Thread: Cruciatus Curse

Hybrid View

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Cruciatus Curse

Can you fight against the Cruciatus Curse like you can with the Imperius Curse, or do you just have to wait for the person to stop casting it.

Do you think Regulus would've already called someone a Mudblood by his sixth year? I'm sure he does, but I want to know what you think.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by ron lover
    Can you fight against the Cruciatus Curse like you can with the Imperius Curse, or do you just have to wait for the person to stop casting it.

Do you think Regulus would've already called someone a Mudblood by his sixth year? I'm sure he does, but I want to know what you think.
    I don't think you can fight the Cruciatus Curse, since it inflicts pain, rather than plays with your brain. The only resistance I could think of would to have high tolerances for pain, but that's about it. In short, you'll just have to suffer until the caster lifts the curse.

Concerning Regulus, I'm quite sure he would have called Muggle-borns "Mudbloods" long before he even attended Hogwarts. He would have grown up using the word.

Tim the Enchanter

TheCursedQuill
    The Cruciatus Curse cannot be resisted. Someone would just have to endure the pain until the other lifts it.

The only resistance I could think of would to have high tolerances for pain, but that's about it.
    I agree with this, but also think that there are some circumstances. In OotP we see how Harry tries to use Crucio on Bellatrix and fails. He only causes a very small amount of pain because he does not actually want to inflict pain. Becuase of this, I believe that the Crucio curse could have different levels depending on who is casting it. For someone to have Crucio pulled on them by Voldemort, well I don't think there is any amount of tolerance to endure that kind of pain. If it was some other DE or something, it might be less painful and little more easy to endure, but extremely painful none the less.

As for Regulus, I'm sure he would be using the word Mudblood since birth. His parents were obviously against muggles and would most likely use the word freely within their home.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I have a strange thought - how resistant to the Cruciatus Curse would sadists be? For instance, would someone like Bellatrix feel less pain from the curse than a normal person? How about masochists?

Tim the Enchanter

Lovemagic
    I think Regulus would have started using the term 'Mudblood' since he started to talk. He was raised in the House of Black, and maybe along with crazy people like Bellatrix and also, don't forget Walburga Black!

Regulus was raised to think this way, and still believed in this when he joined the Death Eaters. But he started to regret what he had done, and wasn't ready for the daily lifestyle as a Death Eater. He only saw Voldemort's ideas as the rest of the wizarding world saw them at the time, and never knew what he was getting into. So he died for betraying the Dark Lord.

Hope that helped,
    Hayden

MorganRay

ponders

Posted by Tim
    I have a strange thought - how resistant to the Cruciatus Curse would sadists be? For instance, would someone like Bellatrix feel less pain from the curse than a normal person? How about masochists?
    I think maybe, if you fight the pain, it would get worse. However, if you enjoy the pain, or give into it, maybe you go crazy. Bella is certainly crazy, so maybe that is a sign of her giving into or enjoying her pain.

I'm also specifically thinking of the Longbottoms, too. Maybe they went crazy because they fought the pain, and that drove them crazy, or maybe they went crazy because they finally gave into the pain and lost themselve to it. Just some random ponderings.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

If you specifically want someone to not feel the Cruciatus Curse, there's something called "CIPA", which is an inherited disorder that prevents you from feeling heat, cold or pain. If you want to know more about it, just google "CIPA" or "Congenital Insensitivity to Pain". However, it's a really horrible disability which would affect the whole personality and background of your character a lot – lots of children with CIPA don't even make it to puberty, because they just get hurt badly or something.

If you would want to include that in your story, I'm sure it would be very interesting (a wizard's child might be in less danger because it can be healed more easily etc), but probably it would be a lot of effort, and I doubt that's what you're looking for... I just thought I'd throw the idea in.

To answer your actual question, no, I'm sure you can't fight it, but you can for example discourage your enemy so that they lose their "will" to hurt you and that the Cruciatus Curse then in fact hurts you less. On the topic of masochism, I agree with the others that a) they might enjoy it, and b) it might drive them mad.

I can even see a masochist crucio-ing themselves. *shudders* That would certainly lead to a circle of pain and delight that is bound to drive one mad in the end.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey