Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge #2 - Results!

kumydabookworm
    Name: kumydabookworm
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Suitable Position
    Words: 497
    Warnings: None

Dumbledore glanced at the man sitting in front of him. Tom Marvolo Riddle was, quite possibly, the most gifted wizard to ever grace the halls of Hogwarts. Power literally oozed from the pores of this man's skin - a tangible aura that changed the minds of those around him.

His eyes flitted around at objects in the room, and Dumbledore knew he was hiding something. Tom had always had secrets. He recalled that day, years ago, when he had retrieved the orphan from that hovel he once called home. The box full of trinkets and the wicked twists of magic that had entangled themselves throughout the house.

The pale hand sitting on the arm of the chair twitched nervously, nails clacking against polished mahogany.

Tom truly had not changed from the boy he once was. Something about him would never change - an innate sense of survival which forced him to look within others' minds, bend them to his will. Tom had learned so much of magic, and yet nothing of himself. He still believed he needed to fight to survive - needed to hurt anyone and everyone simply so that he could live.

No. This could not be. Not while Dumbledore was Headmaster. Tom would only taint the minds of the students, bend them to his way of thinking. Hogwarts was a place of learning, not of dominion. Tom was honed to dominate.

But if he turned this man away, where would Tom go? Dumbledore had no doubt that Tom Marvolo Riddle would not be content to walk away to a better life. He would always want what he was not given, and for that, he would go elsewhere.

Dumbledore knew this was a choice between keeping him here...keeping him safe, or sending him away into the darkness in which others had always abandoned him. Tom trusted him, up to a point. He had been the one to take him from the orphanage; he had been the one to help him in his first year of Hogwarts. If he turned Tom away now, the only trust Tom had allowed himself would lash back at him. He would be wounded, once again - and Dumbledore feared he would never return from the darkness.

To keep him safe, or to keep Hogwarts pure? Dumbledore wished, once again, that he had never become Headmaster of his beloved school. If only someone else could tell Tom - but the students were his dependents, and he must protect them. Tom was no longer a student, and could no longer be protected.

Dumbledore said softly, "I'm afraid, Tom, that you will have to look elsewhere for a position worth your time. Hogwarts is no longer in need of a professor in Defense Against the Dark Arts."

Dumbledore watched the young man sweep out of the room, wondering if he had made the right decision. Tom Marvolo Riddle was, quite possibly, the most dangerous wizard to ever grace the halls of Hogwarts.

lily_16_evans
    Name: lily_16_evans
    House: Slytherin
    Title: A Morning to Remember
    Words: 167
    Warnings: None

Luna marched through the doors of the Great Hall with blazing confidence. Today was the day she had told herself as she got out of bed. She was wearing tye-dyed robes, and a purple sombrero. This morning, she deterred from her usual root to the Ravenclaw table, and headed to the Gryffindor table instead.

Harry had just put a spoonful of cereal as Luna had arrived.

“Gross!” groaned Ron Harry’s mouthful of cereal hit him in the chest, “what was that for?” he complained.

Harry nodded towards friend, and Ron slowly turned to face Luna who was towering over him.

“Ronald, after much deliberation, with the assistance of Professor Trelawney, I have decided we only have one choice,” boomed Luna. The entire Great Hall had turned to see where the proclamation had come from making Ron’s face turn red.

“Ronald Weasly, will you marry me?”

Ron fell to the floor with a small thud as the room around him roared with laughter.

MithrilQuill
    Sorry for the long wait guys, anyways the results are finally here!

*drumroll*

First Place:
    Suitable Position by Kumydabookworm of Gryffindor

Second Place:
    Choosing Between Friends by FanficWriterNikki of Hufflepuff

Third Place:
    Unconditional by SlySeverus of Slytherin

I'm going to open the thread so you guys can comment on each others drabbles etc. All of them were very very good.

MorganRay

lovely

I really liked reading all the drabbles this week. There was such a variety of characters and situations that gave me a sampling of so many people's writing. Good job to the winners! I really must say that 'Choosing Between Friends' was a favorite of mine, although I can definately see why Kumydabookworm won.

kumydabookworm
    Aw, thanks, Morgan! I'm so excited that I won!!! I mean, this is the first contest I've placed in since what...June? But we all know, no one can resist the evil twisted-ness of Tom Riddle.

Anyway, I really liked a lot of these drabbles. One of my favorites was Blossomlily's drabble about Peter Pettigrew. She showed him in a really humane light, which was nice. I loved the last line!

Great job to everyone!!! I should probably go put that drabble in my drabble thread now...

-scurries away-

Kumy

FanficWriterNikki
    Thank you Morgan!!

And congratulations to Kumy and SlySeverus!

I liked so many of the drabbles. I can see why Kumy won. I really enjoyed "Suitable Position". Kumy gave so many clear descriptions; I could picture the drabble in my head! "Unconditional" was one of my favorites when I was reading them a few days ago, but I can't honestly say there was a drabble here I did not enjoy!

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    Ohh..I really liked Kumy's drabble! No wonder you won!
    But everyone did a great job! *hugs all around*
    Congratulations to the winners for this week!

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!