Thread: Dark Mark

leahsm2

Dark Mark

Obviously, when the Avadra Kedavra curse backfires and Voldemort is blasted out of his initial being, there would be some sort of effect on those branded with his mark. Because of the (I would assume) violence with which he is jolted from the corporal realm, what effect would it have on his followers? Do you think the marks simply "went out" or do you think there would be some level of pain, like Harry experiences from time to time with his scar?

Love4Magic
    As far as I know, there's nothing in canon that answers your question. But, as commen sense goes, I could probably take a stab.

We know that the Dark Mark never goes away. Once you get it, its there for life. I think it fades and grows stronger but never disappears for good. We know from GoF that Karkaroff's mark grows stronger just before Voldemort's return. He fears it and flees.

So we know the marks are strongly connected with Voldemort and his doings.

As for Harry's scar, it works in much the same way (although we know this for an entirely different reason).

Because of this connection, I'd say it's very likely that the DE's felt something when Voldemort fell. I believe it's Voldemort himself that says it was pain like never before. The Death Eaters' marks (I would imagine) must've burned or felt some sort of immense pain.

Hope I helped!

Inverarity
    There's nothing in canon to suggest that the Dark Mark gives the Death Eaters any kind of insight to Voldemort's condition. We know he can use it to contact/summon them, but that seems to be a voluntary act on his part.

One could use a bit of literary license in having the DEs "feel" it when Voldemort falls -- canon doesn't seem to explicitly contradict this possibility. But I'd be wary of using the Dark Mark as a device to give the DEs any more information about Voldemort, for two reasons:

1. Voldemort isn't going to give his followers something that lets them know what he's up to (let alone something that broadcasts to all of his followers that he's just been given a smack-down).

2. We know in canon that most of his Death Eaters didn't know when he'd returned, and some didn't believe it at first. Remember how angry Voldemort was about that in GoF. So that also suggests that the Dark Mark is a one-way connection.

leahsm2
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    1. Voldemort isn't going to give his followers something that lets them know what he's up to (let alone something that broadcasts to all of his followers that he's just been given a smack-down).

2. We know in canon that most of his Death Eaters didn't know when he'd returned, and some didn't believe it at first. Remember how angry Voldemort was about that in GoF. So that also suggests that the Dark Mark is a one-way connection.
    1. Since receiving a "smack-down" would not be in Voldemort's vocabulary, I wouldn't think he'd guard against it. He's maniacally convinced in his superiority after all.

2. The mark grew darker when he gained strength when he was returning.

His followers had to know something was wrong, I just wondered how dramatic the effect would be.