Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily (Evans) Potter - Part II

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Storm

I'm wondering what Lily's relationship would be with the other marauders. She greets Sirius as 'Padfoot' in her letter to him, so obviously she was in on the whole 'animagi' secret, but how close was she to Remus and Peter? I can imagine her liking Remus, I think.
    You're right, she does seem to be pretty friendly with them by the time she has Harry. We know from an interview w/ JK Rowling, that Lily was popular and well-liked. So the Marauders probably disliked her at first because of the way she treated them in the past and how she had treated James. But I like to believe that all of them grow up a bit after the WW incident. When they actually get to know her I believe they come to like her and the same goes for Lily. She's been treating them based on these ideas she's had about them since first year.

On the Remus front, she probably liked him best as he was the most mature and responsible of the four. While he could not control his friends, he seemed to at least know what they were doing was immature or wrong and did not participate. Also, he definitely liked Lily. In an interview JK Rowling was asked if anyone other than James liked Lily. She said (using my memory currently, not the actual interview, so I apologize if this is not spot on) that Remus liked Lily but never pursued her like James did.

I hope that helps!!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think you have to be careful about Lily hating them all since the first year. She may have taken a dislike to James and Sirius, but I don't really think she'd carry on hating them until year seven. Given that Harry and Ron know barely anything about Lavender and Parvati, it's quite possible that they kept out of each others' way until James started making a prat out of himself by asking her out.

JKR said that Remus did like Lily but would not have done anything about it because he knew James liked her. She told David Thewlis this, and it accounted for the line in POA film about Lily being kind to him (or something).

I think that once she started going out with James, then she obviously started to understand the others a bit better. Whether they'd immediately accept her into their little gang is another thing entirely. Lily's arrival in James' life changes the whole dynamic.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    And it is logical to assume that if Lily and Remus became prefects together, she would have been somewhat closer to him that the other Marauders. At least she would have seen him as being the most mature among all of them and probably the least annoying.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    I think you have to be careful about Lily hating them all since the first year.
    Just to clarify, all I meant by disliking them since first year was that she probably never made an effort to get to know them so she was operating on her initial judgements of the boys. Also, it was obvious James and Sirius hated Snape from the minute they saw him and instantly started making fun of him in front of Lily which made her dislike them. So just assumptions she made early on I believe influenced the way she acted towards them.

JKR said that Remus did like Lily but would not have done anything about it because he knew James liked her.
    Oops. Forgot to put that part in. Actually knew that, even in one of my fics.

I agree that Lily arriving on the scene would change the whole dynamic. I feel that's even slightly when they started drifting away from Peter. It may be cliche, but I always felt that once Lily arrived Remus and Sirius became closer which left almost no room for Peter. Not that they completely ignore him, but he just starts to feel like a third wheel if he is hanging around Sirius and Remus or Lily and James.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil Med
    And it is logical to assume that if Lily and Remus became prefects together, she would have been somewhat closer to him that the other Marauders.
    There isn't any canon evidence that Lily was a Prefect, by the way. Because she was made Head Girl, then I agree it's likely, but James was made Head Boy without being a prefect, so she doesn't have to have been. But I agree she'd probably have found Remus less annoting than the other three.

Also, it was obvious James and Sirius hated Snape from the minute they saw him and instantly started making fun of him in front of Lily which made her dislike them.
    Mmm, you have to remember that Snape didn't exactly hold back on the dislike in those first few moments either. James may have made the first disparaging comment about Slytherin, but Snape got in a few digs about Gryffindor too.
    Hate is a very strong word. I don't think James and Sirius 'hated' Snape from the first. They disliked him, and had fun at his expense, but hate? I doubt they thought him important enough to hate until later in their school life.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Just to clarify, all I meant by disliking them since first year was that she probably never made an effort to get to know them so she was operating on her initial judgements of the boys.
    Hmm. I went to a very small school. There were 24 people in my year, 12 in each form, so I can tell you that it's very unlikely that Lily went through most of her school career not getting to know the Marauders. She would have spent most of her lessons with them and shared her free time with them so it would have been impossible not to learn something about them. I also doubt that Lily is as stubborn as to ignore Sirius and James for six odd years. She may have initially disliked them based on that moment on the Hogwarts Express, but I think that she may have relaxed towards them after a few days. The could have even been friendly towards each other at times. I doubt they would have been very good friends, but I don't think she would have disliked them from that moment, or deliberately not make an effort to get to know them.

In a small school, you end up getting to know everyone.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Enemies of the Heir, Beware...of the Petrified Cat!
    I think this is in the right category. I hope so I was wondering--let's say that by the time it's James' birthday him and Lily have been together for a couple of months. (That's what happens in my universe anyway.) What would Lily get James for his birthday? I have his present to her mapped out pretty easily, but I really have no clue as to what she could give to James. Maybe it's because I never seem to give presents to the men in my life (eek!) but I honestly don't know. I was thinking, a watch, and something charmed, as apparently that was Lily's strong point in magic, and it does seem Lily-like for her to spend time on making a present for James, as opposed to James, who's rich and can simply buy whatever. (I'm not saying James is shallow--he's not. He's just got the added advantage of money on his side, really.)

Can anyone help me here?

~Soraya~

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I think something charmed would be a good idea. If they've only been going out for a couple of months, though, you might want to consider the dynamics of the relationship. My boyfriend's birthday was two months after we got together, and I didn't really feel confident or like I knew him well enough to get him something really big and really romantic, but every couple is different. Perhaps your Lily is eager to make up for being an idiot towards James and so gets him something big, but perhaps she's still a little shy or doesn't feel she knows him well enough, and gets him something smaller and more generic, like a watch or something. Or perhaps they've been slowly buliding their friendship over the course of a year or so, in which case she'd know him fairly well. It all depends on their relationship, but remember that even though they did get married in the end, love comes on gradually, so they might not be the loved-up couple they are when they get married.

As for exactly what, I think that the romantic side of Lily might charm something herself, or perhaps get a picture of him and his friends, or him and her together. Cheeky Lily might get him something from a joke shop as a sort of joke gift, and then something else. Cologne might be an idea, or something Quidditch related. Not very specific, I'm sorry!

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    In one story, I had Lily knit him a Quidditch Hat. It was a badly knitted because she wasn't very good, but James wore it anyway and the others laughed at him.

That possibly sounds a bit Hermione-ish, though.

Banner by minnabird

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Enemies of the Heir, Beware...of the Petrified Cat!
    Carole: That's a great idea, but a) it's yours and b)you're right, it's a little Hermione-ish. I guess I could get into the whole idea--charmed Quidditch gloves or something? Hmm.

Sarah: That's true. Lily only really became friends with James in their seventh year--in my universe--so this might affect how personal Lily's gift is. At the same time, I think she has grown to like him over the months so I don't think she can give him anything too generic.

Actually, I think that Lily could give James a watch as a present. Maybe, though, instead of an additional thing she could charm it or something? Thanks for the ideas, Carole and Sarah. Much appreciated

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.