Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lily (Evans) Potter - Part II

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I'm still in favour of a charmed watch--maybe it could have a photo of the two of them on the face, which only James can see?
    Oh, not sure about the photo. It makes Lily sound a bit vain and/or rather too serious about the relationship. A watch is also quite expensive (and he probably got one when he turned 17) so unless you want the gift to really be about her declaring that she loves him, then I wouldn't make it quite so extravagant. Could she get him something Muggle-ish that he'd be really amused or fascinated by? That way, it's individual enough to be only the sort of thing she could have got him, and James would appreciate the present because it can only be from her.

Not sure what though ... (box of Muggle sweets? A board game like Monopoly? A Muggle pen/biro?)

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I like the idea of charmed Quidditch gloves. How about she charms them so that they stay together when not in use? Like you always lose one sock and not the other, so if the gloves are charmed to be together, you'll never lose one glove. They'll always be a pair. But this could have amusing implications when James loses both gloves...

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Enemies of the Heir, Beware...of the Petrified Cat!
    Sarah: True. But then, what is he going to do if he loses both gloves? Then he'd be in trouble...still, it's an idea. I may play around with it, although I'm still in favour of a charmed watch--maybe it could have a photo of the two of them on the face, which only James can see? Er...I'm not entirely sure, but something like that was what I was thinking. Even so, I don't see why Lily can't give both, unless I somehow use a bit of both. Thanks again!

~Soraya~

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Oh, not sure about the photo. It makes Lily sound a bit vain and/or rather too serious about the relationship. A watch is also quite expensive (and he probably got one when he turned 17) so unless you want the gift to really be about her declaring that she loves him, then I wouldn't make it quite so extravagant. Could she get him something Muggle-ish that he'd be really amused or fascinated by? That way, it's individual enough to be only the sort of thing she could have got him, and James would appreciate the present because it can only be from her.

Not sure what though ... (box of Muggle sweets? A board game like Monopoly? A Muggle pen/biro?)

~Carole~
    I really don't know. I suppose she could give him Muggle sweets but there's not much point in that. Ditto the biro. And they seem pretty Luna-ish. Monopoly could work if she charms it so the properties are streets in Hogsmeade, but I don't think it's a romantic enough gift if you know what I mean. As for the watch, that's that idea scrapped now you've pointed that out. She could get him a charmed money-bag/wallet, as this doesn't go too OTT but does show she cares. Maybe there could be a message inside it? Hmm...I'm playing with the idea, although I also do like Sarah's one of Quidditch gloves which are charmed, but maybe not in the way she said--maybe it could be adapting to the weather (keeping his hands cool in the summer and vice versa). That's still a bit on the weird side, though, isn't it? Too Luna-ish.

Sarah, Carole, thanks for the ideas. If anyone else has any I'd love to know...

~Soraya~

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

You mentioned the Muggle things not being incredibly romantic...

First of all, that always depends. Has James at any point mentioned that he's into board games? Does he complain about his ink always running out (then a Muggle biro would be a nice idea)?

Maybe he reads those comic books that wizard teenagers read, and Lily might get him a Muggle comic book.

Maybe he doesn't get how (xyz) works in the Muggle world, and Lily gets him one of them.

Those things that seem incredibly unromantic and trivial to a third party might be something very romantic between the two of them. If you sort of lead up to the present in your story – like, have James mention something in a half sentence a couple of chapters before his birthday, and then have Lily remember that when the time comes, that would, I think, show how much she knows him, and in fact be very romantic.

I also agree that Lily might be uncertain about big romantic gestures. [Or maybe they just don't need them...] I mean, what if she gets him something magnificent and James gets intimidated and turns away? What if she puts her heart into that present and he thinks it's ridiculous? Lily is a teenage girl at that point, she would worry about those things (I think?). I mean, look at what Lavender gave Ron for Christmas. That necklace – I bet she thought it was really romantic. Ron just didn't really see their relationship in the same way, and it made him embarrassed, and probably didn't help his overall feeling of .. uh... sudden boundary issues. Ron's best friend thought it was ridiculous – imagine what that'd do for James.

As has been stated before, it all depends on what she wants to express through the gift, and what she knows about him.

And another small note – I don't really see what you find "Luna-ish" about those things... oO Some of them are actually quite thoughtful. As to the gloves though, not sure James would wear any unless he's the Keeper.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Kara: Fair enough. I still think a biro would be a bit...insignificant. Maybe I could go with the whole Monopoly/Hogsmeade idea as I'm still playing with that in my head. And yes, Lily would be uncertain about romantic gestures considering the short amount of time her and James have been going out. As for why I think it's Luna-ish, erm...I reckon it sounds kind of quirky (nothing wrong with that though) and I somehow don't imagine Lily to be quirky; I think she's more down-to-earth so she'd give that sort of present? I don't know. I like the idea of something Muggle that James has always wondered about but I can't think of anything, because anything electronic wouldn't work, and that's the only thing I can think of (iPads, iPhones...maybe I'm just having an Apple craze )

Eliza: I see your point, and of course I know that iPads etc wouldn't exist back in those days. I was just saying that to prove a point, you know, that I can only think of electrical things for a gift that James wondered how it worked and all that. I'll see how things go, but I don't think pens and sweets are special enough; it would be something that you'd give a mate if you've came back from a trip to wherever, you know? And I suppose I was being a bit presumptuous by calling it Luna-ish, but maybe it's just because I've never heard of anyone giving a pen as a birthday present, hence why I deemed it quirky.

I still like the idea of something Muggle with a magical touch to it. I just can't think what

~Soraya~

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by babewithbrains
    Kara: Fair enough. I still think a biro would be a bit...insignificant. Maybe I could go with the whole Monopoly/Hogsmeade idea as I'm still playing with that in my head. And yes, Lily would be uncertain about romantic gestures considering the short amount of time her and James have been going out. As for why I think it's Luna-ish, erm...I reckon it sounds kind of quirky (nothing wrong with that though) and I somehow don't imagine Lily to be quirky; I think she's more down-to-earth so she'd give that sort of present? I don't know. I like the idea of something Muggle that James has always wondered about but I can't think of anything, because anything electronic wouldn't work, and that's the only thing I can think of (iPads, iPhones...maybe I'm just having an Apple craze )

Hmm, see I think gifts like sweets or pens are pretty much as down-to-earth as you can get. They're very common, and almost everyone likes them or has a use for them. I can understand what you're saying about them not being special enough, but I certainly don't think they're quirky or 'Luna-ish,' as you put it.

And I would also keep in mind the time period. Since they're at Hogwarts during the late seventies, things like iPads and iPhones aren't around, never mind whether they can work at Hogwarts.

Anyway, Karaley Dargen said pretty much everything I was thinking, so I won't go into that too much. As long as you make it an item that has personal significance between them, it doesn't matter how silly or mundane it might seem to an outsider.
    Eliza

Carole: You just gave me a brilliant idea! Lily could get him a pen which is engraved, a fountain pen (as opposed to a biro) and it won't seem too OTT while still seeming thoughtful. Thanks, thanks!!

~Soraya~

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hmm, okay, sweets aren't necessarily special (yet boxes of chocolates always do very well at Valentine's day ). I think that if Lily made an effort and bought many different types of sweets, wrapped them up in special paper, tied them with a red and gold ribbon and showed that she'd made an effort ... then that is what James would love.

Regarding a pen - I was actually thinking about a fic I wrote where the girl (a Muggle) sent her bf a biro because he complained that his Quill kept running out of ink and couldn;t write to her - so she sent him a box of biros. But, you can get really nice fountain pens - especially that era. It's possibly not very James-like but she could get it engraved. Again, it's the thought he'll appreciate. When I look back to the hat I had Lily knit him, James knew it looked rubbish. He had the other Marauders laughing at him because it was wonky, but he wore it because it was from her.

The point I'm trying to make about Muggle items is that James knows very little about them and could well be fascinated by them, so Lily could buy him an electric toothbrush - or a battery operated torch and he'd be marvelling at how it worked.

If they've only been going out two months, then I'm still unconvinced she;d buy something that special. She may think she loves him, but it's still early days. I think she'd be more likely to buy something fun.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird