Thread: Dark Mark

Hybrid View

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Dark Mark

When Voldemort summons the Death Eaters and their Mark burns, do they automatically go to where Voldemort is or do they have to Apparate there on their own?

I would think that they end up where Voldemort is right away, but I'm still not sure.
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by ron lover
    When Voldemort summons the Death Eaters and their Mark burns, do they automatically go to where Voldemort is or do they have to Apparate there on their own?

I would think that they end up where Voldemort is right away, but I'm still not sure.
    The Death Eaters Apparate on their own. Remember, Karkaroff fled when he felt his Mark burn, and also in GoF, Severus Snape answered his summons after a delay of a few hours, abiding by Dumbledore's orders.

A proper Death Eater has to arrive at Voldemort's side as soon as his (or her) Mark burns, but the Dark Mark doesn't teleport people. They have to go on their own.

Tim the Enchanter

greennotebook
    They would have to Apparate on their own, I'd think. Death Eaters can choose whether or not to return. In the GoF graveyard scene, a few DEs don't show. Snape chooses when he wants to return and Karkaroff runs away. If the summons automatically transported the DEs, Snape and Karkaroff couldn't have done that.

Edit: apparently, Tim beat me to the punch.

A.H.
    I don't think they would automatically appear there. DEs like Lucius and Severus who were figures in the Wizarding society, couldn't afford to *poof* from a room at any given moment.

Examples I can think of are in GoF: Neither Severus or Kakoroff went to the graveyard when the Dark Mark burned, Snape to remain under cover and Kakoroff to flee. There were also several other DE's who tried to run when Voldy came back, so they weren't forced by the Mark to go anywhere.

That's not overly helpful, but I'm sure other folks have better examples/theories.

Edit: Heh, Greenie was a moment ahead of me. xD

Dinx_Skylarx
    If you read the book and not watched the film, you will see Tom and Harry have a nice long chat before the DE's arrive.

The film spoils it by making them appear straight away, i hate the films!

Nez
    Here, those are all perfect answers I think they don't actually need to know where he is to apparate straight to him; maybe kind of like it was with Ron and the deluminator; he had to Apparate himself, but the ball of light guided him to where he was going.

Momo Wellish
    The DEs have to Apparate on their own, as many of you have mentioned in your posts about GoF, but also if they all were summoned to where Voldster was, then all of the DEs in Azkaban would have escaped the night Voldyshorts returned. Besides that, Voldy probably had at least 50 DEs that survived the first war and were roaming free at the time of his return, thus very few returned to him that night.

Dinx_Skylarx
    Besides that, Voldy probably had at least 50 DEs that survived the first war and were roaming free at the time of his return, thus very few returned to him that night.
    I think that was quite an exajuration, i don't think the first war was as big as the second, it wasn't even classed as a war, the only war we know of that is definately a war, is the Dubledore vs Grinelward.
    So i'd estimate Tom would have around 20 or so DE's at the GoF graveyard scene, he only started gaining more and more when he returned. And we have to remember, he told us the names and who was missing, if there where more, Tom would have said.
    maybe kind of like it was with Ron and the deluminator; he had to Apparate himself, but the ball of light guided him to where he was going.
    The deluminator was given to Ron by Dumbledore and is therefore good magic, if the DE's had something like that, the ball of light would appear whenever Tom calls them, what if they are in the ministry??
    I think that the DE's get a feeling of where he is, maybe the Dark Mark gives them a sign, or it guides them?