Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily (Evans) Potter - Part II

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once

Lily (Evans) Potter - Part II

As I noticed the other thread was over the post count, I have started a new thread here for you to continue discussing Lily.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire at Dawn
    I’ve got a question. I don’t know if it’s been asked before (I did try and read all of this but it is sixteen pages long, I might have missed some things!), but I read a fic recently that had Lily as confiding in someone (when she had been drinking, admittedly) that she was slightly scared about how fast her relationship with James was progressing. I’ve gone over the dates, and everything does seem to happen incredibly fast. Do you think it's plausible that she would sometimes have doubts about the speed of their relationship? Or do you think that they would have both been keen for it to go at this pace, considering something Molly Weasley said in HBP about how ‘last time people were eloping left right and centre’? Do you think James, coming from an old and traditional Pureblood family, would sort of be *expected* to marry quickly, and would be more inclined to settle down early? (Sorry if this last part belongs in the James thread, but I think it still relates to Lily)
    Actually, I don't think their relatrionship progresses that quickly. Sure, they get married young and have their first kid when they're both twenty, but as they got together in seventh year (17-18) then that's not that hurried, she doesn't, for instance, get pregnant when still at Hogwarts. During year six when she was no longer friendly with Snape, Lily was probably thawing slightly in her attitude towards James.
    I do think that they got married quickly because of the war and a desperate need to live life to the full - rather than James' wish to do things 'properly'. His parents were elderly when they had him and you could go either way with this - the traditionalists who would want their son to marry well and early, or the parents who indulged their son and only wanted him to be happy.

Regarding Lily's ability to forgive. She does actually seem to be forgiving in childhood - she forgives Snape quite a few times when he's horrible to Petunia (although Petunia deserves it) and she seems to forgive Petunia's attitude towards her quite a few times (still in touch and sending Christmas presents etc). She says she's made excuses for Snape many times but the last time was one time too much. Perhaps if she'd given Snape an ultimatum - 'Death eaters or Me' then she would have forgiven him, but then giving Snape that ultimatum would have meant committing herself to him as a girlfriend and I don't think she wanted that - consciously or not.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

I'm writing a story during the Marauders last year and it takes place Sept. 31 - Oct. 31 and I was wondering what Jams and Lily's relationship would be like. Would they be friends or would they just get along enough to be Head Boy and Girl? Or could they still not stand each other? I don't want my story to be cliched, so any help would be great!
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

It would definitely (well, in my opinion) be clichéd to have them hate each other. Keep in mind that they got together at some point during the seventh year, and you don't go from "I hate you" to "Let's get married" in less then a year, at least not usually. You could have them work well together as Head Boy and Girl, but try not to use their positions there and the time they spend together as a means to get them together, because that is absolutely overdone.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Thanks, Kara. My story isn't a romance and they don't get together or anything. I'm just wondering how they will adress each other. Would it be okay for him to say "Hi," every once and awile and not have her over react?
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

Nez
    Yes, by that time they were surely friends already. It would be a perfectly normal situation if they ran into each other and said 'hi'. I don't think she ever made a fuss if James just said 'hi' every now and then.

type-n-shadow
    Originally posted by Sapphire at Dawn

But if she was able to forgive easily, how could she not forgive Snape when he called her a Mudblood? I believe that that incident must have been the last straw in a series of events that hinted to her that Severus was more inclined to the Dark Arts.
    I agree with you. I hold by my statement that she forgave easily, but she did not forgive James UNTIL he had changed. Naturally she couldn't forgive Severus Snape until he changed, which he never did - he only got worse. She was forced to acknowledge this and therefore let him go, knowing that any further relationship with him may have affected her own character for the worse.

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Helloo. I checked in the first thread for this question but didn't notice anything but I may have missed it and if I did, sorry.

I was wondering what Lily's friends names were. I vaguely remember something in OoTP about her friends and I think one of their names were Elizabeth but I couldn't be sure and I don't own the book (how sad is that!). Anyway, yeah, what were Lily's friends names?

Thanks

~ Annalise x

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    The only girl Lily mentions is Mary Macdonald. She's the girl Mulciber does something to and Snape thinks it was just 'a laugh'. Mary is also mentioned as the girl who tells Lily that Snape's outside the common room.

We don't have any other names of her frineds but I would strongly suggest you don't make all her friends future Order members (like Alice, Marlene and Emmeline) because although the Marauders were all Order members, it's a tad cliched to make all Lily's dorm mates become members as well.

Alice Longbottom, by the way, has to be at least a year older than Lily (and probably more) because when she's tortured she's an Auror (three years training) and has had a baby (add on another year). She has to be at least 22 when Bellatrix attacks her.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Vault713
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalise28
    Helloo. I checked in the first thread for this question but didn't notice anything but I may have missed it and if I did, sorry.

I was wondering what Lily's friends names were. I vaguely remember something in OoTP about her friends and I think one of their names were Elizabeth but I couldn't be sure and I don't own the book (how sad is that!). Anyway, yeah, what were Lily's friends names?

Thanks

~ Annalise x
    There is a whole thread under the Reference Desk under Marauders Era about Lily's friends if you want to know more