Thread: Godric's Hollow

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Godric's Hollow

Did James and Lily live there before Peter became their Secret Keeper? I think they did but couldn't one of their friends told someone that they lived there before? Or did they already preform the spell like a year before they died but chose the Secret Keeper a week before they died?

Could James leave the house in October before they died to get food or something like that? Or did they have to stay within their property all the times?

I'm really confused with this so if someone could explain this to me, that would be great. I need it for my story .

TheCursedQuill
    James and Lily were living in Godrics Hollow for a couple of months before their death.

AS soon as Dumbledore heard the prophecy, he put them into hiding in Godrics Hollow and placed the Fidelius Charm over the house with Sirius Black as their keeper.

They switched because Sirius saw Peter as someone no one would think would be Secret Keeper. Sirius was the obvious choice so they switched a week before their death to Peter who ended up being a spy.

If James needed to get out of the house he would probably use his Invisibility Cloak. He was a part of the Order after all, and might have had to do some missions within the months he was staying in Godrics Hollow, so he would have had to leave sometimes.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but no one knew that they had switched Secret Keepers except for James Lily and Sirius. They didn't even tell Dumbledore that Peter was their SK.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    They could easily have lived there before Peter became Secret Keeper, and I'm fairly sure they did, because Lily tells Sirius they had Harry's party at home and Bathilda Bagshot was a guest.

It wouldn't matter if Sirius, Remus and Co knew where the Potters were, they couldn't tell anyone and that was the main point about the Fidelius Charm.

Flitwick says that Voldemort could have pressed his nose up against the window of the cottage and not been able to discover them unless he's told by the Secret Keeper that they live there.

I'm sure James could leave the house but he wouldn't have been safe. Voldemort would have been able to capture James if he left the confines of the house. That's why James is so restless without his Invisibility Cloak. If he'd had that, then he would have gone on excursions.

Hope that helps.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Thanks, they did help. I have another question.

My story takes place two days before they die and James shouldn't have the Cloak because Dumbledor would have it. Would he still go into town and get food? Or would he wait until Dumbledor gave his cloak back? Could he put a Dissalusionment (I don't know how to spell that) Charm on himself to go get somwthing?

iamlordvoldemort
    Quote Originally Posted by ron lover
    Thanks, they did help. I have another question.

My story takes place two days before they die and James shouldn't have the Cloak because Dumbledor would have it. Would he still go into town and get food? Or would he wait until Dumbledor gave his cloak back? Could he put a Dissalusionment (I don't know how to spell that) Charm on himself to go get somwthing?
    I don't think James would have bothered waiting for Dumbledore to give the cloak back, especially if it meant not getting food to Lily and little baby Harry. He was definitely talented enough to cast a Disillusionment Charm on himself, but it is kind of hard to go shopping while invisible. Being a Gryffindor, he wouldn't have shrank away from the challenge. I would say that you should have him wanting to go out but Lily (being more sensible) trying to convince him to stay.

/my one cent (not two cents - it was a pretty short post )

~Anna~

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    For the previous question, I agree with Carole mostly. Godric's Hollow was a hiding place for them. The Fidelius was only cast a week or so before their deaths, perhaps this when they realised the threat had increased ten-folds.

Would he still go into town and get food? Or would he wait until Dumbledor gave his cloak back? Could he put a Dissalusionment (I don't know how to spell that) Charm on himself to go get somwthing?
    Unless you are assuming that DEs found out where they were hiding prior to Halloween and therefore, they went under a Fidelius Charm, I think it'd be okay to have James simply go out for food. I read somewhere (not a fanfiction ) that they lived since after the prophecy in Godric's Hollow as Muggles, you know blending in like all the other wizarding families there.

I like to think that he'd visit the Godric's Hollow pub often also. Show him being more cautious if you like. But even after the restlessness Lily mentions, I doubt he'd not go out if they needed something.

Hope that helps.

-Akay-

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

lupins_girl2006
    In response to the question about James: Couldn't he easily just have changed his appearance so no one knew he was James Potter? I mean, he had a wand and passed school. He must have had some knowledge about transfiguration. Wasn't that suppose to be his strongest subject?

As for the discussion on Godric's Hollow. To change a secret keeper, does the person who performed the spell have to change the keeper too? And if that's the case, who performed the original spell? If it was Dumbledore, then how would he not have known the secret keeper was Peter? I know Lily and James were powerful, but were they powerfuly enough to perform such a complex spell?

~Allieatrix