Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: INDIAN Culture Help

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriti
    and Bhai Dhuj (that is what I call it atleast).
    Hmm... Kriti is right about Bhai Dhuj. But 'Bhau Beej' is the Marathi word for Bhai Dhuj. Both are the same, basically.

And one more thing: 'Bath' for Hindus means washing the hair. We apply oil on the hair and wash it well. In our custom, we do everything auspicious only after washing our hair well, because the hair is supposed to hold the largest amount of dirt. Diwali usually falls in mid October or early November. The schools give us a month's vacation during this time .
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    I got inspired for a fic about Padma and Parvati Patil. I conversed with BB a bit, but he thought it would be more helpful for me to ask my questions here:

I'm looking for some family names. From some Bollywood actors and actresses I know a few, but are they Marathi? Does it matter if they're not? What family names could I use? Also, a few more girls and boys names would be great, too.

And then I'd like to know what the following words are translated to in Marathi:

Sisters
    Mum
    Dad
    Grandma
    Grandpa
    cousin
    Uncle
    Aunt

How would Padma and Parvati greet their cousin (around the same age)? Their aunt and uncle? Their grandparents? Is there a difference?

Could someone also please explain what things are to be done and said in a death ceremony? What happens? What are people wearing? Who is coming?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Hey Bine!

Hehe, I'm living in a pure Marathi area right now... So I think I can help you over here.

I'm looking for some family names. From some Bollywood actors and actresses I know a few, but are they Marathi? Does it matter if they're not? What family names could I use? Also, a few more girls and boys names would be great, too.

As far as I'm aware, only few Bollywood actors are Maharashtrians. Like, Shreyas Talpade and Ritiesh Deshmukh are Marathi. Kapoor and Khan and Shetty are other castes. I have a LOT of Marathi classmates here. I'll give you some of their surnames. So, for family names:

Vaidya
    Navale (Nav- aaley)
    Kulkarni
    Keluskar
    Tendulkar
    Rajole (Ruh-zoh-ley)
    Moon (haha, yes. Moon)
    Potnis
    Bhonsle (Bhons-ley)
    Tawde (Taw-dey)
    Kadam

I hope these are enough.

Now first names. There aren't very typical first names for Maharashtrians. So the normal Hindi names are okay. Anyway:

Girls-
    Suparna
    Kusum
    Neha
    Surabhi
    Nisha
    Pragati

Boys-
    Mihir
    Saurabh
    Bhargav
    Sagar
    Prakash
    Yash

Then...
    Sisters: Bahin
    Mum: Aai
    Dad: Baba
    Grandma: Aji
    Grandpa: Aazoba
    cousin: There's no word for this.
    Uncle: Mama
    Aunt: Mami

Actually, for brothers and sisters, if the person is younger to you, he/she is referred to by name. If they are elder, sister is called 'Tai' or 'Didi', and brother is 'Dada' or 'Bhaiyya'.

Remember that Indians have a habit of calling unrelated, elder people also as 'didi' or 'bhaiyya'.

How would Padma and Parvati greet their cousin (around the same age)? Their aunt and uncle? Their grandparents? Is there a difference?

Cousin would be mostle greeted with a hug and 'Kasa kai' (How are you?). Aunt, Uncle, Grandpa and Grandma will be greeted with a 'Namastey'. Many people also touch the feet of their elders.

About the death, I don't have time to write it now . I'm hoping someone will reply to this after me.
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    *blows the dust off thread*

As one of my odd personality quirks, when I get writer's block, I study geography and try to figure out how it applies to the Harry Potter books. And now I have just started studying India, and I have a few ponderings I was hoping I could get help with.

I have started think about the wizarding schools (and I say schools because with a population over a billion, it just makes logical sense that there would be more than one), and I am trying to figure out if there are any numbers or sets culturally signifigant to India.

For example, in my imagination, I created twelve schools in China to coinside with the Chinese zodiac, and in America, I create four schools to stand for the four elements, just because it was part of a contest on the boards having to do with elements.

But anyway, can anyone think of anything that could apply to the number of schools in India?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!