Thread: Marauder's Map

Hybrid View

SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk

Marauder's Map

Okay, so I know what the map said when Snape read it in the movie, but when did it say in the book. I completely forgot. Help!

-SlthrngNbltyWrnINnk

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Mr Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other peoples business.

Mr Prongs agrees with Mr Moony, and would like to add Professor Snape is an ugly git.

Mr Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a Professor.

Mr Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I'm boldly going to abuse this thread to ask my own question Did Snape know about the map? Because he seems to recognise it (He asks Lupin something like "Don't you think it is more likely that he got it directly from the makers?"). Did he maybe see the Marauders with it, but could never make out what it actually was? (edit: i.e. that it was a map, so he saw them with a blank peace of parchment they were trying to hide or something)
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hmm,

I don't know, he may have seen the Marauders with it, but I'm more inclined to think that he just recognised their nicknames.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    I don't think so, because there's this thing so very common in fanfiction that irritates me a lot-- the fact that everyone, including Martha the first year Hufflepuff, her aunt, her dog, her aunt's dog and her dog's aunt know about the fact that the Marauders call themselves the Marauders, and they have a Map. The books lead us to believe that it's actually not that widely known, and it was more of a secret thing.

So, yeah. I don't think Snape knew about the Map, I find it more likely that Snape recognised the nicknames (Which themselves weren't probably all that widely known).

BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Ascendio
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot
    I find it more likely that Snape recognised the nicknames (Which themselves weren't probably all that widely known).

BB
    I agree, I'm guessing that he wouldn't have actually known what it was, or else he would have done something more about it like not let Harry have it back. But I'm guessing that he would probably recognize the nicknames, or at least realize that they were somewhat related to James, Peter, Sirius, and Remus.