Thread: Battle of Hogwarts Aftermath

MorganRay

Battle of Hogwarts Aftermath

I had a couple of questions concerning the state of life directly after the battle of Hogwarts. Do you think it's possible some of the DEs could have escaped in the chaos? I think some of the more 'major' ones would be definitely rounded up, but Voldemort brought a lot of supporters to the castle. In addition, I belive it's mentioned in one of Rowling's interviews that Harry, Ron, and Neville go out to hunt down more DEs later.

Anyway, do you think that there would have needed to be a battle at the Ministry? Do you think this could have happened in conjuction with the battle of Hogwarts or after the Battle at Hogwarts?

Also, general thoughts and feedback on what happens in the several days and weeks after the battle.

greennotebook
    I suppose a couple of the lesser-known (and frankly, less-threatening) DEs could have sneaked off somewhere after the Battle of Hogwarts. When you think of the Nazi war criminals who keep being found in South America even today, it's very feasible to see some opportunities for escape in the magical world as well.

However, I think the escapees would have been poorly organized and not the best of the best. There certainly wouldn't have been at battle at the Ministry. Who would be there to fight it? The Minister of Magic himself was at Hogwarts (Percy turns him into some sort of sea urchin right before Fred dies), so it's safe to say that the Ministry was not being actively watched by Voldemort's supporters during the Battle at Hogwarts. I doubt anyone high enough in Ministry ranks to make a fuss would have avoided notice at the Battle. This leaves the Ministry in the hands of the Order and the run-of-the-mill witches and wizards who just wanted to keep going to work. No battle necessary.

I see the days immediately after the battle devoted to assessing the damage: deaths, injuries, imperioused people, property damage, etc. Also, some new plans of action would need to be formed: government, clean-up, reintegration of witches & wizards on the run, etc. There would be some searching for DEs who ran away, but the Ministry and the Order would need to figure out who they were first. I imagine the remains of the Auror office starting right away, but I can't see Harry and the gang joining in until a few weeks after the battle.

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

I think that some of the lesser known Death Eaters ran away. They couldn't have killed every single one of them without someone being a coward and running away. Voldemort would have to have a fair amount of Death Eaters to attack the school and all of the Death Eaters wouldn't stay if they were loseing. Not all of them are that nobel. The Death Eaters who weren't that important are probably just there because they were forced into it or to say that they are a Death Eater.

Once the battle ended, they probably left and went back to their normal lives without anyone knowing any different. Some of them are probably stupid and they would get themselves caught in the end because they didn't hide very well.

One or two of the important Death Eaters probably got away once they found out that Voldemort died. I don't think that any one of them would stay after he fell. It's totally possible that some Death Eater got away.

After the battle, I think that the Weasleys would be sad for the loss of their family member and Harry would feel like all of the death that happened was his fault. Someone would get him out of that at some point. Lots of people would stay to help clean up the castle because it's home to some of them. The Order would try to get everyone that they didn't get and the good people at the Ministry would try to get that running again. These are all just my opinions, but some of it may be right.

I hope that helped you in some way

Alyssa

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganRay
    I had a couple of questions concerning the state of life directly after the battle of Hogwarts. Do you think it's possible some of the DEs could have escaped in the chaos? I think some of the more 'major' ones would be definitely rounded up, but Voldemort brought a lot of supporters to the castle. In addition, I belive it's mentioned in one of Rowling's interviews that Harry, Ron, and Neville go out to hunt down more DEs later.

Anyway, do you think that there would have needed to be a battle at the Ministry? Do you think this could have happened in conjuction with the battle of Hogwarts or after the Battle at Hogwarts?

Also, general thoughts and feedback on what happens in the several days and weeks after the battle.
    As all of Voldemort's most trusted Death Eaters were present at the Battle, I would imagine they would have a hard time escaping after Voldy himself died. Remember, they are stuck in the middle of the castle, and surrounded by hostile good guys. But then again, all of our protagonists could be too busy celebrating Voldy's defeat to notice some DE's slipping out. However, I find this unlikely.

That said, most if not all of the big name Death Eaters would have been killed or captured, since they had entered the hornet's nest by Voldemort's side. However, we have no idea how many minor Death Eaters there were, or where they fought, so it is more likely that many of these minor, nameless Death Eaters fled or simply diffused into the population. It would be very easy for them to say they were Imperiused and had no choice on the matter, and could likely get off.

All in all, the post-WWII Nazi situation works well. Some ran away, while those who stayed pointed fingers and denied any real involvement. Therefore, I don't see any second DE Battle, since there would be nobody to organise things, and all of the surviving DE's would probably be more concerned about saving their own skins.

Tim the Enchanter

MorganRay
    As all of Voldemort's most trusted Death Eaters were present at the Battle, I would imagine they would have a hard time escaping after Voldy himself died. Remember, they are stuck in the middle of the castle, and surrounded by hostile good guys.
    Oh, yes, I definitely agree. The really loyal followers went down in the Great Hall when Voldemort fell. It seems rather clear to me that these DEs didn't get away easily.

