Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marauder's Map

Racing Co
    Well, I guess the map would have to adapt somewhat, since JKR stresses (particularly in the first book) that the staircases and connective parts of the castle moved around at will. Could the map adjust to extreme changes? Probably not.

That said, here's a related question...

With all the explosions and the like that happened to the castle in the Battle of Hogwarts, do you think the Murauder's Map would have retained its usefulness in the "Post-Hogwarts" era? Do you think there was enough damage to make much of a difference?

PurpleTree
    With all the explosions and the like that happened to the castle in the Battle of Hogwarts, do you think the Murauder's Map would have retained its usefulness in the "Post-Hogwarts" era? Do you think there was enough damage to make much of a difference?

I think yes, because the castle would have been rebuilt. The extent of damage doesn't seem amazingly awful (it was only stray spells and a few giants, not bombs and dynamite) so I assume that they just would have used the reparo spell. (Perhaps there was a reparo maxima spell?) Given that Hermione has never mentioned anything from Hogwarts, A History, about the castle being "remolded" in some way, I suspect that the general layout is the same as when the founders built the castle.

Remembering that staircases do move about, and there are doors pretending to be walls and the other way around, I believe that the Marauder's Map did have the ability to adapt. How else would it know that a student had graduated or that new students had just arrived?

*ponders the possibilities*

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    I doubt the Map outgrew it's usefulness since JK was asked to which child Harry gave the map. I believe she made a comment that none but James had taken it out of his father's desk. So, we know from that, the Map was still able to be used after the Battle.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbloodproud
    I believe she made a comment that none but James had taken it out of his father's desk. So, we know from that, the Map was still able to be used after the Battle.
    But that only proves he took it, not whether it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTree
    Remembering that staircases do move about, and there are doors pretending to be walls and the other way around, I believe that the Marauder's Map did have the ability to adapt. How else would it know that a student had graduated or that new students had just arrived?
    Yeah, I agree with this. Actually everything depends on what charms the Marauders thought to use on it. They knew about the passageways but not the RoR which for the reason doesn't appear. They were Animgus so it appears they included the enchantment to reveal the real person and not just the form. I wonder though, if the map was modified could it now be made to include the features we fantasize? Hmm.

- Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

lupins_girl2006
    Hey there! So regarding the map, I think it wouldn't adapt to changes made to the school. Someone said that the map still shows the secret passage ways to Hogsmeade, but the book never mentioned whether or not the passage ways were blocked. Based on the fact that Fred and George had to point them out to Harry, I say that the map can not adapt itself because then it would have marked the passage ways as blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot Patronus
    They knew about the passageways but not the RoR which for the reason doesn't appear.
    I think that even if the Marauders had found the RoR, they would not have been able to mar it down. The room was always changing itself to fit the persons' needs. also I always got the impression that the RoR was unplottable. Maybe this is because it's not mentioned on the map.

~Allie

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I really don't think the map would adapt either... Remus (I think) tells Harry that they created the map because they knew the castle and grounds so well after all their nighttime strolls. So obviously, they put down what they knew about Hogwarts and didn't create a spell to map the castle. Based on this, the map would always show Hogwarts as the Marauders knew it.

Someone said that the map would adapt because it also knows who goes to school and who has graduated etc, but that's not true - the map merely shows who is in the castle (regardless of whether they're students, teachers, visitors, intruders, under an invisibility cloak, ghosts, named animals, ...), and that's the spell the Marauders put on the map. Without those moving dots, it's just a plain map of the castle. I think the people-part is enchanted, but the castle-part is.. a map.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey