Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lily (Evans) Potter - Part II

Clone Club Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Ultimate Chess
    Hmm, true. I just thought that Lily and Severus were still quite good friends when that happened, even though Severus was talking to people Lily didn't really approve of, if you get my drift. I always did get the feeling though that Severus didn't really fit in to that group, however.

Lily
    Lily Writes ♥ alisonhendrxes blogs ♥ @lilysinsistence tweets

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot11333 View Post
    I haven't read the other five pages of this, but I was just wondering: Does anyone else think Lily was a little hard on Snape when he called her the M-word? I mean, he was upset, he was HANGING UPSIDE DOWN, and he probably wasn't the most clear-headed person ever. And this is just me, but *my* very best friend has called me a b**** before now, and I
    'm obviously still friends with her. I get that Lily was a little hot-headed, but this just strikes me as weird.

Anyone else?

(This is coming from a Snape lover, so I might be biased).

Lily
    Maybe. It basically boils down to - we don't know what else was going on. Clearly Lily and Snape had been friends since before they went to Hogwarts, but maybe their relationship was already strained and that was the last straw. Maybe they briefly made up before having another fight and finally breaking it off.

We don't really know - at least not directly from the books.

Also, the M-word seems like a much worse word than the one that means female dog. We don't know what kind of promises he made to her about her blood status, or how strained their relationship was from that angle.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Ascendio
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot11333 View Post
    I haven't read the other five pages of this, but I was just wondering: Does anyone else think Lily was a little hard on Snape when he called her the M-word? I mean, he was upset, he was HANGING UPSIDE DOWN, and he probably wasn't the most clear-headed person ever. And this is just me, but *my* very best friend has called me a b**** before now, and I
    'm obviously still friends with her. I get that Lily was a little hot-headed, but this just strikes me as weird.

Anyone else?

Lily
    I think the thing about being called a Mudblood is that's it's something that she has no control over. It's similar to a race issue, if you were black(which you may be, I have no idea as this is the internet), and got into a really bad fight with one of your best friends, and they proceeded to tell you that they didn't want to be friends with a n****? Not cool, at all. Being called a b****, which is obviously a hurtful thing to be called, it just doesn't exactly strike the same cord. And I feel as though you can take back calling someone the b-word and being angry at someone about their attitude, but you can never take back being cruel to someone about their race or blood status.

And I think it may have just been the breaking point for Lily. In DH during the Prince's Tale Lily says that she's been making excuses for him for years. She knew he was friends with people who saw no value for lower blood statuses, and she may have just been keeping hope that Severus still wasn't quite as low as they were but when he called her a Mudblood, it just kind of snapped.

Annie

Essence_of_Lily
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascendio View Post
    And I think it may have just been the breaking point for Lily. In DH during the Prince's Tale Lily says that she's been making excuses for him for years. She knew he was friends with people who saw no value for lower blood statuses, and she may have just been keeping hope that Severus still wasn't quite as low as they were but when he called her a Mudblood, it just kind of snapped.
    JKR said that Lily could've loved him if he didn't turn to the Dark Arts. I think she would've forgiven him if he didn't hang around the other Slytherins that much. Lily is pretty stubborn.

haven't read the other five pages of this, but I was just wondering: Does anyone else think Lily was a little hard on Snape when he called her the M-word? I mean, he was upset, he was HANGING UPSIDE DOWN, and he probably wasn't the most clear-headed person ever. And this is just me, but *my* very best friend has called me a b**** before now, and I

Anyone else?

Lily
    Maybe she was a little stubborn in not forgiving him. But being called the M-word and being called the B-word isn't exactly the same. I mean, he was insulting her blood! It's basically the same thing as being called the N-word. Does anyone think that Lily knew that he didn't mean to call her that, and it just slipped out? He was her friend! She should know that he didn't intentionally mean it. Maybe it's just me.

Does anyone think that Lily dated James just to get back at Snape? Then, she actually fell for him?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Does anyone think that Lily dated James just to get back at Snape? Then, she actually fell for him?

No, because if that was the case wouldn't she have gone out with James in fifth or sixth year? Why wait two years to exact revenge? I don't think she would demean herself like that, I mean, she clearly doesn't like James in SWM because of his arrogance and immaturity, she wouldn't feed his ego just to get her revenge.

I think she would've forgiven him if he didn't hang around the other Slytherins that much.
    I think it would take more than Snape ditching his friends. He'd have to prove to her that he'd not only renounced the part of him that was attracted to Dark magic and the like, but also stopped believing in it as well.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    I haven't read the other five pages of this, but I was just wondering: Does anyone else think Lily was a little hard on Snape when he called her the M-word? I mean, he was upset, he was HANGING UPSIDE DOWN, and he probably wasn't the most clear-headed person ever. And this is just me, but *my* very best friend has called me a b**** before now, and I'm obviously still friends with her. I get that Lily was a little hot-headed, but this just strikes me as weird.

Anyone else?
    I get what you mean, though I do get the sense that the M-word is a bit closer to the N-word than anything else.

So...

In our modern times, calling someone the N-word is practically inexcusable, just like I think Snape's "crime" would be in Post-Hogwarts era. But I think Snape calling Lily the M-word is a bit more like somebody calling someone a n***** in the 1950's-1960's, when that was - though still offensive, and not okay - a remarkably more common thing. And I agree that Lily might have done well to be a bit easier on someone who was hanging upside down at the time. I can't say it's unrealistic, but I agree that she probably shouldn't have gone off like a roman candle on him like that, especially given that he was threatening to sleep outside the Fat Lady's portrait he felt so bad. Though we don't know what else had been going on at the time, if that was more or less a lone offence aside from who his friends were, he probably deserved a second chance.
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Very random question:

Do we know what handed Lily was? Left, right, ambidextrous? I'm fairly sure in the movies, the actress was right handed, but I'm wondering about the books.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