Thread: Hogwarts Express Compartments

Hybrid View

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Being Saved by Our Guardian Anglia

Hogwarts Express Compartments

So I have kind of a weird question. On the Hogwarts Express, the students change into their robes partway through the trip. All canon evidence (save for the illustrations) points to the idea that wizards' robes are like dresses - you don't generally wear anything under them. So how do you think they'd change: in the compartment? In a bathroom? If in the compartment, that implies that the doors on those are solid and opaque - hopefully. Does anyone know if there's any canon evidence to the contrary?

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I was always under the impression that Hogwarts robes were more like cloaks that go over your shirt and trousers and such. I pictured students simply putting them on over whatever they were wearing.

As for the compartment doors, I imagined them to be translucent glass. You could see silhouettes and shadows and such through them, but no detail.

But then again, I guess they are actually fully transparent glass, since throughout the books Harry can see people in their compartments and they him. Even in the first book, I thinks he looks through the door to see Ron all alone.

I also recall that in Half-Blood Prince, after Malfoy petrified Harry, he closed all the blinds. So scratch the idea of the translucent glass. I suppose the door's window is fully transparent, but has shutters of some sort to block the view if the occupants wish to do so.

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

In the first book, I think Ron and Harry send Hermione out because they want to change. After that, they often change in the same compartment –*I think. I don't know if they wear anything under the dressrobes, but I know that friends of mine and me have some techniques of changing clothes without standing around in your underwear at any point. So for example with robes –*they'd pull the robes over their heads, but not yet through the arms. Then you can get your arms out of the t-shirt, pull it over your head through the head-hole of the robes (am I still making sense?) and then take your trousers off. And no one would see the least bit of skin you don't want them to see – was this in any way comprehensible?

So, from canon, I think we can say that they change in their compartments. I think it would be quite a holdup if they would change in train bathrooms, as there are lots of students who notice "oh, there's Hogwarts, I have to change" at the same time...
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Tim - I can cite numerous examples that kind of kill that idea...that's mostly movie/illustration/fanfiction canon.

Kara - Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case.

So...any ideas as to whether the compartment doors are opaque or not?

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by minnabird
    Tim - I can cite numerous examples that kind of kill that idea...that's mostly movie/illustration/fanfiction canon.

Kara - Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case.

So...any ideas as to whether the compartment doors are opaque or not?
    Well, I haven't read the books in a while, and details about people's clothing is not something I remember too well.

But for the compartment doors, I think they are transparent, but with blinds/shutters/curtains, or something or other to block the view from the corridor.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I'd always assumed that they wore clothes underneat - like Tim thought, but Snape's underwear is on show in SWM so he's obviously not wearing trousers.

Right, it only says that they take off their jackets, and Rons robes were short so you could see his trainers. It doesn't say they took off anything else. That sort of implies that they keep things on underneath - in my opinion.

I don't think the windows are opaque because they have too many visitors in later books who see Harry (Romilda, Cho etc)

Carole

EDIT - Draco pulls down blinds on the outside windows when he leaves Harry in the carriage. Could well have blinds on the inside as well.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Thanks Carole - that's very helpful. And it makes sense; when you don't want to be seen you draw the blinds, when you don't mind, you can open/pull them up.
    As for the clothes issue I'd rather not go into it 'cause it's not really the focus of this question...
    All right I think I have my answer. Talk about fast!

Black-Sand
    G'day

I always thought they had to wear a button up t-shirt underneath line normal schools and pants. Maybe back in the Marauders day they didn't, but I always thought they were refering to Snape's pants.

If I'm right, although I could be wrong, they would have to send the opposite gender out to change into their tops and pants.

...xXxLove SandyxXx...

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Okay, just for the sake of argument, my argument for no Muggle clothes under school robes (note that I do not have exact textual references because I am not flipping through the books for this).

-The list of items needed for school mention no shirts, pants, skirts, etc.
    -At some point something was said along that lines that a lot of modern wizard kids wore Muggle clothes during holidays.
    -If wizards regularly wore Muggle clothes under their robes, why would they be so awful at wearing them?
    -Old Archie at the Quidditch World Cup makes it fairly clear that he's used to wearing something similar to the Muggle nightgown he's wearing at that time...(I do not mean to imply that wizards do not wear underwear. I'm pretty sure they do.)
    -When Snape is flipped upside down, we see his underwear. While it's possible he's just a weirdo, given the rest, I'd say this could count as evidence.
    -Also, when we see his memories in DH, during the part on the Hogwarts Express it mentions something about him looking more comfortable wearing his robes rather than his uncomfortable, ill-fitting Muggle clothes. If he were still wearing said clothes, would the robe really help his uncomfortableness?

Not that I'm not grateful for help, I'm just pretty convinced of my ideas about wizarding attire and am really not looking for help about that...