Thread: Ollivander

awokendreamer

Ollivander

Hi, I'm new here. (grumble... sorting hat won't reply to my 3 messages... grumble)

I'm wanting to write some thing on Ollivander. The thing is that I can't find anything on him. I found what's at the lexicon, but I want more.

How old is he?

Relatives?

Any canon on what happened to him after DH?

Any canon on what happened to him before SS?

Anything else you can think of.

I know that he chooses to only use Dragon Heartstring, Unicorn tail hair, and Phoenix tail feather.

anything else would be great.

late_stranger
    Ollivander is a very interesting character. He doesn't make many appearances, and when he does, he's very vague.

Before Sorcerer's Stone, not much is known about him, only that he has been working at least since 1938, when he sold Tom Riddle a wand. That would place his birth date at least in 1921, but probably earlier. In book 5, Griselda Marchbanks was working for at least 97 years (she examined Dumbledore in 1899), so we can assume Ollivander had been working long before 1938. He may even be older than Dumbledore, who lived 116 years. But since Nicholas Flamel needed the Philosopher's Stone in the first place, he probably wouldn't be about 200 or 250.

All in all, I would think he's somewhere between 100 and 175 by the end of DH, making his birth year somewhere in the mid- to late- 1800s.

I hope that was in someway helpful.

DracoGurlFurever
    As far as canon about what happened to Ollivander after DH, I think it would be reasonable to suppose that he set up shop again (I see no reason why he wouldn't) - he was tortured and forced to remain at Malfoy Manor, but he escaped from there, and we have evidence that he still made wands after that ordeal. If I remember correctly, he made a new wand for Luna after the big battle with Voldemort and sent it to her. Thus, it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to have Ollivander selling wands again after DH, I think.

hogwartsbookworm

Ollivander

Our favorite wandmaker has no thread? I am astonished!

Bine: He has. I merged your thread with the existing one.

His shop has written over the door, Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C.
    This suggests that it is a family trade/tradition. I assume his father taught him wandlore.

Does Ollivander have any children to pass on his knowledge to?
    It doesn't sound like it in DH when he gets shuffled from Shell Cottage to Auntie Muriel's.
    If he had any kids, wouldn't he have sent them word that he was alright? Or perhaps he does, but he doesn't want to endanger them by contacting them?

How old is Mr. Ollivander?
    He was still running the shop back when Voldy bought his wand.

Ollivander seems to eat, sleep, breathe, dream, think, and speak wand.
    What would he have been like when he was younger- at school? Was he so wand-obsessed then? Was he excited to become a wandmaker like his father and his father's father and so on up his family tree? Would he have had any friends? Might he have been at Hogwarts when Dumbledore was?

What house would he have been in?

He seems to have a fasination with power (a Slytherin sounding trait)- whether in good or bad hands- but has no desire to have it himself (a rather Gryffindor sounding trait). He cracked under torture, spilling his secrets all over the place to avoid the pain (a non-Gryffindor sounding trait). He is extremely knowledgable on all things wand, (Ravenclawish) but seems to know little outside of his field (i.e. when Harry stops questioning wandlore and asks if he knows about the Deathly Hallows Ollivander looks confused and asks, "is this still about wands?" or something similar).

Apparently he has an amazing memory, to not only remember so many little facts about wand lore, how to make a wand, and wand history but also to remember every wand he has ever sold, and apparently their owners, over his (we assume) expansive lifetime. This also sounds Ravenclaw-like. My guess is that he was in Ravenclaw. But who knows...

Curious... Very curious.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    This might be better off in research help, but honestly it relates to Ollivander too... and other people who do what he does.

Is he a wandmaker one word, or a wand maker, two words? Does JK ever use either term in the books?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls
    It's wandmaker, one word.
    Yeah, she used it, there's actually a chapter in DH that's called The Wandmaker

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hmm, in my copy of GOF (The Weighing of the Wands) it says :-

Harry had met Mr Ollivander before - he was the wand-maker from whom Harry had bought his own wand over three years ago in Diagon Alley.
    This is Bloomsbury paperback edition.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Hmm, in my copy of GOF (The Weighing of the Wands) it says :-

This is Bloomsbury paperback edition.

~Carole~
    That's weird, it says so in mine as well. But in the hard-cover version of DH it says wandmaker. Guess it could go either way, then.