Thread: Population of Irish Wizards

Amortentia x

Population of Irish Wizards

Dhia dhuit

I have a plot bunny in my head that revolves around an Irish magic school in the Republic of Ireland, and I'd like some opinions.

There are just under 6 million people living in Ireland - approximately 4.2 million in the Republic and approximately 1.75 million living in Northern Ireland.

In my story, most Northern Irish wizards/witches attend Hogwarts, while the rest (4.2 million) attend the Republican school.

However, I was wondering - how large should the school be? How large would the Irish magical population be? One in ten people are magical? One in a hundred? One in a thousand? One in ten thousand?

Do we have any idea how many students attend Hogwarts? Obviously, Hogwarts should be larger due to more students as the population of England is much higher than Ireland, but what is the ratio of magical people compared to Muggles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Emma x

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    There are two threads about wizarding population numbers that I think you will find useful:

http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/foru...ad.php?t=34016
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/foru...ad.php?t=30941

Anyway, I believe Rowling once said in an interview that the magical population of Britain was about 10,000. With the population of the UK at about 61 million people, wizards/witches compose a mere .016%.
    (10K/61,000K=.00016 -> .016%)

So, if the Republic of Ireland has 6 million people, there would be about 1000 Irish wizards and witches. Basically one tenth the size of Britain.

As for an Irish magical school, it would be tiny, only serving probably 28 or so students (one tenth the size of Hogwarts).

Tim the Enchanter

Amortentia x
    Okay, I really researched this so hopefully it sounds all right.

Tim, I'm taking your percentage of %.016 of the population of a country are magical.

There are 4,203,200 people in the Republican of Ireland, according to the US Census.

Therefore, roughly 673 of these are magical.

Regarding the amount of teenagers in Ireland:

Ages 10-14 = 284, 307
    Ages 15-19 = 275, 074

This equals 509, 381 which I rounded to 500,000 because generally children of the ages 10, 18 and 19 do not attend Hogwarts.

So put 500,000 over 4,204,200 and that means 12% of 673 magical Irish people are attending Hogwarts.

That leaves 81 students: approximately 11/12 in every year.

Does that sound right?

Obviously the school is going to be small, but do those figures sound okay?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by Amortentia x

That leaves 81 students: approximately 11/12 in every year.

Does that sound right?

Obviously the school is going to be small, but do those figures sound okay?
    I suck at maths, so I'm just going to comment on the last part of your post. The school itself would be quite small, but the classes would be alright. If you have 11 students per year, that's about as many as there are in, say, one Transfiguration Class at Hogwarts. So it's like you take one of the four Houses and turn it into a school. I would avoid splitting the students up (into houses), as they are so few already.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey