Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identifying Non Verbal Spells

MorganRay
    No, I think that Molly simply used a curse, or hex, or whatever, just so powerful, that it killed Bellatrix. Not to mention that Molly had every intention of killing Bellatrix, which probbaly had an effect on the spell as well.
    I'm thinking of this line in OotP when Bellatrix tells Harry he really needs to want to cause pain to use the Cruciatus curse to its full affect. I suppose that, with enough intent, that some other hexes, jinxes, or curses could kill besides AK. We only know that AK is the only curse designed to kill instantly, but I assume that it must also be said with the real intent to kill or else it probably wouldn't work, either.

As for Sirius, the final spell Bellatrix hits him with is not described. I think Harry does not believe he's dead because maybe Bellatrix did not hit him with AK. However, after he fell through the Veil, everyone else is pretty certain Sirius is dead.

lupins_girl2006
    I'm thinking of this line in OotP when Bellatrix tells Harry he really needs to want to cause pain to use the Cruciatus curse to its full affect. I suppose that, with enough intent, that some other hexes, jinxes, or curses could kill besides AK. We only know that AK is the only curse designed to kill instantly, but I assume that it must also be said with the real intent to kill or else it probably wouldn't work, either.
    I agree. In GoF, impostor Moody said something regarding this (sort of) in Harry's first class with him. He said something like, 'The whole class could cast the Avada Kedavra spell at me and all I would get is a nose bleed', roughly paraphrased of course. But even here impostor Moody gave the class, and the reader as well, information on spells and hexes and curses. The caster needs to want the spell to work, it's not just saying the spell.

In PoA, the same happens with Ron, Hermione, and Harry in the Shrieking Shack when they used Expelliarmus on Professor Snape.

~Allieatrix