Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British XI

psijupiter
    I've not really heard people say mama, in my experience. Very young children might say 'mama' and parents will encourage them too when they are learning to speak, as 'mama' and 'dada' are easy sounds to say. But that's only very young children, under 18 months.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hmm,

If it were an old fashioned family, or Isla Black type era then Mama - pronounced 'Mummar' (emphasis on the mar bit) could be used. It's a formal way of saying Mum, basically. Also Grandmama, would be used.

It's difficult to explain the pronounciation, so hope you understand.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Finest Firewhisky
    It sounds like only very young children would say "mama" when learning to speak, but Carole has a good point. Mama pronounced "Mumaar" only seems to crop up in period dramas, it's very posh and very old-fashioned.

That said, I never hear any use of the long a (baarth, paarth) because I'm from the uncivilised North

leahsm2
    I was thinking it was a tramautic moment that brought forth the comforts of early childhood, but decided to forgo the salutation entirely, but thanks for your speedy responses .

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Our Harry is definitely a Northernisn, (although it would be Wor Harry in my part of the world and Oor Harry in Scotland). The Mam/Mum thing is to a great extent a north/south issue, too. Mom is a definite no-no.

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

I have a question about using the word 'Mummy'.

When Ginny is little, whould she call Molly 'Mummy'? Or would it just be 'mum' or 'mother'?

EDIT: Thank you, Sarah. That helped a lot.
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I don't think she's use mother, it's a bit too formal. Percy does, and he's a bit pompous, but the twins call her Mum. She would use 'Mummy' when she was younger, but we know that by age ten or so (however old she is in the first book), she calls Molly 'Mum'.

Hope this helps, Alyssa!

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I have a very random story that has been circling in my head for some time now, but there is a plot point I need cleared up before I attempt it.

At this current moment in time, is the singer, Shakira, very well known in the U.K.? About how famous would you consider her to be in England?

Also, at this moment in time, who would you consider to be the most famous bands and musicians in England? If any musicians from other countries, like the states, are famous now too, please include them as well.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Bubblesinmyhead
    I'm writing a PH Fanfic, and I want to run my word choice by some people.
    I use Mum and Da a lot in my fic, so that's not wrong? Plus, I need some extremely slang, sort of Hagrid-like, words for one of my characters to use. I have no idea how to write like that and it's bugging me. Can anyone help?

Finest Firewhisky
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I have a very random story that has been circling in my head for some time now, but there is a plot point I need cleared up before I attempt it.

At this current moment in time, is the singer, Shakira, very well known in the U.K.? About how famous would you consider her to be in England?

Also, at this moment in time, who would you consider to be the most famous bands and musicians in England? If any musicians from other countries, like the states, are famous now too, please include them as well.
    She's reasonably well known, although not as famous when she used to be. I don't listen to pop music, but I think she was in the charts with "Hips Don't Lie" last, and that got a lot of radio play. Typically most American pop-stars will get into the charts over here.