Thread: Pensieve

Nez

Pensieve

Hey!

I was just wondering, how common do you think Pensieves are? Would they be very expensive and/or hard to come by?
    Are the memories 100% accurate and not at all subjective?
    If the person to whom the memory belongs was under influence of a drug or something like that, would it affect the memory?
    How far from where the person whose memory we're watching can we go? In HBP, Harry and Dumbledore weren't in the same room with Hokey for some time but could still witness what was going on in their room.
    Are there any other limitations and problems with Pensieves?

psijupiter
    I was just wondering, how common do you think Pensieves are? Would they be very expensive and/or hard to come by?
    I think pensives are quite rare. I can't remember, but do we only see ever see Dumbledores pensive? It seems to be quite difficult magic, to allow someone to go inside a memory, so I would suppose they are very rare.

From what we see, they appear to be completely accurate. During HBP Dumbledore never doubts the accuracy of the memories he's collected, except for Slughorns which has been obviously altered. But Dumbledore may simply have other reasons to be confident about the accuracy of the memory, or he may simply think they are accurate enough for his purposes.

If the person to whom the memory belongs was under influence of a drug or something like that, would it affect the memory?
    I would guess that some drugs or other substances would prevent a person from 'recording' the memory properly in their mind, (like when you wake up the next morning without knowing what you have done the night before!) so when someone tries to view the memory it will be damaged or missing.

How far from where the person whose memory we're watching can we go? In HBP, Harry and Dumbledore weren't in the same room with Hokey for some time but could still witness what was going on in their room.
    I would guess the further away from the person whose memory it is, the more subjective the memory becomes, because it's being built by presumptions and other memories of that person. So, if you were viewing a memory of, for example, Harry sitting in his room in Privet Drive, you could go downstairs or outside, but at that point you are only viewing what Harry thought was happening outside his own viewpoint. So he might have a fair idea that he could hear Vernon is stomping up the stairs, so you'd be able to see that and it would be reasonably accurate, but if you went outside and saw an empty street, you wouldn't know if Harry knew the street was empty, or if someone had walked down the street and he didn't know about it, so they weren't in his memory. If that makes sense?

MorganRay

I would agree that they are quite rare. Maybe they have to be made out of a special material. In all probability, special magic probably has to be used to make the bowl into a Pensieve.

You can tamper with memories, so in that instance, they aren't accurate. However, in other cases, they aren't subjective.

I think it might. If you blackout and can't remember something, it definitely affects what happens. Morfin can't remember anything around the murder of the Riddles because of Voldemort's spell.

How far from where the person whose memory we're watching can we go? Are there any other limitations and problems with Pensieves?

In OotP, Harry *has* to follow Snape, and he can't go and watch his dad. I think you would have to be around the subject you're watching for most of the time.