Thread: Misogyny

Hybrid View

Condrona

Misogyny

Is there any evidence of misogyny in the magical world? More specifically around the time of Hellenistic Greece.

Drew

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    How do you mean this? As a literary theme in the books, or as an actual sociological condition in the wizarding world?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Condrona
    I meant social prejudices and the condition of women, not a theme in any of the books. Sorry for the confusion.

Inverarity
    As far as we can tell from the books, the magical world has no more and no less misogyny than the Muggle world. I don't think anything at all has been said about Hellenistic Greece.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Some of Greek Mythology might have serve as insperation for parts of the book, but I don't think misogyny really has a part in the books.

Do you have any expample or quotes that might make you think otherwise?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Amber0_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Condrona
    Is there any evidence of misogyny in the magical world? More specifically around the time of Hellenistic Greece.

Drew
    Personally, as a general rule I would say that if there is a bias in the Muggle world it would be a safe bet to say the same bias could be found in the magical world. If it suits your plot, go for it. There is nothing in the books or JKR's interviews to suggest otherwise, imho.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    A large part of it will also depend on the era of your story. If it is a modern era, there might be a certain number of people who still discriminate against women, but it would hardly be policy.

In historical stories, it might be easier to fit in.

Brand New Story!

Condrona
    To me it seems like the answer would be yes and no. In that era there was extreme gender prejudice throughout the Mediterranean. The two worlds, Wizarding and Muggle,were entwined (at least I think. Correct me if I'm wrong ). At the same time two of the four founders of Hogwarts were women. It doesn't seem like two men would willingly go into business with women if misogyny was ingrained in their cultural traditions. The story is set in 321 B.C. though, and a lot can happen in the 1300 years between Greece being conquered and Hogwarts being founded, but it doesn't seem likely that there would be such a massive cultural revolution without the same reflection in the Muggle world when the two are interacting with each other.

Maybe I'm over thinking it . I was hoping JKR had said something in an interview once, but if not I'll just go with yes there was... it fits my story better . Thanks for helping!

Amber0_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Condrona
    To me it seems like the answer would be yes and no. In that era there was extreme gender prejudice throughout the Mediterranean. The two worlds, Wizarding and Muggle,were entwined (at least I think. Correct me if I'm wrong ). At the same time two of the four founders of Hogwarts were women. It doesn't seem like two men would willingly go into business with women if misogyny was ingrained in their cultural traditions. The story is set in 321 B.C. though, and a lot can happen in the 1300 years between Greece being conquered and Hogwarts being founded, but it doesn't seem likely that there would be such a massive cultural revolution without the same reflection in the Muggle world when the two are interacting with each other.

Maybe I'm over thinking it . I was hoping JKR had said something in an interview once, but if not I'll just go with yes there was... it fits my story better . Thanks for helping!
    I would say that 1300 years is plenty time for gender reform to start taking place in the Magical world. Also, I would be quick to point out the obvious in saying that because a culture/many people hold a certain set of beliefs (in this case misogyny) does not mean that all hold onto that set of beliefs; if you really felt you had to justify it you could say that Salazar and Godric were "ahead of their time" in terms of women's rights and such. Good luck with your story!

Racing Co
    I've always noticed a distinct gender equality in JKR's magical world than what I've found (thus far) in the real world. As has been said, two women were founders of the school in a time when men ruled the western world, both politically and religiously.

JKR even wrote equality into her sport, which is totally opposite of the real world when people — as a general rule — only care about men's sports. It receives the most money, the most coverage and the most fans across the board. In Quidditch, however, wizards and witches compete alongside each other; there doesn't seem to be any discrimination (although wizards typically dominate the Beater position).

I think JKR, as a woman, envisioned a more equal world than the "real" one. Magic is a great leveling tool because brawn matters very little.