Character Forms and Guidelines for Use
Character forms are not to be posted anywhere in this forum. . Please read this guideline post first.
Character Forms are a very useful tool when trying to develop your character. They spark ideas, they make you realise what you haven't thought of yet, they open your mind to possibilites. They also test your knowledge of the character.
When using either of the following character forms, keep in mind you shouldn't feel pressured to answer every question. Don't know any traumas that your character has been through? Don't feel pressured to make one up if it's not important. Not all real people have experienced serious trauma by the age of 16-17, which is the age of the average OC. Use the questions to help define who your character is and who they will become, answer the questions that best benefit them.
Think I'm crazy? Try answering every question for yourself. You will most likely find you don't have an answer to every question.
+ Again, don't feel pressured to answer every question. Answer the ones that apply to your OC. Don't invent facts that don't need to exist.
+ Is there question on the form that you realise is pivotal to your character's personality and role within the story? Write out a lengthy answer, and post it for us as a paragraph, without the question.
+ Do it all at once -- or not Come back to it as you get to know your character better.
+ Keep it for your own reference. Even JKR has to peek in her notebooks, and sometimes the Lexicon, to check facts.
+ And have a little fun. Go ahead, pick a few of those questions that don't matter, and use them to flavour your OC. We all have our odd, trivial traits, right?
Remember, a survey does not define a person. Random facts don't either. Do what you would do when talking about yourself, and hit what's important, what truly defines you, what sets you apart. Do the same for your character and your feedback will be better quality
Character Form I
- Birth date & age during story:
- Basic Appearance:
- Parents’ Occupations, if employed:
- Siblings, if any:
- Other known blood relatives, if any:
- Pets, if any:
- Area of Residence
- Blood type [Muggleborn, Pureblood, Half-blood]:
- Hogwarts House [and why]:
- Best school subjects [and why]:
- Worst school subjects [and why]:
- Internally Damaging Traits [Negatives/Weaknesses that mainly affect the character]:
- Outwardly Damaging Traits [Negatives/Weaknesses that mainly affect others]:
- Internal Positive Traits [Strengths within the character]:
- Outward Positive Traits [Strengths in dealing with or affecting others]:
In Depth – Magical Metaphors
- What would your character see if he/she looked in the Mirror of Erised?
- What would their Boggart be?
- What would their Animagus form be?
- What would their Patronus be [keep in mind the Patronus represents a protector or guardian to the character, rather than their own personality]?
- What scent would the character get from Amortentia?
- What memory would they relive in the presence of a Dementor?
In Depth – Relationships
- How does your character act around his/her friends?
- How does your character act around teachers?
- How does your character act around his/her parents?
- How does your character act around his/her enemy?
- Is your character in love with anyone [or have they ever been]?
- How does your character express platonic love, if at all?
- How does your character express romantic love, if at all?
- How would your character react if he/she would be betrayed by his/her best friend?
In Depth – Personal/Emotional
- How does your character react under pressure? When upset? When angry?
- What makes your character angry? I.e., what are his/her buttons?
- How does your character react to teasing? How much does he/she get teased, and if so, how is it meant?
- What hurts this character? What penetrates so deeply that it makes him/her want to cry (regardless of whether he/she actually does)?
- How does your character handle his/her own emotions? Are they controlled? Bottled up? Obvious? Is he/she a loose cannon?
- How does your character handle other people's emotions? Does he/she feel awkward? Comfortable? Does it depend on the person?
In Depth – Personal/Biographical
- What was the character's childhood like?
- What major traumas did the character have to go through, and how did they deal with it?
- Did anything happen that drastically changed the character's personality, subconscious or not?
- Which events in the past define your character's personality? (trauma's etc...)
- Do they have trouble talking about their past?
In Depth – Personal/Moral & Ethical
- Does the character follow the same actions or have the same beliefs as his/her parents and/or family
- How does your character feel about the political situation in the time-frame of your story?
- Would your character identify more with the cause of the Death Eaters or the Order of the Phoenix?
- How strong is his/her conscience?
- What is their stance on Marriage? Adultery?
- Stance on the Unforgivables?
In Depth – Personal/Future
- If still in school, what is their career ambition?