All in all, the post-WWII Nazi situation works well. Some ran away, while those who stayed pointed fingers and denied any real involvement. Therefore, I don't see any second DE Battle, since there would be nobody to organise things, and all of the surviving DE's would probably be more concerned about saving their own skins.
    I suppose a couple of the lesser-known (and frankly, less-threatening) DEs could have sneaked off somewhere after the Battle of Hogwarts. When you think of the Nazi war criminals who keep being found in South America even today, it's very feasible to see some opportunities for escape in the magical world as well.
    I agree with the Nazi Post-WWII analogy. I thought that maybe some of them could have left via Hogsmeade or even via the Vanishing Cabinet (for those who knew how it worked . . . ). I would think that there would still have been people inside the Ministry. My mind cannot recall if Umbridge was at Hogwarts, but if she wasn't, there still would be people like her at the Ministry. I don't think there would be huge, all out battle, but maybe Shacklebolt sent some trusted Aurors into the Ministry to make sure people like Umbridge were contained and couldn't run away. I do remember reading that Umbridge got arrested shortly after the battle at the end of DH and was tried for crimes against Muggle borns. I also personally think that there would be a lot of cases concerning the Imperius curse that would need to be brought to trial because, as mentioned, everyone would probably deny having been *really* involved in Voldemort's reign.

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Hmmm....I think the everyone who had the chance and wan't one of the most loyal DEs wouldrobably flee, at hogwarts and the Ministry. And then either the Aurors woould try and find each one of them, to make sure it would never repeat itself, or they just let them be and worried about other things..... they might let the not so threatening DEs escape..... I'm not sure.... And I agree that Harry would feel it was his fault, although everyone would try and tell him it wasn't, that he was the hero.... bla bla bla..... oh, and even if the days after the battle were sad, I think a lot of people would also be partying, since Voldemort fell. Okay, sorry that that wasn't in the least helpfull!
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

greennotebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganRay
    I would think that there would still have been people inside the Ministry. My mind cannot recall if Umbridge was at Hogwarts, but if she wasn't, there still would be people like her at the Ministry. I don't think there would be huge, all out battle, but maybe Shacklebolt sent some trusted Aurors into the Ministry to make sure people like Umbridge were contained and couldn't run away. I do remember reading that Umbridge got arrested shortly after the battle at the end of DH and was tried for crimes against Muggle borns.
    Honestly, while I do see people like Umbridge still being involved with the Ministry, I can't say I see too many being charged (Also, they wouldn't be camped out there, waiting to be found). Umbridge may have been made into an example because of how antagonistic she was, and how effective. For the most part, though, I think those people will slip through the cracks. The new administration will have bigger fish to fry. Hunting down every last minor Ministry worker who bullied Muggleborns would require too many resources that could be used in other ways.

Also, in regards to the Vanishing Cabinet, there's no way anyone would sneak out using it. I'm almost positive it would have been destroyed in the Fiendfyre disaster in the Room of Requirement, yeah?

Dinx_Skylarx
    I see the scene after the fall of Voldemort would be filled with cheering and yada yada, people will realise they are cheering and a load of dead people are led in the great hall...
    I also see Neville getting a lot of attention since he is such a bad ass!!
    The DE don't need to slip out through cabinets or secret passages or whatnot, the charms to stop people apparating in Hogwarts has been disabled, they could just disapparate.
    And, yes, Harry would blame himself, maybe he would have a bit of a deppresion stage, but as we know he is happily married later on, so Ginny must of gotten him out of it somehow.
    Let's just say, a 17 year old kid who just defeated the most powerful wizard [except me] of all time isn't going to stay a virgin very long...
    And the D.A. would probably become a massive organisation, with Harry as it's leader.

Sorry for rabbling on there, just have a lot of ideas.

ginnygirl16
    Hello!

Well, having written a days after the battle story, I do have my own beliefs of what happened, same as everyone else.

I think the important thing is to keep it original, find your own ways to make people cope with grief. One of my biggest pet-peeves is reading a Ginny/HArry or Ron/Hermione romance so close after the battle. I mean, Fred, Tonks, Remus were all killed and that would have taken a while to get over the grief. I can imagine them hugging, crying into each others shoulders and comforting each other, but no passionate moments PLEASE!!!

I think what the important thing to do is keep the scenes solemn, but with some light moments. If you want to read a couple well done scenes after the battle, check out 'Aftermath' by cjbaggins, or (some self-advertising here) Harry Potter: The Following Year by moi. Actually, mine takes place over a series of chapters so if you want a quick read, cj is your gal.

Anyways, to answer a couple of your questions:

Remember that at the end of the battle, Bellatrix is the only one fighting with Voldemort. (I'll have to find a page for you). So, it is unlikely that many of the ones still living would be sticking around long. They obviously realized they were going to lose and took off. The one Death Eater still there is our dear friend Lucius and his family. I believe because of the families (mainly Narcissa's) final actions, and the fact that they stopped fighting for Voldemort during the battle that he would be given a reprieve, albeit paying large amounts for the damage done. I also believe, that the Malfoy family has finally realized the error of their ways, so having Harry and Draco still hate each other would seem wrong. They would, grudingly, accept each other.

I believe that most action would have been at Hogwarts. Most of the main DE's were fighting there, and alot of Ministry Officials, as well as the entire order, professors, and student body. Therefore there weren't many people left to fight at the Ministry were there?

Hope that helped somewhat.

~ginnygirl16~