Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator- Part VI

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

None of the categories are working that I tried (Winter Tales, School Assignments, Monthly Challenge Submissions and Alternate Universe).
    The Monthly Challenge Submissions is permanently closed. We are now going to have individual categories for challenges, which will be emptied and deleted as challenges come and go. I opened all current challenge categories on Monday so they should work.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

GringottsVault711
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanine
    To anyone having trouble getting their drop down to refresh. If all else fails ignore the error message. The queue really is open and if you submit it won't bounce you. Someday your computer will refresh its drop down. Eventually.
    The issue with the "locked" categories has already been addressed, as explained above; all posts concerning that problem will be deleted.

Zara Ravenwood
    I have always wondered is there anyway we can see what number we are in the que? I think if I knew just how many people were ahead of me, I would not be on pins and pointy-things-with-eyes-I-can't-spell all week. I know you are all very busy, and looking threw each story takes time. I'm not asking you to hurry up; I just think it might help some of us deal with the agonizing wait better.

Eddit: I understand.

AurorGirl101
    I'm having trouble understanding something. Someone I beta for, had their chapter rejected because of a few things, example:

"Look, I can't help you," he started, "but I can find someone who can."

The sentence was interrupted, but if you put both things in quotation marks together, they make one sentence.

There doesn't need to be a comma after the description of who is talking if the next line of dialogue is not a continuation. For instance:

"Look, I can't help you," he said. "I simply can't."

See the difference? In the first instance, there was one sentence being interrupted; in the second instance, there were two sentences
    I don't quite understand which of the instances are right. I just want to make sure I can fix their problem without further rejections. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara Ravenwood
    I have always wondered is there anyway we can see what number we are in the que? I think if I knew just how many people were ahead of me, I would not be on pins and pointy-things-with-eyes-I-can't-spell all week. I know you are all very busy, and looking threw each story takes time. I'm not asking you to hurry up; I just think it might help some of us deal with the agonizing wait better.
    While you may not be one of those who'd badger us into modding faster, a lot of people probably will. I think as a group we'd considered having a thread up so people could know what dates we were on for each category or something like that, but we already have people rushing us without such a thread/function. I can't imagine what our inboxes would be like should that function fall in the wrong hands.

Aurorgirl101 - PM the moderator for clarification.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

I just realized something that quite shocked me.

The chapter order of my fic on MNFF is messed up. I have no idea how this happeed; it was normal last night before I went to sleep. But now, chapter two and one changed places. You'd understand how confusing a fic looks when the chapter order is messed, right?

How this could have happened?

EDIT: *gulp* I'm feeling extremely stupid now. Thanks Phoenix5225.
    The Run of the Mill

The phenomenal banner is by MissBean

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    kehribear - You can actually fix it yourself. When you log into your account, click on manage stories and then click on the offending story. When you see the list of chapters, there will be up and down arrows beside them. Simply click on these arrows to move your chapter back into the correct order.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

nikkiolapotter
    Are we allowed to write fanfic based on the plot in non- related HP movies? For instance, I was going to write one based on 'The Breakfast Club', but I wasn't sure if we're allowed to.

deanine
    nikkiola - We do not allow crossovers. That said, a fic that uses a plot is not necessarily a crossover. It would depend on how heavily you drew from the Breakfast Club and how the story was handled.

insideout orange
    Okay, I hope I'm posting this in the right place...
    Is there a thread here to ask people about knowledge not relating to the HP world? For example, I'm looking for someone who knows about psychology to help me out with my story. Is there some type of board for those kinds of questions?