Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: International Floo Network

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Hmmm, I'm just posting to point out that International Floo won't make much sense because many countries (like mine) are too hot to even bother with fireplaces in the houses.
    Great! Now I'm wondering how wizards in warmer countries travel great distances! Portkeys are supposedly very difficult to make, and Apparation wouldn't work for children.

I suppose most wizard homes might have a hearth of some sort for cooking. I have actually already done some wondering about how Floo Networks would work when there are no nearby fireplaces. In one chapter of a story I'm working on, the characters just shoot out of a burning canister, much to the shock of the crowd of homeless perople gathered around it.

Do you suppose poeple in warmer countries devise alturnative means of travel as opposed to the Floo. I think of India being a former British colony and I think it would be something British wizards would have pondered over.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Do you suppose poeple in warmer countries devise alturnative means of travel as opposed to the Floo. I think of India being a former British colony and I think it would be something British wizards would have pondered over.
    I think it's very likely that India, with thousands of years of civilization before the British ever showed up, might have wizards who figured out their own way of doing things.

I think for Floo travel, you need Floos. Not popping out of random hearths and fire cans and the like. Otherwise, it would be "firewalking" and wizards could do it anywhere there's a fire.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    If I'm not mistaken, Harry at one point receives a letter from Sirius delivered by a tropical bird, implying that Sirius was in the Bahamas or something.

Which was cute, but not really feasible, if you think about it.
    Straying off subject - but why isn't that feasible? Ron sends Harry his birthday present all the way from Egypt using the very doddery Errol - who is being held aloft by Hedwig and the Hogwarts owl. But Hedwig and the Hogwarts owl haven't come all the way from Egypt, so Errol has made most of the journey by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil Med
    Ali Bashir wants to import Magic Carpets to England and I think Crouch or someone speaks of them quite fondly. I imagine that they're legal in other parts of the wizarding world. I guess that's instead of brooms though.
    But wizards in hot countries still have to cook, so there'd be an oven or a cauldron over a fireplace, perhaps, so they could still have a Floo connection of sorts.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Like, Pooja said, A lot of the countries wont even bother having Fireplaces. Imagin places like Africa, who already have enough sun to struggle with. I dont think the equatorial regions would have fireplaces. After all, it'd become too hot. But it might be possible to use the stoves. But imagine, a person is cooking and out of nowhere, a person boinks their head on the bottom of the cooking utensil, topples the food over and shoots out. He hurts his head and also spoils the food.

But maybe they'd use Portkeys and such? I think this is quite possible, as Amanda pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    GOF, American version, page 69/70, Emphasis added:

"First, of course, we have to stagger the arrivals. People with cheaper tickets have to arrive two weeks beforehand. A limited number use Muggle transportation, but we can't have too many clogging up their buses and trains-remember, wizards are coming from all over the world. Some Apparate, of course, but we have to set up safe points for them to appear, well away from Muggles. I believe there's a handy wood they're using as the Apparition point. For those who don't want to Apparate, or can't, we use Portkeys. They're objects that are used to transport wizards from one spot to another at a prearranged time. You can do large groups at a time if you need to. There have been two hundred Portkeys placed at strategic points around Britain, and the nearest one to us is up at the top of Stoatshead Hill, so that's where we're headed."
    So it is quite likely that those people use the same methods. Apparatition and Portkey. Of course, you also have the flying carpets, and they are probably there in some parts of Africa, where I think they were originally made. Aladdin, anyone?

Also, about communication, I think they used birds. Sirius sent the tropical bird (which probably came from Africa), Ron sent Errol from Egypt, and Charlie's pen pal sent him a cursed hat. And definitely the Ministry received info from other Ministries? So I think that letters are good ways of communication.

Hope I helped!

--Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!