- What other career/business goals/aspirations do they have?
- What social/relationship goals do they have?
- What internal/personal goals do they have?
- What do they wish to accomplish before they die?
This is more of a character interview than a form. Questions are addressed directly to the character. Most stories, however, are written more effectively from limited third-person PoV. If you feel more comfortable answering in third-person, then there's no reason not to
Part 1: The Basics
1. What is your full name?
2. Where and when were you born
3. Who are/were your parents?
4. Do you have any siblings? What are/were they like
5. Where do you live now, and with whom?
6. What is your occupation?
7. Write a full physical description of yourself.
8. To which social class do you belong?
9. Do you have any allergies, diseases, or other physical weaknesses?
10. Are you right- or left-handed?
11. What does your voice sound like?
12. What words and/or phrases do you use very frequently
13. What do you have in your pockets?
14. Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
Part 2: Growing Up
15. How would you describe your childhood in general?
16. What is your earliest memory?
17. How much schooling have you had?
18. Did you enjoy school?
19. Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities?
20. While growing up, did you have any role models?
21. While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?
22. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
23. As a child, what were your favourite activities?
24. As a child, what kinds of personality traits did you display?
25. As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends, and what were they like?
26. When and with whom was your first kiss?
27. Are you a virgin? If not, when and with whom did you lose your virginity?
28. If you are a supernatural being (i.e. mage, werewolf, vampire), tell the story of how you became what you are or first learned of your own abilities.
Part 3: Past Influences
29. What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?
30. Who has had the most influence on you?
31. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
32. What is your greatest regret?
33. What is the most evil thing you have ever done?
34. Do you have a criminal record of any kind?
35. When was the time you were the most frightened?
36. What is the most embarrassing thing ever to happen to you?
37. If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why?
38. What is your best memory?
39. What is your worst memory?
Part 4: Beliefs And Opinions
40. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic?
41. What is your greatest fear?
42. What are your religious views?
43. What are your political views?
44. What are your views on sex?
45. Are you able to kill? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
46. In your opinion, what is the most evil thing any human being could do?
47. Do you believe in the existence of soul mates and/or true love?
48. What do you believe makes a successful life?
49. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings (i.e. do you hide your true self from others, and in what way)?
50. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
51. Is there anything you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances? Why do you refuse to do it?
52. Who or what, if anything, would you die for (or otherwise go to extremes for)?
Part 5: Relationships With Others
53. In general, how do you treat others (politely, rudely, by keeping them at a distance, etc.)? Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them, and if so, how?
54. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
55. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
56. Who are your friends? Do you have a best friend? Describe these people.
57. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If so, describe this person.
58. Have you ever been in love? If so, describe what happened.
59. What do you look for in a potential lover?
60. How close are you to your family?
61. Have you started your own family?
62. Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help?
63. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
64. If you died or went missing, who would miss you?
65. Who is the person you despise the most, and why?
66. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
67. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
68. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
69. Do you care what others think of you?
Part 6: Likes And Dislikes
70. What is/are your favourite hobbies and pastimes?
71. What is your most treasured possession?
72. What is your favourite colour?
73. What is your favorite food?
74. What, if anything, do you like to read?
75. What is your idea of good entertainment (consider music, movies, art, etc.)?
76. Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit?
77. How do you spend a typical Saturday night?
78. What makes you laugh?
79. What, if anything, shocks or offends you?
80. What would you do if you had insomnia and had to find something to do to amuse yourself?
81. How do you deal with stress?
82. Are you spontaneous, or do you always need to have a plan?
83. What are your pet peeves?
Part 7: Self Images And Etc.
84. Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel when this routine is disrupted?
85. What is your greatest strength as a person?
86. What is your greatest weakness?
87. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
88. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
89. Are you generally organized or messy?
90. Name three things you consider yourself to be very good at, and three things you consider yourself to be very bad at.
91. Do you like yourself?
92. What are your reasons for being an adventurer? Are your real reasons for doing this different than the ones you tell people in public? (If so, detail both sets of reasons...)
93. What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime?
94. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
95. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
96. If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left.
97. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
98. What three words best describe your personality?
99. What three words would others probably use to describe you?
100. If you could, what advice would you, the writer, give to your character?