Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July Activities 2009

GringottsVault711

July Activities 2009

Choose one of your favourite characters (canon or original) and write a drabble that takes place when they are between the age of two to five years old.
    The drabble does not have to be from their PoV or entirely focused on them, but they must be present and they should be of significance to the premise of the story or scene

Rules/Guidelines

• Drabble can be between 250-800 words.
    • Content should not be any higher than a 3rd-5th Years rating. (Especially not with the little one present!)
    • All content that would require a warning on the MNFF Archive should be labeled.
    • This thread is for responses only. If you have a question, PM me.
    • Responses must be posted by July 31st, 2009.
    • Please post using this format:

Title: Little Lucius
      Word Count: 450 (This may be approximate)

Story Text Story Text Story Text Story Text Story Text Story Text Story Text
    • As with all activities within the SPEW forum, this challenge is open only to SPEW members.

GringottsVault711

July Discussion: Mature Content

You don't want to know where this idea came from, , but this month's discussion involves mature content and sensitive subject matter and it's relation to reviewing.

This can apply to either what is known via MNFF warnings as "Sexual Situations", to any other sensitive subjects such Substance Abuse, Mental Disorders, Suicide, Self-Injury, etc;

The main issue here is that, as writing mature and sensitive subject matter is more intense and should be done more carefully than other writing in general, the same applies to reviewing said subject matter.

A few questions to start you off, though, as always, you don't need to stick to these:

• Does the rating or the content of a fic play a factor in your choosing to read/review it? If so, how?
    • As a reviewer, are there any specific instances where mature or sensitive subject matter has been touched upon in your review?
    • How do you approach critiquing a mature or sensitive subject matter in a review?
    • As an author, are there any specific instances where mature or sensitive subject matter has been mentioned by a reviewer?
    • As an author, what kind of consideration do you give to reader comments on mature or sensitive subject matter?

* If you have any need to use excerpts from story or reviews, please be sure to select them and edit them appropriately. Nothing above 3rd-5th years, please.

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    Dobby's Sock Addiction Begins
    Title: Promises
    Word Count: 583

‘I promise to be a good mother,’ Isla declared with a seriousness she had never felt before.

‘And what defines a good mother?’ Savaric asked curiously.

He caught her by surprise, and she had to think about it for a while. What did define a good mother? Isla thought of her mother and how she was. ‘In my eyes, a good mother loves her children, spends time with them, listens to their complaints and worries, soothes them when they need it…’ she eventually answered, ticking off her fingers with the listing.

‘But what about punishments? Should a mother not punish her children when they behave badly?’

This was another question where Isla had to think a while longer before she found an answer. ‘I always thought that this is the task of the father…’

A chuckle from the armchair near the window let her look over to her brother Phineas. ‘A punishment – if deserved – is part of being raised, Isla,’ he lectured and turned a page in the book he was reading. ‘Punishments help shape a person’s character, and since the mother has a great part of the children’s education, it is her task to punish them, too.’

Isla looked at Savaric, confusion clearly written all over her face. ‘Is it true?’ He nodded and she asked, ‘How? How does punishing someone help shape a character?’

‘If the child has stolen something,’ Phin started to explain, his voice patient, ‘it needs being punished, because?’ His grey eyes bore into his sister’s, prompting her to answer his question.

‘Because stealing is wrong. Everyone knows that.’

Phin nodded approvingly. ‘That is correct, but even though children are taught not to steal, some do so to find out what will happen if their parents find out.’

‘This is stupid,’ Isla exclaimed, feeling proud to never have stolen anything.

‘I agree,’ Sybil, Savaric’s older sister, said, ‘but there are children that behave improperly to test their parents. And this behaviour needs punishment to show them what is right and just.’

‘So, Isla,’ Phin said, gaining the younger girl’s attention, ‘it is the duty of a good mother to punish such improper behaviour. A mother has an important role in the family.’

Isla nodded, then turned back to Savaric. ‘I promise to be an ever better mother now that I know what needs to be done.’

‘What about being a good wife?’

‘Um…’ Isla stared at Savaric for a while, then scrambled up from the spot she was occupying on the study’s floor and went over to her brother. ‘Phin,’ she whispered into his ear, ‘what is a wife?’

He chuckled quietly and turned another page; Isla wondered how he could read and still follow the conversation. ‘A wife is a woman that is married to a man. Mother is Father’s wife.’

‘Oh.’ Isla pondered. ‘And what defines being a good wife?’ she asked, forgetting to whisper. Isla did not notice it, though, not before Sybil answered.

‘A good wife means to fulfil your duties to your husband, be a good mother to his children, show him the respect he deserves. In general, if you devote to your husband utterly and without contradiction, you are a good wife.’ She sounded proud to know this.

Isla needed a moment to process what she had said, but then she went back to Savaric, said down and promised in a celebratory tone, ‘I promise to be a good mother and wife.’ When Savaric smiled at Isla, she beamed back at him.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Okay, I generally don't read/review 'professor' rated fics, unless the summary is really good, and warnings like self-injury don't scare me away. I tend to be a little dubious of what I will find in them, because I don't particularly like really graphic stuff. And, while most fics with this rating I find are fine, occasionally there'll be one that's just a little Which is good, I guess, because that probably means the writing is pretty good, but... it can make me a little uncomfortable if it is too bloody, etc. >.> If I read a story of this rating, though, and I like it, I will review it. Why shouldn't the author receive a review when they've worked so hard, and I liked it?

When it comes to warnings, I'm generally quite open. Suicide and self-injury will occassionally bother me a little if they're written really well/thoroughly, but both are touched upon quite a bit in society today, and I try not to shy away from them.

When I review about stories with sensitive matter, I'm a lot more cautious with my wording than if I were to review a PG fiction. I'm very aware that sounding too... flippant could insult anybody reading my review, when the warning concerned is sensitive. I mean, anybody could have been affected in their pasts, or presents, by what it is the author is writing about - I'm particularly cautious of the writer themselves. So, when I do read/review stories of a sensitive nature, I strive to make my comments/critique of the sensitive content involved polite, and not too dismissive. Sometimes, I don't comment on it at all, though I really should because it's often a key part, because I can't get the words down right. Anyone else ever experienced that? Where you know what you want to say, but... you can't phrase it in a way that would make sense on paper? Yeah, I have that problem a lot.

Fantasium
    Title: Hatchling
    Word Count: 573
    Characters: Lucas Malory and Grace Malory, both OC's.

“Careful, now. We’ll see if he manages on his own first,” the woman spoke in a low, soothing voice.

“How do you know it’s a he, mum?” whispered the boy.

“Look,” she said, gently waving her wand in a circular motion above the egg. “See how those spots move around? If they make a clockwise motion, it’s a female. Anticlockwise means male,” Grace explained, stilling the swirl of spots with another flick of her wand.

Lucas nodded, his gaze transfixed on the little egg. It was cold in the draughty, windowless owlery and his breath rose in puffs of white mist, but he was protected from the elements by a woollen cloak and the warm rush of excitement. A late moon shone brightly from the night sky, and the silence was only disturbed by the occasional hoot, and a slight rustle as the unhatched owl sought to break free of its confinements.

Looking up at his mother’s face, Lucas saw that she was watching him. He smiled to let her know how happy he was to be there. Countless times he had begged to watch the birth of a new little bird, but she had remained unyielding in spite of his pleas. He was too young, she had explained in her kind voice, and she knew that he might upset the mother owl in his excitment. But now, at the age of four, his attempts at reining in his boyish unruliness had finally paid off and he felt proud. His mother trusted him to be here tonight, and there could be no greater praise.

He held back a gasp as he saw the fragile walls of the egg crack. For a second he thought he could sense the struggle of the little chic inside, but then a piece of spotted shell fell out and the moment passed. Maybe the bird had been fortified by the first taste of fresh air, because his efforts seemed to double. Relentless picking soon earned him several more cracks and holes, and a feeble squeak was heard from inside. A little more work, and a bald head was peering out of the egg.

“This is where we help him,” Grace instructed her son. “We don’t want him to hurt his little neck on those sharp edges. Here,