Thread: Head Boys & Girls

twilightHPgirl18

Head Boys & Girls

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I have a few questions regarding the duties of Head Boys and Girls at Hogwarts.

1.) Is it a canon fact that there is a specific dorm for only Heads, or is that just a fanon idea set up to make it easier for Lily to get to know James better?

2.) What are the specific duties of Heads? I know that they patrol the corridors, but wouldn't that just make them prefects? What gives them a special title?

And a few questions regarding the Heads themselves.

3.) Do we know who the Head Boy and Girl were for Harry, Ron, and Hermione's seventh year (the one after the final battle)? I've heard that it was Draco and Hermione, but I think that is just a fanon idea because Draco already had his seventh year.

4.) How does the headmaster/headmistress go about choosing a Head? It could be he chooses the prefects and then looks for the most responsible of those, but James was never a prefect so that idea can't be right.

Any ideas?

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    1.) Is it a canon fact that there is a specific dorm for only Heads, or is that just a fanon idea set up to make it easier for Lily to get to know James better?
    No, no, NO! Please do not do this! Not only is there no canon evidence to back this up, but the idea has become a complete cliche! Besides, I don't feel that Percy would have let such an important detail slip once he got his Head Boy badge.

2.) What are the specific duties of Heads? I know that they patrol the corridors, but wouldn't that just make them prefects? What gives them a special title?
    I think that it makes them the Head prefects. They would organize meetings with the other prefects, be in charge of scheaduels. Mostly, I think it's just a title. Although they do have the power to take away small amounts of house points.

3.) Do we know who the Head Boy and Girl were for Harry, Ron, and Hermione's seventh year (the one after the final battle)? I've heard that it was Draco and Hermione, but I think that is just a fanon idea because Draco already had his seventh year.
    I don't know who was the Head Boy and Girl while the Trio was away, though I think it would have been Draco and Pansy, given the atmosphere at Hogwarts in the second year.

Hermione did go back to Hogwarts to finish her last year, and she might have been made Head Girl, but Draco would have already graduated. The Head Boy would have likely been one of the sixth-years from the year before.

4.) How does the headmaster/headmistress go about choosing a Head? It could be he chooses the prefects and then looks for the most responsible of those, but James was never a prefect so that idea can't be right.
    I think they mainly just choose a good student who they think the student body would respect. And yes, James was never a prefect, but he was intelligent and popular, and Dumbledore might have seen him as having good leadership qualities.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

LucillaJoanna
    The Head student seems to stay in his/her House dormitories. See POA. "I certainly didn't authorise this, Professor!"

As to duties, you would do best to ask in the Being British thread... their boarding schools have head students and prefects.

I agree with OliveOil_Med that Pansy and Draco might have been Heads during Snape's short stint as Headmaster... or why not another Slytherin girl? Like maybe Daphne Greengrass?

During Hermione's return to school, it makes sense that the Head students would be picked from the 'genuine' Seventh Years. That is to say, Hermione and any of her contemporaries who are returning to school are no longer eligible, their war exploits notwithstanding.

Yes, prefectcy is not a requirement for Headship eligibility. Perhaps they look at magical ability instead. It will certainly be necessary, as we have seen from what Dumbledore tasked Percy to do in POA. Hogwarts head students are called for to lead and protect students... As for charisma, well, Percy didn't exactly have any, did he?

sorrow_of_severus
    Personally, I think something as significant as another dormitory, albeit one for only two people, would have come up in the books. Anyways, what is the logic for such a thing? Putting two hormone-crazed teenagers in the same small space without any supervisions sounds stupid, even today, and Hogwarts has been around since the Middle Ages. A thousand years ago, society's views on sex were a little less lenient, to say the least. Remember, this is the same school where the stairs to the girls' dormitories turn into slides if boys try to climb them.

As for the duties of Head Boy and Girl, I'm really not sure what they are. Generally, in fanfiction (), they're portrayed as organizing/helping to organize patrols. If I remember correctly from PoA, Percy seemed to be more in the know about the Sirius Black situation than other students. Finally, being Head Boy or Girl is an honor, and something that probably looks quite good when they apply for a job.

psijupiter

Just to add to what others have said: the head boy/girl in many schools would be required to represent the school at various events, so would have to be good at public speaking. I don't know how this might apply to Hogwarts, as they don't seem to have much contact with the outside world. We had Head Prefects, instead of a Head Boy and Girl, and I had to give speeches to prospective parents and pupils and give tours of the school, organise the duties of the other prefects, (and make sure they were doing them!) and attend various local events, such as Remembrance Day occasions.

I imagine that the Head Boy and Girl are usually prefects, but not always. I tend to think that James Potter was more of an exception, because he grew up alot between his fifth and seventh years and proved himself.

twilightHPgirl18
    Thank you, all of you! This has definitely helped me make my MWPP-era fic more believeable!

{BeccA}

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Besides, I have always held the assertion that the Head Boy and Girl having their own rooms was just plain idiotic on the parts of the teachers. Just because they are considered 'exemplary' students does not mean they don't have hormones like every other teenager in the world.

And if two teenagers are given the chance to...have fun, it is pretty predictable that they are going to take it!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightHPgirl18
    I agree with the other posters, this is a preposterous idea. Iíve read at least one fanfic where they even share a shower! Thatís never going to happen! The only thing we really know about the dorm arrangements is that the girls can enter the boys dorms, but the boys canít enter the girls. Thereís no reason to assume that the head boy and head girl arenít still in their dorm with their fellow pupils.

Itís not just public schools which have head boys and girls, many state schools have them, too. In some, they are elected by the sixth formers themselves (thatís the students in their sixth and seventh years, those taking their A-levels Ė the real world equivalent of NEWTS). They are often in charge of organising student social events like a Christmas party.

We donít know. Draco shouldn't be back, although none of the seventh years in the DH year can have taken their exams as the battle was a few weeks before the exams, they will be finished, or amost finished, their courses. If McGonagall is head I can't see her making Draco Head boy, even if you can come up with a reason for him to resit the year. My personal choice would be Hermione and Justin Fitch-Fletchley (who, as another Muggle-born, must have missed his seventh year). No real reason, except making both Muggle-borns would be a public acknowledgement of the new regime.

It could be one of many systems. A few ideas:

The students could put nominations to the Headmistress.

There could be interviews of all prospective seventh year students at the end of sixth year.

The heads of house could each nominate one boy and one girl student from their house.

It could be the Headmaster/mistress alone who decides, it could be Head plus the heads of house, it could be all teachers.

Itís unlikely to be by popular vote of the students. That might explain James, but I canít see it explaining Percy.

N

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

MorganRay

hmm

This has been answered with a resounding 'no.'

As mentioned above, the Heads would be the 'top' prefects. They probably organize when the prefects patrol the corridors; the Heads would probably also deal with any problems among the prefects or bad behavior by one prefect. They might get their own study room . . . kind of like seniors in certain under grad programs get their own cubicle or space to work on a senior thesis.

Yeah, Draco and the rest of Harry's seventh year classmates are gone after the War. I always thought Harry, Ron, and Hermione might also decide to not go back to Hogwarts and just continue onto further education. After saving the world, they might be entitled to skip a year of school. I can actually see Harry and Ron wanting to go straight into being Aurors, and training for four years, to make up for their lost NEWT year, instead of the normal three years it takes to become an Auror. Anyway, Draco/another Slytherin girl makes sense for Head Boy/Head Girl. Ginny might be a canidate for Head girl during the first post-War year.

I would say the Headmaster either choses, or they talk to the Heads of the Houses and then choose. I always thought it would be the Headmaster/mistress who would ultimately make that decision, though.