Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British XI

apollo13
    Dining hall is fine, and also cafeteria. Or maybe lunch hall.

Donkeyhole. Or even just donkey. But spell that donkey with an r.

~Evie

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmekirill
    When I want to say someone is a good actor, I say they deserve an Academy Award, which is an internationally known but nevertheless American institution. Is there a British analogue for this?
    I've certainly heard of the Oscars (which would generally be how we were refer to them) and they are very well known over here. Depending on when your fic is set you might want to check whether they were as well known during the Marauders *looks around for Carole*

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    *rushes in to assist Hannah*

Okay, I think we'd say 'collect your Oscar' or something. And I think they'd say that in Marauder era too.

BAFTA's are a Brit eqivalent to the Oscars but I think more people know about the Oscars. We wouldn't say Academy Award.

Okay, I waffled on long enough to receive an Oscar *reaches for tissues*

I'd like to thank my parents ... the director ... the lovely Hannah/Bob ... and ....

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Soo...
    I want to give one of the characters in my Marauder-era fic an obsession with music. I know what bands were popular in the late 70s in general, but which bands were popular in Britain? Did a lot of people still listen to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones (obviously people still listen to them, but I mean - were they still really big like ten years earlier)? Did the Beach Boys reach Britain too? Did anyone listen to Abba? Was Genesis ever really popular?
    The only thing I know for sure is that I want Led Zeppelin in there. But I need some more bands, maybe something I'm missing entirely right now.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

apollo13
    All those bands were just as popular here as they were in the States. By then, communication was good enough that what happened there happened here too, and vice versa.

~Evie

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    All of those bands were popular, but I should mention that The Beatles were on the wane as they broke up quite early in 70's - still popular though.
    Other bands/people to consider were David Bowie, Thin Lizzy and T-Rex. Check out Glam-Rock especially for the fashions.

Abba, were popular but in a very non-cool way. They won the Eurovision song contest, which even then was seen as really sad. They are very popular now, however, but in a retro/kitsch way.

Mind you, Sirius listening to Abba and totally not getting the fact that Muggles think they're dross would be funny.

In 1977, Britain was swamped by punk rock (Sex Pistols, The Clash, Boomtown Rats). This changed music (and fashion) rather dramatically.

Carole
    xxx

Banner by minnabird

eva_writes
    I have a character that is severely allergic to peanuts, and moderately allerigc to chocolate. In America, we have a sort of system in which a child with severe allergies where's a bracelet to indicate this (I dont know if it's for Medicare or what. I see mainly younger children with these, but my friend still wears one). Is this a common thing in Britain, and if not would there be something else?

apollo13
    I've never heard of any sort of system. :/ The child's school would be aware, but apart from that it would be up to the family to check the ingrediants of things.

EDIT: Well, shows how much I know. XD

~Evie

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Yes, we do have bracelets for children and adults who are likely to go into anaphalactic shock.
    People also wear them to indicate if they're allergic to penicillin and bee stings. The allergy sufferer would also be prescribed epi-pens (to deliver adreneline) and they should carry them around at all times. If it's a child in Britain then the medical treatement is all free. An adult would pay about 6 per prescription item.

Evie is right that the schools would be informed and in certain cases peanuts would be banned from the school, due to the life threatening nature of the attack they can cause.

Food labelling is veryt good in this country, in case you're wondering. I have a daughter with an egg allergy and I have to check more or less everything. It's time consuming at times, but it's quite easy to do.

Carole

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by Karaley Dargen
    Soo...
    I want to give one of the characters in my Marauder-era fic an obsession with music. I know what bands were popular in the late 70s in general, but which bands were popular in Britain? Did a lot of people still listen to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones (obviously people still listen to them, but I mean - were they still really big like ten years earlier)? Did the Beach Boys reach Britain too? Did anyone listen to Abba? Was Genesis ever really popular?
    The only thing I know for sure is that I want Led Zeppelin in there. But I need some more bands, maybe something I'm missing entirely right now.
    Late seventies?

1976: The punk explosion! The Clash (Joe Strummer and the boys), the Sex Pistols, The Damned (Captain Sensible), The Stranglers, Siouxsie and the Banshees, X-Ray Spex (lead singer Poly Styrene), Elvis Costello, Wreckless Eric, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, The Undertones (not a silly name amongst them), The Rezillos - plus the yanks - The Ramones, Blondie, Dead Kennedys etc.

The ska revolution started in'78/79 with bands like The Specials, The Selecter, Madness, The Beat and Bad Manners (fronted by Buste Bloodvessel). That's about when reggae bands like UB40 really took off too.

The Beach Boys and the Beatles were big in the sixties, stadium rock took over in the early seventies with Deep Purple, Yes, Pink Floyd etc. selling out. But the Marauders would be about 16 in '76. At that time punk rock was everywhere and bands like Floyd and Zeppelin were what old people listened too - as for the Beatles...

Rock against Racism was a new idea then too. Margaret Thatcher, riots in the streets.

Somehow I can't see Lilly as a punk rocker... Sirius possibly...

However, 76 was the tail end of the British Folk-Rock scene too, with bands like Steeleye Span in the charts. If Lily was a folk fan (and somehow I can see that being the case) then she'd be listening to Fairport Convention, Martin Carthy, Richard and Linda Thompson, possibly the American who I think was more famous over here - Loudon Wainwright III (aka Rufus' dad). The Fairport's most famous female vocalist (Sandy Denny) is the only person to do guest vocals on a Led Zeppelin album (The Battle of Evermore).

N

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers