Thread: Conjuring

Wembricken

Conjuring

Right so, in my story, my main character (a wizard) makes a living by conning Muggles into buying fake jewelery. Originally I was thinking he just conjured this jewelery out of thin air, but my beta pointed out that not even the witches and wizards have been able to make something out of nothing in the books. So I'm looking for suggestions as to how he might go about conjuring this jewelry. My plan was that he would conjure it and then it just disappears a few weeks later, with the Muggles simply believing they've lost it somewhere.

Would it be something as simple as he transfigures something worthless to look like a necklace, etc? Or a charm to make something like a glass necklace appear to be real diamond? I'm open to your most creative suggestions!

TheCursedQuill
    It just occured to me that this post would better be suited for the Plot Help thread. You might want to bring it over there.

I'll re-post my answer once you switch it

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Would it be something as simple as he transfigures something worthless to look like a necklace, etc? Or a charm to make something like a glass necklace appear to be real diamond? I'm open to your most creative suggestions!
    That's what I would do. Your wizard could buy Muggle keychain loops in bulk, then charms them to look like expensive rings or something like that. A few spells could certainly make glass look like diamonds, and would probably fool someone who wasn't in the jewelery business.

However, I must point out that you can create some things out of nothing in the Harry Potter series, just not food, precious metals, and other exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration. There are many occasions in the books when characters conjure things out of thin are, like Hermione creating the birds that attack Ron in HBP, Ollivander creating a bunch of flowers in GoF, etcetera.

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    it just disappears a few weeks later
    Well a way to do this would be some kind of Leprechaun gold type thing. That dissapears in a while too. So if I were you I might have the necklaces made from leprechaun gold, sell them to the muggles only to vanish a few weeks later. Or you could do as Tim said, but this is up to you, if you want the items to totally disappear, then maybe the leprechaun gold, if you want them to simply return to their original form, glass or whatever, then maybe the transfiuration?

Hope this helped

Russia xxxxx
    I'm dreaming the hardest.

Thank you Nadia/majestic_ginny! <3
    Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Wembricken
    Good points and ideas, thank you very much! The Leprechaun gold is something I'd never thought of! Or maybe something that works the same way as Leprechaun gold. How might a non-Leprechaun go about getting Leprechaun gold? Note also that my story is set in 1885 London, so if I go with the transfiguration or charm idea, I suppose I'll need to come up with something cheap and common during that time period.

Also, thanks for pointing out where this thread should be, TheCursedQuill, I was just thinking about conjuring objects, etc, but I'm really looking for ideas rather than references. Shall post again in Plot Help if anybody wants to continue suggesting ideas!