Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hogwarts Express Compartments

TheCursedQuill
    I always thought that students didn't wear muggle clothes. That's what really makes me mad about the third movie... As Minna said, if wizards wore muggle clothing, then why would they be so bad as dressing as muggles?

As for the whole robe thing (which I know is not what you want, Minna, but I feel the urge to answer!) I think students would put their robes on over whatever they are wearing, for the first night. After that they could choose to do whatever they wanted, and in Snape's case, obviously wearing just his knickers under his robes!

As for the doors, I think that are opaque. I don't have the sixth book with me right now, but is Carole says there are blinds, I'm siding with Carole! She's pretty much always accurate. There's also many times when Harry and co are talking in a compartment, and they want a little privacy so they can close the door, lock it, shut the blinds, whatever it takes to let them talk freely among themselves.

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCursedQuill
    As for the doors, I think that are opaque. I don't have the sixth book with me right now, but is Carole says there are blinds, I'm siding with Carole! She's pretty much always accurate. There's also many times when Harry and co are talking in a compartment, and they want a little privacy so they can close the door, lock it, shut the blinds, whatever it takes to let them talk freely among themselves.
    Yeah, this makes sense. I mean, everyine is always staring at Harry when he is walking down the corridor, but never when he is in a compartment. (right? *doesn't have her book*) But they WOULD if they could, wouldn't they?
    Well, I just realize Harry and co. would always shut their blinds if they had some, but then how come Romilda Vain knew where his compartment was? .... she could still know, though-tht STALKER :P
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    I looked in HBP and there are definitely blinds because Draco let them down before doing the whole Full-Body-Bind-and-break-his-nose thing on Harry.

As for the robes...seems I've unexpectedly stirred up a debate.

Azhure
    With the wearing clothes under robes issue, I've always thought that it depended on the wizard. If they come from a pure-blood family which has no contact with Muggles, I don't think they would wear clothes under robes. But if they have a Muggle background, they would feel more comfortable with Muggle clothing (especially for the boys, who would be unused to wearing dress-like clothes). Half-bloods would no doubt vary their choices -- depending on if they're exposed to Muggle culture and what their parentage is like.

Basically, I think it's up to personal preference.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    This is going to be a very off-topic post.

Quote Originally Posted by minnabird
    -The list of items needed for school mention no shirts, pants, skirts, etc.
    The robe is part of the uniform that sufficently covers the body. I don't think there is a need to specify the inner garments especially given that the general wizarding wear are robes itself.

-At some point something was said along that lines that a lot of modern wizard kids wore Muggle clothes during holidays.
    Em, where?

-If wizards regularly wore Muggle clothes under their robes, why would they be so awful at wearing them?
    They would be awful because they probably don't keep up with what is in fashion in the Muggle world. Wizards are occasionally shown to be backwards in many walks of life compared to the Muggles. Perhaps what they try is to ape the current trend so as to not look out of place. Trends change.

-Old Archie at the Quidditch World Cup makes it fairly clear that he's used to wearing something similar to the Muggle nightgown he's wearing at that time...(I do not mean to imply that wizards do not wear underwear. I'm pretty sure they do.)
    And the wizarding alternative of a woman's nightgown would be? Like Azhure said, it's probably about what Pureblood/Half-blood/or what different age groups prefer.

-When Snape is flipped upside down, we see his underwear. While it's possible he's just a weirdo, given the rest, I'd say this could count as evidence.
    The illustration in DH at the beginning of the chapter 'Kreacher's Tale' shows the photograph of the Marauders Harry finds in Sirius' room. In the drawing, the four students are clearly wearing some sort of clothes beneath their robes. James and Remus have button-down shirts while Peter and Sirius have t-shirts. In the chapter 'A Place To Hide' I think Ron and Harry also have clothing under their robes when they are shown hurrying along Tottenham Court Road. I assume illustrations are canon.

-Also, when we see his memories in DH, during the part on the Hogwarts Express it mentions something about him looking more comfortable wearing his robes rather than his uncomfortable, ill-fitting Muggle clothes. If he were still wearing said clothes, would the robe really help his uncomfortableness?
    It appears to Harry that he had indeed taken the opportunity to take his clothes off and replace them with school robes. But this is Snape we are talking about. See that this is actually the fifth time that Jo makes a reference to Snape's clothes in five pages. He could easily be an exception to this general rule because he's probably never wore decent Muggle clothes, which therefore explains his evasion to them. This could also explain his wearing just pants in SWM.

