? Much rather I see her aiming to hurt someone quickly when she's upset. Look for example at HBP when she's in that fight with Ron over her kissing Dean in that corridor. She doesn't accidentally let something slip but struck Ron RIGHT where it hurt him most –*that he had never kissed a girl. Rather than Ginny hurting people by accident or without meaning to, I can see her flaw being that she purposely says things that she knows could hurt people because she's upset. That makes her sound very evil now... What I mean is – if she ever does it, she doesn't do it because she wasn't thinking before she spoke, but knew exactly what she was doing.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey