Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lily Evans Friends

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Actually, I would say we do. I'm not sure if we can say 100% that Alice was - in Chapter Thirty of GoF, Crouch refers to Frank speficially as 'the Auror' but when he speaks of Alice he only says 'Frank Longbottom's wife'. However, in Chapter Twenty-Three of OotP Neville's grandmother describes them as such:

"They were Aurors, you know, and very well respected withing the Wizarding community. Highly gifted, the pair of them."
    They meaning both Alice and Frank, of course. That, I think, is stronger evidence that they were both Aurors than Crouch's failing to refer to Alice as one is evidence that she wasn't.

Even so ... I would avoid Alice simply because it has been done so much when, really, there is no canon evidence that they were friends at school, whereas with someone like Mary or Marlene, the evidence is a bit stronger. However, like someone mentioned, I think during their years with the Order, Lily and Alice would have been great friends. They would have been pregnant together, too, which sometimes brings women closer.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Since there really isn't a lot of evidence as to who Lily's friends were, I would say making up your own OCs would be your best bet. Marlene and Mary would probably be good ideas, but I wouldn't go with Alice Longbottom.

One very important piece of advice I would like to give would be to take great care in choosing names for your characters. The best place to start would be to check British census records for the year your character was born. That way it will make it sound authentic. Of course, if she has some pure-blood friends for old-blood families, by all means, don't be afraid to get a little creative with your names.

Just remember, consider the names carefully! J.K. seemed near obsessive about picking names in her books.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

greennotebook
    I think it's important to consider the complete lack of Lily's friends in the series when writing OCs (or minor characters) as her friends. While all sorts of people tell Harry "I knew your parents," only a few tell him they were friends with one or both of his parents. The fact, however, that the Marauders do specifically say that they were friends with James makes me think that if Lily had very good friends in school, they would have popped up somewhere to make similar claims.

We know Lily was friends with Severus Snape until the end of fifth year, we know she cried when Marlene McKinnon died, we know she signed a letter to Sirius "love," and we know she was close enough to Mary Macdonald to be concerned about how Snape treated her. However, that's about all we do know, despite the wealth of information known about James' best friends. I think it's safe to wager that Lily was well-liked, got along with many people.... and didn't have a truly close, best friend at Hogwarts after she and Snape had their falling out. It is a guess, but I feel it's a fairly educated guess. After all, a year or so later, she started dating James and (eventually) being friends with the Marauders. It isn't inconceivable to imagine she didn't have consistent group of best friends that James and Harry had.

AurorKeefy
    Just going back to Remus here, but I'd like to further distance him from Lily. I think a possible factor in people suggesting that they were friends stems from the movie - where Remus has a completely unneccesary scene talking about how kind Lily was to him. It's not canon. While I can't imagine Lily being actively unpleasant with Remus (beyond the Marauders as a whole), there is little to suggest that she and him were ever particularly close. If you read the conversations between Remus and Harry in the books, there are pages and pages about James, but Lily barely gets a look in. Indeed, when she is brought up, more often than not it seems to be Sirius who talks of her, not Lupin. Plus there is a brief moment at the tale end of PoA where Lupin states that Severus was "Jealous, I think, of James's[sic] talent on the Quidditch pitch". Lupin has no reason for Occlumency here, so I would assume he genuinely does not know why Severus detested James so. If he was a close friend of Lily's, they would undoubtedly have brushed over the subject, and Remus is bright enough to put two and two together, so I would assume this not to be the case.

Alice Longbottom was, as has been pointed out, older than Lily.

Quote Originally Posted by Greennotebook
    The fact, however, that the Marauders do specifically say that they were friends with James makes me think that if Lily had very good friends in school, they would have popped up somewhere to make similar claims.
    Quoted for emphasis. Excellent point.

leahsm2
    Quote Originally Posted by greennotebook
    I think it's important to consider the complete lack of Lily's friends in the series when writing OCs (or minor characters) as her friends. While all sorts of people tell Harry "I knew your parents," only a few tell him they were friends with one or both of his parents. The fact, however, that the Marauders do specifically say that they were friends with James makes me think that if Lily had very good friends in school, they would have popped up somewhere to make similar claims.
    Hmmm. . . I don't know. To me, the opportunities for Lily's close friends to materialize in Harry's time may not have been present so it doesn't completely convince me that she didn't have close friends. I personally didn't see her as dating either, until I came across
    I Am Lily by KASK for MWPP class. My point being that Lily being massively popular doesn't have to be a Mary Kate (sorry, I don't use the other term as I think it's too easy of an out in judging other people's work and bugs me no end how cliched the use of that term has become) tip off either. I think it's a valid choice, but probably not one I would make.