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    This has just occurred to me. SWM is set in June (exam time). It's a hot day (the girls are cooling off by the lake). Perhaps Snape isn't wearing trousers because it's hot. Perhaps the reason it's so 'amusing' to the other students is because he's not wearing trousers (or shorts) and that's why their laughing.

I think the many references to his ill fitting clothes are, like Akay said, reason enough for him to discard them. Despite having a Muggle Dad, he doesn't have any new clothes - he wears his dad's hand-me-downs. It's hardly surprising that he wanted to get out of them asap.

The illustration in DH at the beginning of the chapter 'Kreacher's Tale' shows the photograph of the Marauders Harry finds in Sirius' room.
    We don't get illustrations in UK editions. That could just be the illustrator's idea of what they looked like but maybe JK would have some say in the pics - especially by book seven, although she wasn't able to veto the Italian front covers which had some sort of rodent in a hat on the front cover.

EDIT:
    At some point something was said along that lines that a lot of modern wizard kids wore Muggle clothes during holidays.

Em, where?
    In GOF (Back to The Burrow) Vernon is shouting at harry and says he hopes the Weasleys will be wearing normal clothes ...

Harry felt a slight sense of foreboding. He had rarely seen Mr or Mrs Weasley wearing anything that the Durselys would call 'normal'. Their children might don Muggle clothing during the holidays, but Mr and Mrs Weasley usually wore long robes in varying states of shabbiness.
    Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Halgy
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNaLoVeGoOdLoVer
    ACCASIONALLY
    Occasionally. Google knows everything.

I just wanted to add a couple pieces of evidence: I recall that Peaves once made Nevil light his pants on fire before he could pass, and Harry wore a t-shirt under his Quidditch robes when he played Slytherin in his 3rd year. As such, I've always thought that (most) students wore some clothes under their robes (besides just their skivvies); as such, they would just wear their robes over their normal clothes first day back and wouldn't need discrete changing rooms or anything.

As for wizards normally wearing muggle clothes: We know that Ron (as wizarding as you can get) wears jeans (since Hermione packed his old ones when they left the Burrow in DH), and the Christmas jumpers that his mum knits could pass as muggle, really.

it might be that wizards in Harry's generation like to wear muggle clothes (the muggle-borns would for sure). However, older generations don't, and therefore they don't know how to dress.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Halgy

I just wanted to add a couple pieces of evidence: I recall that Peaves once made Nevil light his pants on fire before he could pass.
    I think in this instance, it's reffering to Neville's underwear, not his trousers.

I think the evidence is somewhat confusing in the books, in some cases we have things like Harry's tshirt mentioned, and in others, descriptions of how wizards are terrible at dressing like Muggles.

I am inclined to go with the theory that more Muggle born students choose to wear clothes under their robes, if only to feel decent. When I was in school, we used to wear shorts under our kilts in summer just so nobody would see anything if the wind were to blow. It could be a simelar case here.

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Another point to add to the mix is that Draco takes points away from Ron in OotP because his shirt is untucked. That implies that there's an opening in the front of the robe (or maybe that Ron just isn't wearing one?)

Maybe the robes can button all the way up, and students can choose to have it opened or closed. People who wear it opened clearly need to wear something else, because walking around in your undies is a no go in any school. Another possibility is that there are two kinds of robes--the open kind and the not open kind. I went to a school with a uniform, and we could wear pullover sweaters or cardigans.

This is extremely complicated. XD I think Jo wasn't very consistent in her image, which is what's causing all of the confusion.

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

This probably won't help, but it's just what I thought.

You know how some people wear undershirts and cami's under their clothes so some of the shirts aren't see-through or so they don't scratch? I just thought they wore an under shirt under their robes. Or in the winter they wear a white button up shirt under their robes so they are a bit warmer and in the summer you would just wear an undershirt. I think it would depend on your blood status on what you did.

This is extremely complicated. XD I think Jo wasn't very consistent in her image, which is what's causing all of the confusion.
    I agree with you there.
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!