My gosh, I haven't seen a discussion topic this popular in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
How important is recieving reviews, compared to writing reviews, to improving as a writer?
Personally, I think writing reviews helps me improve as a writer a lot more than receiving them does. Getting well thought-out SPEW review is just lovely, of course, and they still help a lot - like Cassie pointed out, they help you to recognise your flaws. Without all the detailed critiques from fellow SPEW members, I never would have realised my weak points and in turn worked on improving them. Betas can help with this a little, but it's the feedback from your reader that is the most important, in my opinion. Also, reviews are brilliant for my muse - it's so much easier to write if I know that there are people out there who enjoy it.

Writing reviews has made a bigger impact on my writing, though. I've improved so much since I first joined SPEW, and I think the main reason is from my constant reading and reviewing of fanfic (mainly by other SPEWers ). Over time, I've learnt what works and what doesn't work, and how to improve on certain things, and how to characterise and fit things into the Potterverse - all from analysing fics and being able to see how to improve things. (I don't think that sentence makes much sense, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.)

Do you think that as SPEWers, our first priority is to one another, or to other non-SPEW members? Why?
Honestly, I think our first priority should be to non-SPEW members. I pretty much agree with Cass completely. In SPEW, we're all pretty decent writers (I'm yet to see an exception), which is most likely a result of writing/receiving so many reviews. Outside of SPEW, though, there are a lot more people whose writing could improve with some good critique and feedback. Also, most SPEWers have received a heap of brilliant reviews already - but there are a lot of people out there who may never have received more than one-liners, and I kind of feel like it's our duty to make sure they get their fair share of feedback.

Of course, I'm entirely hypocritical, because I can't remember the last time I reviewed a non-SPEWer. >.>

Do you think that there should be this requirement should be reinstated? (Ex: Of 3 reviews, one should be for a SPEW member; Of 4 reviews, two should be for a SPEW member) Why or why not?
No. Most people tend to have one or more reviews for fellow SPEW members anyway, and like I said above, I think we're more obliged to review writers who aren't in SPEW. That's not to say that you can't review a SPEWer - and like Mere pointed out, there's always plenty of opportunities to review fellow members. I don't think we should be told who to review - we're not here to force reviews out, after all. We're here to help people, and those people can be whoever we feel wants/needs it.

/my two cents.