Thread: Status of DEs in Deathly Hallows

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!

Status of DEs in Deathly Hallows

Hi- I was just wondering whether in Deathly Hallows you think Death Eaters would be (and I'm sorry I can't think of another expression for this) out of the closet?

As in I know Bellatrix now walks around without fear of arrest etc, but say at the Ministry would they still have to hide their Dark Marks, from the people, like Umbridge, who were not Death Eaters?

Or would it be one of those things where everyone suspected but no-one knew?
    I'm just wondering because in a plot I'm working on my OC's father discovers she is a Death Eater either because he returns from a self-imposed exile and sees it on her arm, or he hears rumours that she is a Death Eater and removes the charms she has hiding it.

THis is set in an AU where Harry dies in the Battle of Hogwarts. SO after that do you think maybe the Death Eaters would be able to come out more into the open?

Any ideas/ advice would be great!
    Banner by Minna.

Inverarity
    It's pretty clear that once the Death Eaters took over the Ministry, everyone knew who was really in charge. Umbridge may not have been a Death Eater, but she obviously had no qualms about sending Muggle-borns and half-bloods into exile or feeding them to Dementors, so I kind of doubt she'd have been shocked if she'd seen a Dark Mark. ("What, you mean I'm actually working for Voldemort? Oh, no!") She was dumb, but not that dumb.

However, it also appears that they never really speak openly about it, even after they've taken over. In my view, the Death Eaters liked maintaining a veneer of secrecy. The fact that everyone knew Voldemort was in charge now, but no one actually dared speak of it openly, or say the words "Death Eater," allowed them to continue to inspire fear, while remaining part of the Dark Lord's elite inner circle.

So I'd say all but the dimmest people knew who was a Death Eater and who wasn't, but the DEs probably didn't openly display their Dark Marks to the masses, because that would have been gauche.

This is a bit of supposition on my part, but I don't see many other scenarios making sense.

To use a very rough analogy: in the early 20th century, there were parts of the U.S. in which the Klu Klux Klan was enormously popular. Practically anyone of any social stature was either a member, or knew who was. Judges, sheriffs, ministers, mayors, etc. were all proud members. But, the whole point of the KKK was to keep blacks and Jews (and sympathetic whites) in their place through terror and intimidation. So, even though most people had a pretty good idea who had white robes in their closet, it wasn't generally spoken of openly. That gave them a shield for their criminal activities, and to continue to appear as upstanding gentlemen in polite society.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    That makes alot of sense. The analogy with the Klu Klux Klan is really helpful- thank you!
    Banner by Minna.

Momo Wellish
    I think people like Bellatrix would proudly show off their DM, while people like Malfoy would keep it on the low, because of their uncertainty if Voldemort would win the war. If Voldemort had lost, the DE who had revealed themselves as DEs would be rounded up, and possibly executed.